Places That Are shit...

Tom

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair though, every big city has it's good and bad parts. London, for example, may be the capital but it is a massive city, so obviously there's plenty of slums like Peckham, Lewisham, Hackney, Tower Hamlets etc and even some very bad places further out like Croydon and Tottenham. Despite that it's still a fantastic city and I'd rather live there than a pleasant village or little town with nothing exciting to do. Also, people's perception of what is a good place varies a lot a some may just want somewhere with lots of nightlife, whereas others like the place to be calm and attractive.

Howay man, it's not the most exciting part of the world but "slum" is pushing it :lol:

Maybe not all of it, but it certainly looks terrible when I've been through there. Do you live there?

To be fair though, every big city has it's good and bad parts. London, for example, may be the capital but it is a massive city, so obviously there's plenty of slums like Peckham, Lewisham, Hackney, Tower Hamlets etc and even some very bad places further out like Croydon and Tottenham. Despite that it's still a fantastic city and I'd rather live there than a pleasant village or little town with nothing exciting to do. Also, people's perception of what is a good place varies a lot a some may just want somewhere with lots of nightlife, whereas others like the place to be calm and attractive.

Howay man, it's not the most exciting part of the world but "slum" is pushing it :lol:

Maybe not all of it, but it certainly looks terrible when I've been through there. Do you live there?

Sort of - I live in the borough but not in Lewisham proper. It's where I go shopping though. The centre's a bit rough around the edges but I find it does the job. Mind, I'd never dare to claim my standards are particularly high. :unsure:

Sort of - I live in the borough but not in Lewisham proper. It's where I go shopping though. The centre's a bit rough around the edges but I find it does the job. Mind, I'd never dare to claim my standards are particularly high. :unsure:

In fairness I don't think anywhere in this country is a slum, as they're more the favela-esque towns you find in LEDCs - just a negative word I like to use. :(

In fairness I'd much rather live in London than where I do now and I won't expect to live in anywhere classy if I go to uni there.

In fairness I'd much rather live in London than where I do now and I won't expect to live in anywhere classy if I go to uni there.

All I'll say is there's some pretty good places to live if you're not frightened of wandering off the beaten track a little - I see so many students sticking religiously to places on the nearest/most direct tube/bus route to their campus, when they could be saving money and/or getting a much better place just by doing a bit more research. But then I live sahrf of the river and just off the tube map (though still in zone 2), so I would be trumpeting the virtues of the lifestyle (such as it is). So ignore me. :lol:

What unis/courses are you eyeing up, anyway?

All I'll say is there's some pretty good places to live if you're not frightened of wandering off the beaten track a little - I see so many students sticking religiously to places on the nearest/most direct tube/bus route to their campus, when they could be saving money and/or getting a much better place just by doing a bit more research. But then I live sahrf of the river and just off the tube map (though still in zone 2), so I would be trumpeting the virtues of the lifestyle (such as it is). So ignore me. :lol:

What unis/courses are you eyeing up, anyway?

I'm not frightened of big cities - I know lots of people who will quickly say how rubbish a certain city is and tell me I'll get shot there etc etc. Not too bothered myself.

As for unis, I'm looking all round the country really, but in London I'm considering UCL, King's and possibly LSE (if I choose to study politics/international relations), but not too sure about the course yet. Also got the joys of my results yet to come out so I can see how bad my grades are first. :unsure:

Fair enough like. Always nice to have options, just so long as you've a vague idea of where you're going beyond that. Not that I ever had one and I've ended up alright, so hey. :lol:

And you can shut it, Renton - we've got trees and everything!

Fair enough like. Always nice to have options, just so long as you've a vague idea of where you're going beyond that. Not that I ever had one and I've ended up alright, so hey. :lol:

And you can shut it, Renton - we've got trees and everything!

Aye, got some ideas - like going into the management area or perhaps journalism, though a bit of work experience might help for that.

I'd warn against LSE like if you don't have perfect GCSEs. I was told I would probably be rejected with 6 A*s.
Cheers for that - I don't have 6A*s and it's unlikely I'm applying there anyway (definitely not doing economics at least).

I'd much rather the nuke the entire place. An option with NO downsides IMO.

if you want a REAL hell hole try Nikkel in N Russia................

http://www.arcticphoto.co.uk/supergal/rko/.../rko0044-19.htm

http://www.barentsphoto.com/viewimage2.php...14088&no=15

its what it says on the packet - a bloody great nickel smelter right in the middle of town belching out vile fumes

the dust around town has little glittery bits of nickel in it - - really good for the lungs I think

theres a couple of grim bars and 30,00 folk dying by inches

I would hate to live in London. I like fresh air.

I'd warn against LSE like if you don't have perfect GCSEs. I was told I would probably be rejected with 6 A*s.

Why would a university reject you on the basis of your GCSEs? It's the A levels that count, no?

Why would a university reject you on the basis of your GCSEs? It's the A levels that count, no?

It is, but because nearly all LSE applicants are predicted AAA, and they're not allowed to interview (because 40% of their students are internationals), it's the only method they have apart from the personal statement.

It's generally only LSE and Durham who are uptight about GCSEs, the rest don't care (including Oxbridge).