Obsolete Technology

Jimbo

Anyone still using obsolete technology on a regular basis ?

Record player

VHS/Betamax

Audio tapes

Floppy disks

Pager

Hand Wound Watches

Any other electronic gadget which is no longer being manufactured?

Record players a niche, not obsolete :baby:

surely he means a record player, not "decks".. I know they're essentially the same thing. I'd maintain they're sufficiently dissimilar to warrant distinction.

i use an out of date reel to reel machine on the musical project i'm currently doing.

also zip drives for one of my samplers.

are they niche or obsolete. ?

Awesome

Which stupid idiots bought a mini disk then?!

Not me, but I did get close to buying one of those DAT tape thingies back in the day.

:baby:

My favourite portable music player ever was my minidisc player, and anyone I speak to that had one agrees.

It could record too. I have loads of live gigs I recorded onto minidisc. Can't beat that permanent record of a misspent youth.

Not me, but I did get close to buying one of those DAT tape thingies back in the day.

We back up some servers with them at work, today!

My favourite portable music player ever was my minidisc player, and anyone I speak to that had one agrees.

It could record too. I have loads of live gigs I recorded onto minidisc. Can't beat that permanent record of a misspent youth.

Yea, my mate used to say exactly the same thing!! My response was along the lines of "yea, but it cost 300 quid!!" - Going by standard depreciation of a standard mini disk I would say yours, in todays market, is now worth 7.2 pence.

Yea, my mate used to say exactly the same thing!! My response was along the lines of "yea, but it cost 300 quid!!" - Going by standard depreciation of a standard mini disk I would say yours, in todays market, is now worth 7.2 pence.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MZ-NH700-Blue...961&sr=8-10

I remember someone buying one of the first MP3 players that came out. Probably back in 2000. It cos about £180, iirc, and could only hold 10 songs. He had to take it back 3 or 4 times as it kept dying.

Edited by The Mighty Hog

I still put an album on the record player from time to time. Some 'digitally remastered' cd's of old vinyl records just do not sound 100% exactly like their original masters and just don't sound as good imo (Aqualung by Jethro Tull is an example of this that springs immediately to mind).

I still use a VHS recorder/player now and again. I have the VHS/DVD player in the front room and a DVD recorder/player in the back room.

I have me old tranny that I carry around the house to listen to the radio AM/FM.

I still use audio cassette, floppys and vhs from time to time and I'm just about to update my medium-wave clock-radio to a DAB model. I agree that anyone who used/uses minidisc swears by it. Sony seem to have a history of backing the wrong horse, format wise, with betamax and minidisc. I wonder how they'll do with Blu-Ray?

I've also recently started wearing a watch again that I got in the eighties, a dual time analogue-digital one. I reckon enough time has passed now for it to have stopped being old and become retro.

I remember someone buying one of the first MP3 players that came out. Probably back in 2000. It cos about £180, iirc, and could only hold 10 songs. He had to take it back 3 or 4 times as it kept dying.

Wasn't a Creative DAP (aka Nomad) was it? Portable my arse. Lugging that around would give Geoff Capes a hernia. And the four AA batteries were shagged after a couple of hours.

I have a Minidisc player and put it to good use as I used it for radio work. Still have about 10 brand new unused discs on a shelf somewhere.

I won one on the radio when they first came out. No one else seemed to have even heard of MP3s, I was the shit. Creative Rio I think it was called, 32mb baby. :baby: