Ashley wants a global superstar

Jimbo

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isnt raul very similar to luque. Good finisher but slow and very lightweight. Hed get launched all over by most of the leagues centre halves

Deco ahead of Raul. Deco makes Barcelona tick and does a lot of dirty work in centre midfield.

Luque was faster than Raul has ever been. Raul wouldn't add anything to Newcastle.

Isnt raul very similar to luque. Good finisher but slow and very lightweight. Hed get launched all over by most of the leagues centre halves

Deco ahead of Raul. Deco makes Barcelona tick and does a lot of dirty work in centre midfield.

Luque was faster than Raul has ever been. Raul wouldn't add anything to Newcastle.

I'd rather take Iniesta over Deco, but this story has been a bit of a no-brainer from day one, Mike Ashley from the start spoke of NUFC becoming a global brand, and that means "Beckham" style players, household names that promote the club without having a trophy to earn it, the problem being, without a trophy or Champions League football it is hard to attract a marque name.

I'd rather take Iniesta over Deco, but this story has been a bit of a no-brainer from day one, Mike Ashley from the start spoke of NUFC becoming a global brand, and that means "Beckham" style players, household names that promote the club without having a trophy to earn it, the problem being, without a trophy or Champions League football it is hard to attract a marque name.

Did he? I think these are a lot of assumptions. So far the new ownership hasn't really given away their targets and how to achieve them, both financially as well in regard to success on the field. And I don't take too much from NOTW articles. In 99% they pure speculation as well.

And even if we did - such a player will probably want a release clause............

Did he? I think these are a lot of assumptions. So far the new ownership hasn't really given away their targets and how to achieve them, both financially as well in regard to success on the field. And I don't take too much from NOTW articles. In 99% they pure speculation as well.

Yes he did, from when the news first broke that Ashley had purchased Sir John Hall's shares, he was talking about turning NUFC into a global brand.

* funnilly enough, it was quoted in one of your posts. :D

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?...news:&st=20

Deco ahead of Raul. Deco makes Barcelona tick and does a lot of dirty work in centre midfield.Luque was faster than Raul has ever been. Raul wouldn't add anything to Newcastle.

Does he fuck, he's a luxury player!

If I had to pick one or the other it would be Deco though, although ehy not buy the worlds next big soccer superstar with massive potential.......................................RICARDO QUARESMA please Mike!

Guest Patrokles

Is it just work permit gubbins that's stopping us exploiting the south american market more? Players like Deco are ten-a-penny down there.

Is it just work permit gubbins that's stopping us exploiting the south american market more? Players like Deco are ten-a-penny down there.

It is frustrating that work permits hold us back from picking up players like Robinho, Kerlon, Palacio, Gago, Sorbis etc, but players like Deco being ten-a-penny, I don't think so.

Can you name any examples?

There are loads touted as the next Maradona who turn out to really average, Alessandro D'Alessandro for example.

d'alessandro has been good/ class for pompey last year and zaragoza this.... better technically than what we have on either wing by a mile!

Agreed, but worthy in the same breath as Maradona ?

d'alessandro has been good/ class for pompey last year and zaragoza this.... better technically than what we have on either wing by a mile!

But not a patch on Deco thats my point, who in turn is not even a 1/4 the player Maradona was.

Deco ahead of Raul. Deco makes Barcelona tick and does a lot of dirty work in centre midfield.Luque was faster than Raul has ever been. Raul wouldn't add anything to Newcastle.

Does he fuck, he's a luxury player!

err, yes he does. he was more of a luxury player before he joined Barcelona. when he's playing in midfield with xavi he really gets stuck in. i'm pretty certain he was the most fouled and the player who committed the most fouls in la liga when barcelona won. when deco isn't playing Barcelona don't link up as well.

regards D'Alessandro, technically he's excellent, but he lacks a bit of pace which means that although he beats the player he can't get away. Also Victor Fernandez has spent all this year playing him right wing which means he cuts inside to shoot rather than crossing. When he played left wing against Barcelona at the Romareda he tore them apart.

Newcastle should try and sign Diogo from Zaragoza, he's a quality right back.

different players.

also maradona was extroadinarily quick and had great strength, as well as his great technical skills.

d'alessandro technically is better than deco, however is often perceived to be lightweight and definitely does not put his foot in as much, also does not have great pace ( is quite quick nonetheless), like maradona he is all left foot.... deco is a midfielder that can play anywhere across the midfield, and can do the muck and bullets stuff as well as provide for the strikers. he is fouled a lot and dives a lot....

Yes he did, from when the news first broke that Ashley had purchased Sir John Hall's shares, he was talking about turning NUFC into a global brand.

* funnilly enough, it was quoted in one of your posts. :icon_lol:

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?...news:&st=20

Yes, but I still don't think that global brand necessarily means "Beckham" style players. Sure, Ashley will want to make money, but what I wanted to say was that nobody really knows how he will try to achieve it. The "Galactico" approach would be one way, sporting success and trophies probably another. Both are not necessary excluding each other though...

As for D'Alessandro. Zaragoza just bought him as he was on a year long loan there before. So I can't see them selling him that soon.

I see what you mean Isegrim, but if say, Sevilla win 2 or 3 La Liga's in a row, do you think people around the world are all of a sudden going to stop supporting Real Madrid & Barcelona? If they had a few "Galacticos" in there while doing that, then they'd have a much better chance of becoming a global brand.

I see what you mean Isegrim, but if say, Sevilla win 2 or 3 La Liga's in a row, do you think people around the world are all of a sudden going to stop supporting Real Madrid & Barcelona? If they had a few "Galacticos" in there while doing that, then they'd have a much better chance of becoming a global brand.

Sevilla are perfectly happy with the way things are going. and surely with Dani Alves they are beginning to create their own 'galactico' rather than buying them in.

Sevilla are perfectly happy with the way things are going. and surely with Dani Alves they are beginning to create their own 'galactico' rather than buying them in.

True, but they are not aspiring to this global status that Ashley wants, to do that you not only need success on the pitch but "galactico" players too.

Spanish star is on United’s list

Jul 9 2007

by Luke Edwards, The Journal

NEWCASTLE United are hoping to unveil their most spectacular signing of the summer with Sam Allardyce believed to be closing in on a big-name player from Spain. The Magpies have been strongly linked with Barcelona pair Edmilson and Eidur Gudjohnsen this close season and, while their interest in those two players remains, United have also been holding talks over the availability of other potential targets from La Liga.

The Journal understands that Newcastle have been offered Portugal international midfielder Deco by officials at the Nou Camp and have also made tentative enquiries regarding the possibility of signing Cameroon striker Samuel Eto’o while discussing Gudjohnsen’s future with the Catalan giants.

Barcelona will attempt to sign Chelsea’s Frank Lampard before the close of the transfer window, but want to sell Deco to make room for the England star in the centre of midfield. However, they are not interested in losing Eto’o, despite his problems with manager Frank Rijkaard last season.

Deco, the former Porto player who won the Champions League under Jose Mourinho, would be an attractive proposition for Newcastle and he is also the sort of big name signing which would signal United’s new-found financial muscle under new owner Mike Ashley.

However, the strengthening of his midfield is not Allardyce’s priority at the moment as he continues to put his players through a gruelling pre-season workout in Austria and it remains to be seen whether Deco is the big name player rumoured to be on his way to St James’s Park. The Newcastle squad do not return to the North-East until tomorrow, although it is thought at least one new signing will follow their return this week.

Reports over the weekend have also claimed Newcastle are interested in Real Madrid captain Raul, although the Spanish international has constantly been linked with a move to the Premiership in the past few years only to remain at the Bernabeu.

Nevertheless, Newcastle’s continued interest in strikers will once again raise question marks about the future of Obafemi Martins who has failed to make any assurances about whether he wants to stay at St James’s Park next season. Allardyce has held one-on-one talks with the Nigerian international at the club’s training base in Austria and has told the 22-year-old that he wants him to stay next season.

However, Allardyce also knows that he can do nothing to prevent the former Inter Milan star from leaving if a club activates the release clause in his contract by making a £13m bid.

While that would be a blow to United’s new manager, the size of the fee would represent a £3m profit for the club on the £10m they paid to bring him over from Italy and would give Allardyce enough money to sign a suitable replacement.

While Allardyce’s main concern is to strengthen his defence after he inherited a side which released its two first-choice centre-backs at the end of last season in Titus Bramble and Craig Moore, there are other areas he will look to improve if the opportunity arrives.

Meanwhile, Sven-Göran Eriksson has dismissed claims that he is interested in signing Michael Owen following his arrival as the new manager of Manchester City last week.

The former England coach has been quick to distance himself from reports that he would attempt to sign Owen.

Eriksson, who also ruled out a move for David Beckham, said: “Michael Owen is always a very good football player. Michael will always score goals but there has always been a big question mark over him in the last few years. I don’t want to read that I am thinking of signing him.”

Guest Patrokles
have also made tentative enquiries regarding the possibility of signing Cameroon striker Samuel Eto’o

ccl5.jpg

Guest Patrokles
What a very strange picture, its only got two legs!

Yeah, I wasn't sure about the dog either. Best google images could do.

True, but they are not aspiring to this global status that Ashley wants, to do that you not only need success on the pitch but "galactico" players too.

We are still not knowing what kind of "global" status Ashley really wants. Newcastle United are global brand already anyway, so it's more about making a better profit of it. But there are loads of ways to do it. "Trophy" players, flair players, celebrities, players from abroad (Asian market) etc. For me there is too much guesswork involved to really see what Ashley's "planning" :icon_lol: :icon_lol: <_< is about.