Allardyce Talk-In: What was said

Tom_NUFC

Interesting, although I'm sure they were careful in selecting the questions asked. But quite good none the less.

He started by saying that he had outstayed his welcome and Bolton, and that he "must have been mad" to turn down managing Newcastle, when the job was offered to him three years ago.

Turning to the topic of the backroom staff, Allardyce revealed that he intends to build a team of 18 to 20 people in various positions to work with the first team squad. Ideally, he'd like his backroom team to be people who have been rejected as youngsters or who have had their careers ended through injury, and have then gone to University to study Sports Science or Sports Psychology. He feels that people that have done this have a 'football mentality' and can understand what it is to be a footballer.

He commented that missing out on Europe this season may work in United's favour. It would allow more time between games to implement the new training methods and resolve the injury problems. He has been speaking to a number of players who feel that they have been rushed back from injuries in the past. Allardyce thinks that it is no good rushing a player back who is only 80 or 90 per cent, as they are not fully fit and will simply break down again, thereby worsening the club's injury problems. Players must be allowed to make full recoveries before taking part in games again.

Allardyce also revealed that he hasn't made a final decision on who is to captain Newcastle this season, and that it might even be a player he is yet to sign. He is still hoping to bring in three or four new faces before the season starts. When asked if reports in tonight's Evening Chronicle were true, that he is looking to sell Obafemi Martins in order to raise funds for new signings, he responded with a firm and confident "no". No names of new signings were mentioned, but he is looking to bring in a left back. He also said that the squad was in need of 'big defenders' to play against big opposition players, and that they are also needed to defend against set pieces, as many games are won or lost on a free kick or a corner. Allardyce cited, the friendly match with Carlisle as an example. Newcastle, he said had played the better football and dominated the game, but went a goal down through a free kick, and therefore ended up with a draw when they had deserved a win. Allardyce wants to instill the new training methods into the players this season, so that when new players join the club, it is not just him and his coaching staff who are telling them what to do, and that the players are also showing them what to and helping them as well. That way everyone is in it together, fighting for each other.

Tactics-wise, Allardyce said that he prefers to use 4-3-3 over 4-4-2, as he feels it allows more players to both defend (5 rather than 4) and attack (3 rather than 2). However, tactics have to be altered according to the opposition. He feels that while Newcastle has good players, Manchester United's players are better, and therefore it wouldn't make sense to play the way they do against them, as they will win. What you have to do, is play another way, and try to confuse them. Allardyce cited his time at Bolton. Over the last ten games in which Bolton played Arsenal, they won five, drew three and lost only two. Despite Arsenal having better players, Bolton played a system which upset Arsenal, and "kicked the shit out of them".

When asked about how he gets perceived 'bad boys' to play for him, Allardyce revealed that you have to find out what went wrong at their previous club, that he talks to the player in question and finds out what he can do for that player to help him and make him feel wanted. On a similar subject, discussing his management technique he said that he uses different techniques for different players. You have to 'bollock' some players, because that's what they respond to best, but that doing the same to another player might make him completely lose his confidence, and so you have to use another tactic to get the best out of them. He said that something he has learnt is that "you can't go fighting people."He revealed that as a young manager he wanted "to fight everyone" but it doesn't work (something we know only too well from the Souness era).

On the question of what he would change about Football, he feels that the offside law needs to be looked at. He doesn't know what it is anymore, nor do the players, the referees or linesmen. It is inconsistent, FIFA and UEFA need to resolve this and clearly define the law.

Allardyce was also asked what motivates him, to which he answered that he wanted to put something back. He had achieved his childhood dream of being a professional footballer, and then having retired, he felt a 'hole' which could only be replaced by either managing or coaching "besides, I know bugger all about anything else."

Edited by Tom_NUFC

Were you impressed with him Renton? Anything you took away from it that Tom hasn't mentioned?

Nothing to add but yes, I was impressed with his professional attitude. I think he's a manager that will command respect and as a tactician he is second to none.

Edit: I might add that I think the football will be more functional than pretty, but that's fine by me.

Edited by Renton

Kicked the shit out of them. :icon_lol:

Cheers Tom

:icon_lol:

Its funny, but also true, he knew exactly how to play Arsenal and consistently troubled a team far better than his, something we have rarely achieved. Our previous two managers have Plan A for all teams they play (which is usually shit) and when that doesn't work they sit and do fuck all, and when its too late bring on a sub or two usually for the wrong players!

Were you impressed with him Renton? Anything you took away from it that Tom hasn't mentioned?

Nothing to add but yes, I was impressed with his professional attitude. I think he's a manager that will command respect and as a tactician he is second to none.

Last week you were getting a bit depressed/negative about next season, but you say you're reassured after last night. Was he that impressive?

I wish I'd fucking gone!

Last week you were getting a bit depressed/negative about next season, but you say you're reassured after last night. Was he that impressive?

I wish I'd fucking gone!

I was impressed actually, and so was Tom by the sounds of it. Mind, I got there for 5 to get a seat and was a wee bit pissed by the time he came on at 7.30!

I wish I'd fucking gone!

I was impressed actually, and so was Tom by the sounds of it. Mind, I got there for 5 to get a seat and was a wee bit pissed by the time he came on at 7.30!

You pissed? I don't believe you for a minute... :icon_lol:

I wish I'd fucking gone!

On the lash with two halves of shandy again? :icon_lol:

:icon_lol: If you were there for 2.5 hours before he got there, you'll have been fucking legless by the time BSA showed up. I can just picture you.

BSA: I can confirm that Obafemi Martins is not for sale. Why would I want to.....

Renton: SHOW US YER COCK!

:icon_lol: If you were there for 2.5 hours before he got there, you'll have been fucking legless by the time BSA showed up. I can just picture you.

BSA: I can confirm that Obafemi Martins is not for sale. Why would I want to.....

Renton: SHOW US YER COCK!

:icon_lol::razz:;):razz: