Places That Are shit...

Tom

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nottingham's a great city - bit ugly though.

Right then:

Herne Bay

Margate

Ramsgate

Sittingbourne

Sheerness

Ashford

Faversham

Folkestone

Dover

Rainham

Rochester

Gillingham

Chatham

Strood

Dymchurch

I love living in the wonderful Garden of England.

:lol: I was thinking about defending Kent but all those places are shit! Ashford's not too bad though, came 4th best place to live in Location, Location, Location once! Canterbury's quite nice, Maidstone's ok and there's a lot of nice countryside out there as well, just not much by the way of cities.

True I remember those Channel 4 fools liking Ashford (and also Eastleigh which has been mentioned). It's got it's good points definitely, but it's overally pretty rough - some intimidating council estates there. There's worse places I admit. Canterbury's nice though - poor nightlife but great town centre. Maidstone's not bad and has a good town centre. There's some nice countryside definitely and places like Tunbridge Wells and Sevenoaks are also classy places (if that's what you like). It's just that most of the towns are pretty bad.

croydon

staines

slough

chessington

tottenham

the area near crystal palaces ground as well... awful.

Yeah Selhurst is a right dive, but that goes under the Croydon category I think. Hate it! Always feel nervous if unfortunately I have to walk through Croydon.

Right then:

Herne Bay

Margate

Ramsgate

Sittingbourne

Sheerness

Ashford

Faversham

Folkestone

Dover

Rainham

Rochester

Gillingham

Chatham

Strood

Dymchurch

:baby: I was thinking about defending Kent but all those places are shit! Ashford's not too bad though, came 4th best place to live in Location, Location, Location once! Canterbury's quite nice, Maidstone's ok and there's a lot of nice countryside out there as well, just not much by the way of cities.

True I remember those Channel 4 fools liking Ashford (and also Eastleigh which has been mentioned). It's got it's good points definitely, but it's overally pretty rough - some intimidating council estates there. There's worse places I admit. Canterbury's nice though - poor nightlife but great town centre. Maidstone's not bad and has a good town centre. There's some nice countryside definitely and places like Tunbridge Wells and Sevenoaks are also classy places (if that's what you like). It's just that most of the towns are pretty bad.

Ashford's not rough at all really, there's only one intimidating council estate I can think of and I've lived for long enough.. the town itself isn't so great but the surrounding areas and villages are very nice. It's more Ashford District that's the nice place rather than Ashford itself.

Right then:

Herne Bay

Margate

Ramsgate

Sittingbourne

Sheerness

Ashford

Faversham

Folkestone

Dover

Rainham

Rochester

Gillingham

Chatham

Strood

Dymchurch

:baby: I was thinking about defending Kent but all those places are shit! Ashford's not too bad though, came 4th best place to live in Location, Location, Location once! Canterbury's quite nice, Maidstone's ok and there's a lot of nice countryside out there as well, just not much by the way of cities.

Ashford's not rough at all really, there's only one intimidating council estate I can think of and I've lived for long enough.. the town itself isn't so great but the surrounding areas and villages are very nice. It's more Ashford District that's the nice place rather than Ashford itself.

Fair enough, there are some nice areas around it and the fact it gets possibly most sun in the country helps. You live in Kent currently?

Yeah, when I'm not at uni. Ashford area, hence knowing about it. My main gripe is the lack of decent nightlife in the entire county, there just aren't any proper cities.

Yeah, when I'm not at uni. Ashford area, hence knowing about it. My main gripe is the lack of decent nightlife in the entire county, there just aren't any proper cities.
True though there are worse places for nightlife. Think I'll go to a city when I go to uni the year after next. Currently living in Bridge - quite a nice (but unsurprisingly boring) village southeast of Canterbury.

Byker

Walker

Elswick

Scotswood

Killingworth (New Town)

Longbenton

Howdon

Sunderland

Seaham

Newton Aycliffe

Consett

Blyth

Cambois

Newbiggen

Middlesbrough

Stockton

Billingham

Thornaby

Liverpool

Birkenhead

Brixton

Wembley

Finsbury Park

Wigan

Leicester

Watford

Stoke

Grimsby

Surprise surprise - Stevie puts Liverpool top of his list! :baby:

Seriously, have you ever been?? Most people's perception of a place that they think is shit is based on something they've heard. Liverpool has a stigma about it, very much like Newcastle which probably does it a terrible injustice.

Nah, Liverpool is a bit of a dump. It does have some very nice areas, but on the whole, it's awful. I've got relatives on Merseyside (Wirral), so I've been down that way more times than I can remember since I was born. You drive through Liverpool from the Motorway to the Mersey tunnels, and it's full of derelict buildings/half-demolished buildings, huge bits of wasteland, and it's not like it's a temporary thing, I've seen it year after year. You think about some of the ugly eyesores of the 60s and 70s in Central Newcastle - thankfully we don't have too many, but central Liverpool is full of them. Outside Lime Street station is pretty bad - you've got St Georges Hall directly opposite the station, which is a lovely building surrounded by awful 60s monstrosities. Admitedly, in the last few years the centre has been tarted up a bit mind. And despite numerous trips to see us away at Liverpool and Everton, the area around the two grounds is incredibly desperate, and I can't think of a worse, more deprived area I've seen.

To be fair though, every big city has it's good and bad parts. London, for example, may be the capital but it is a massive city, so obviously there's plenty of slums like Peckham, Lewisham, Hackney, Tower Hamlets etc and even some very bad places further out like Croydon and Tottenham. Despite that it's still a fantastic city and I'd rather live there than a pleasant village or little town with nothing exciting to do. Also, people's perception of what is a good place varies a lot a some may just want somewhere with lots of nightlife, whereas others like the place to be calm and attractive.

Bishop Auckland

Newton Aycliffe

Nottingham

Hull

Pennywell

Bagdad

Basra

but Bagdad wasn't too bad until we started bombing it

Oh aye absolute paradise it was.

Newton Aycliffe really should be bombed however.

Have you been like? Because I bet he has :baby:

Only when I worked for Saddam's retirement company.

Of course really it's been all down hill since Babylon, had a good pint there.

Basingstoke - wouldn't wish my worst enemy on this toilet!!!

Stevenage - sorry Gejon, but the town centre needs condemning........

I only work there :unsure:

I agree btw. Wow thats Luton and Stevenage mentioned, both are only about 3-4 miles away from me :lol:

I bloody live in Luton! Well outskirts but close enough :(

To be fair though, every big city has it's good and bad parts. London, for example, may be the capital but it is a massive city, so obviously there's plenty of slums like Peckham, Lewisham, Hackney, Tower Hamlets etc and even some very bad places further out like Croydon and Tottenham. Despite that it's still a fantastic city and I'd rather live there than a pleasant village or little town with nothing exciting to do. Also, people's perception of what is a good place varies a lot a some may just want somewhere with lots of nightlife, whereas others like the place to be calm and attractive.

hackney's not that bad man.

Howay man, it's not the most exciting part of the world but "slum" is pushing it :lol: