Newcastle to meet Ashley as billionaire buys control

Scottish Mag

Newcastle United officials are expected to meet with the billionaire Mike Ashley today or tomorrow, possibly at St James' Park, with Ashley's position believed to have been strengthened considerably by the guarantee of the sale of further shareholdings to the company formed specially to purchase the club.

Ashley shocked Newcastle last week in buying Sir John Hall's 41.6% stake and it is understood that he now has up to 54% of shares, either bought or with the promise to. If so, he effectively runs the club.

However, until the legal process of acquiring the extra stock is complete it is unlikely Ashley would appear at the meeting, requested by the club last Friday. Also, until the relevant documentation is signed, there remains an element of doubt about ownership and a rumour of Far Eastern interest resurfaced in the City of London yesterday.

In the meantime Newcastle have begun preliminary moves in the transfer market, with their manager Sam Allardyce negotiating the incoming transfer of Joey Barton from Manchester City and the outgoing movement of captain Scott Parker to West Ham United, who yesterday offered £8.5m for the midfielder.

Allardyce appears not to find Barton's notoriety off-putting - neither did the previous Newcastle manager Glenn Roeder, who also considered buying Barton this summer - and the 24-year-old Liverpudlian has a get-out clause in his contract believed to be £5.5m.

Parker, who has had two difficult seasons on Tyneside despite succeeding Alan Shearer as captain, is expected to join the Hammers once he can prove his fitness after a hernia operation. The 26-year-old would rejoin Alan Curbishley, his manager at Charlton Athletic.

Due to this being the early stages of a takeover, and to Ashley's previous business culture, there is a reluctance to divulge any information. Hall's revelation that he had never met the 42-year-old billionaire from Buckinghamshire face to face is instructive - and viewed with scorn inside St James' Park.

Hall, who has stressed that a human touch is required at Newcastle, said that he had spoken to Ashley over the phone but that he hopes to meet him in the north-east soon.

When Hall talked last week of his decision to sell he referred to "Ashley and his team" but there is as yet no name or face other than Ashley's associated with Newcastle. One spokesman for the company was unable to confirm yesterday whether he or one of his delegated representatives has yet talked with Allardyce while the chairman Freddy Shepherd remains in a Tyneside hospital with pleurisy.

Hall, who has stressed that a human touch is required at Newcastle, said that he had spoken to Ashley over the phone but that he hopes to meet him in the north-east soon.

Bah, like he cares.

John Hall doesn't deserve the stick the likes of Feckless Hall and FFS get (and should get more), but equally NUFC ceased to become anything but £££'s to him a long time ago.

He'd have sold to anyone that gave him a decent enough price.

Hall's revelation that he had never met the 42-year-old billionaire from Buckinghamshire face to face is instructive - and viewed with scorn inside St James' Park.

That is a bit fucking mental, I know Ashley doesn't like the limelight but to complete a £55m deal without even meeting is very strange.

Hall's revelation that he had never met the 42-year-old billionaire from Buckinghamshire face to face is instructive - and viewed with scorn inside St James' Park.

That is a bit fucking mental, I know Ashley doesn't like the limelight but to complete a £55m deal without even meeting is very strange.

You think, we've been scouting players for years* without actually watching them before we sign them.

*Kuyt being the exception.

The scorn in SJP just highlights what little fish they are, people with that much moolah as Ashley don't get their hands dirty doing the business, their "people" handle it all.

Not unusual at all IMO.

Worked for a company once where the MD (double figures millionaire) ordered a new Ferarri, his PA bought it//did the deal on his behalf, he just set the ball rolling and the budget.

Edited by Toonpack

I'd take the 54% figure with a pinch of salt but i'd not be suprised if he was over the 50% mark.

Would tend to agree, the 41% is owned by his holding company, who can say what he's got personally that he doesn't have to declare as yet.

I wouldn't think he'd have to declare anyway, because the holding company is the entity making the bid not him personally. mebe's, possibly, potentially.

Wasn't there some moves in the last few weeks where about 10% of the shares moved somewhere ?

remember that a fortnight before the ashely takeover was announced there was rumours flying round that something was in the pipeline because of unusual buying on the stockmarket

now that coupled with the swoop for the 41% from hall and I would think hes gonna be over 50% anyway, I also think thats why FFS is so gutted and his comments about being stabbed in the back, he knows hes fired

of course it could all be unrelated but I dont think this guy is an idiot

remember that a fortnight before the ashely takeover was announced there was rumours flying round that something was in the pipeline because of unusual buying on the stockmarket

now that coupled with the swoop for the 41% from hall and I would think hes gonna be over 50% anyway, I also think thats why FFS is so gutted and his comments about being stabbed in the back, he knows hes fired

Billionaire's usually aren't, ruthless, evil bastards - yes, idiots - no

Sooner the better for me

Billionaire's usually aren't, ruthless, evil bastards - yes, idiots - no

Sooner the better for me

Quoted for the truth

Does anyone know the hospital and ward that Sir Fred of nation is in?

Maybe we should all send in a few get wellget out soon cards.

What's the odds on him being in a bed next to Pud and getting an ear bashing from the lanky streak? ;)

What's the odds on him being in a bed next to Pud and getting an ear bashing from the lanky streak? ;)

If he was next to Pud we'd have seen plenty of photos on here by now surely!

If he was next to Pud we'd have seen plenty of photos on here by now surely!

Photo's of fatty in bed. That thought should see me off food for the next few days :secret: