Hammers capture Dyer

bawan

There was always some stuff about him having some kind of condition which meant he was destined to suffer hamstring problems.

I've always been in two minds about him - could/should/sometimes was a very good player but missed too much. I don't think he was helped by the off the field shit of course.

Quite sad. I know the boozy lifestyle doesn't help, and his attitude stank.

I'll always associate him with a really great period in the clubs history though.

Himself, Nobby and Bellamy linking up was a joy to watch.

i thought he was class player for us, despite not scoring enough goals. the main problem was that he didn't play enough games. you've got to wonder why a player that seemed naturally fit was so injury prone. i'm guessing he didn't look after himself off the field which is why he's had a decent career rather than a great one. could have been a top player. shame he's set to retire at 31

i thought he was class player for us, despite not scoring enough goals. the main problem was that he didn't play enough games. you've got to wonder why a player that seemed naturally fit was so injury prone. i'm guessing he didn't look after himself off the field which is why he's had a decent career rather than a great one. could have been a top player. shame he's set to retire at 31

I don't think he was a 'class' player for us. I know you'll compare him to who we've got now etc. but you were lucky if you got a good performance 1 game in 3. He made nearly 200 appearances for us as well btw so while he was injured a hell of a lot I don't think he came close to fulfilling his early potential under Robson despite having numerous opportunities. Was he any better at any stage than he was when he first joined? I don't think he was.

Agree with Barney about him linking up well with Solano in particular though.

I'll forever remember him against Everton (I think) taking a throw-in and chasing it down himself to rocket past their back line and score. I remember thinking I'd never seen such pace!

but as has been mentioned made of glass and wanted to play a free role without responsibility

Great goal that like. I think he'd just come off the bench. I was in the Black Bull near Four Lane Ends watching it and I jumped up and knocked a light off the wall. I'd forgotten all about that. :icon_lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Fucking hell, i knew the stats were bad for his West Ham career but i never knew they were this bad...........

Dyer straits! Five starts, no goals...and Kieron Dyer will cost West Ham 30million quid!

Kieron Dyer's West Ham nightmare will cost the club close to a staggering £30million over the course of his four-year contract at Upton Park.

Dyer has started only five Barclays Premier League games for the Hammers in two-and-a-half years and has yet to score a goal for the club.

Kieron Dyer

The former England midfielder is fast becoming an emblem of the reckless financial regime of Icelandic owner Bjorgolfur Gudmundsson and his sidekick Eggert Magnusson.

West Ham’s medical team raised doubts about Dyer’s signing when he arrived from Newcastle in August 2007 but the transfer was rushed through before the deadline because the owners were keen to showcase top-class players.

Dyer, who has managed just 558 minutes of League action for the club, signed a four-year deal reported to be worth £70,000 a week but broke his right leg soon after his debut and missed more than a year as he suffered complications in his recovery.

West Ham's poor return

His transfer fee was £7m - £1m more than the figure publicised at the time - and the agents’ fees on the deal cost the Hammers another £1m.

Together with bonuses and National Insurance contributions, the club can expect to have paid out the thick end of £30m for him by the time his contract has expired at the end of next season.

Dyer has struggled through this campaign with hamstring problems and the 31-year-old has not played since limping off at Bolton in December.

Dyer

He is closing in on another first-team return but if his fitness fails and he breaks down again, West Ham could seek to negotiate a deal to pay up his contract and bring to a premature end his disastrous spell at the club.

Such lavish rewards and lengthy contracts are not likely to be encouraged by new owners David Sullivan and David Gold, who signed Mido on loan from Middlesbrough last month for a basic wage of just £1,000 a week.

Just seen that on the Beeb. Mind, before this season, it would be a toss-up as to who got the worse deal, them or us with his replacement, Alan Smith.

I don't think he was a 'class' player for us. I know you'll compare him to who we've got now etc. but you were lucky if you got a good performance 1 game in 3. He made nearly 200 appearances for us as well btw so while he was injured a hell of a lot I don't think he came close to fulfilling his early potential under Robson despite having numerous opportunities. Was he any better at any stage than he was when he first joined? I don't think he was.

Agree with Barney about him linking up well with Solano in particular though.

when fit, i'd argue he was class despite not scoring enough goals. he was pacey and exciting, made things happen and could play in about 6 positions. the midfield of robert speed dyer and solano was as exciting as any i've seen at nufc in my lifetime.

There are people in the world I have more sympathy for frankly.

I think this sums up my views.

I'll forever remember him against Everton (I think) taking a throw-in and chasing it down himself to rocket past their back line and score. I remember thinking I'd never seen such pace!

but as has been mentioned made of glass and wanted to play a free role without responsibility

I don't think I've ever seen a goal that was due to and displayed such sheer athleticism.

West Ham co-owner David Sullivan will ask all the players and staff at the debt-ridden club to take a voluntary wage cut at the end of the season.

Sullivan also says the Premier League club, who have debts of £110m, will face "Armageddon" if they go down.

The Hammers are in the midst of a relegation battle after taking only six points from their last 10 league games.

"We are going to ask everyone at the club to voluntarily take a wage reduction," Sullivan told BBC Sport.

Sullivan also revealed that manager Gianfranco Zola would be among those expected to take a pay cut at the end season and added anyone unhappy with the request could leave the club.

"Gianfranco is highly paid and I think all managers in the Premier League are overpaid," said O'Sullivan.

"Everywhere you look there is excess. Everyone is overpaid for the job they do. There are 110 mobile phones being paid for by the club and you have minor people with Blackberry phones and other types.

"Already members of the administrative staff have come to us and said, 'look we know we are overpaid for the job we do but we are good people and we'd like to stay and we are prepared to take a voluntary wage cut'."

Sullivan and co-owner David Gold, who left Birmingham in November following Hong Kong businessman Carson Yeung's takeover, took control of West Ham last month after buying a 50% shareholding.

West Ham's new owners say they have uncovered the severity of the club's financial position over the past few weeks and Sullivan fears that they could repeat the demise of Newcastle, who were relegated from the Premier League in 2009 after a season of off-field turmoil.

"I can't believe the contracts I've inherited," added Sullivan.

"The club is in a mess and we all have to pull together. If we go down, I can't even consider the situation.

"It'll be Armageddon if we go down. It'll be worse than what's gone on at Newcastle."

West Ham are actively looking to reduce the club's debts, with professional investors being approached for finance and the club have already had to make several people redundant.

"We had a player liaison officer who just drove a few of the players around and he was paid £50,000 a year," revealed Sullivan.

"We've had to make people redundant, we'll make other people redundant. There are people at the training ground who we don't even know what they do, there are so many people there. When we spend money we have to make it count."

But of more immediate concern, however, is getting vital league points with their next game - at home to Birmingham on Wednesday - given added significance because of Sullivan's and Gold's links with the two clubs.

The manner of Gold's departure from St Andrew's still causes angst, with the 73-year-old upset that he was not retained as chairman when Yeung took over.

"I was at Birmingham City for years but I really want to give them a good whacking," he said.

"I have great fondness for them, but it was sad the way it ended. They reneged on the decision to keep me on the board - that will always rankle.

"After 17 years at Birmingham, I think we know how to run a football club, I am certainly a lot wiser than when I first started.

"All I need now is for the team to start winning. Wednesday night will do for starters."

The past and present regimes at Birmingham have been involved in verbal spats over the past few months but Yeung's representative, Peter Pannu, said there will not be any bad blood on Wednesday.

"The other party have taken over at West Ham and we wish them well. In fact, I did congratulate them myself," Pannu told the Birmingham Mail.

"We are, after all, football people but work is work and we have to delineate on that very clearly.

"I will shake hands in the boardroom. I have no problem with that and I have had a chance to have a conference with David Sullivan and David Gold.

"We had a very candid chat. David Sullivan appears to be a very straightforward man. He speaks his mind - just like me.

"I think people must understand we are all professionals so we know how to differentiate between right and wrong, work and personal.

"I respect David Sullivan, he has got his stance, we have got ours and we agree to disagree."

from the beeb.

Has the fat man and his sidekick done a decent job since we've gone down?

I mean aside from not selling us, he must have been in his element. Slashing prices everywhere, kicking out playing and non playing staff, and signing in cheap replacements, or none at all in the case of non-playing staff.

Is this simply what any chairman would have done? Or would Freddy(for the sake of argument) had a one season push all-out to guarantee promotion?

No players were forced out(from what I can remember), anyone who wanted to leave was free to do so, and by all rights, we got decent money for Bassong, Martins and Duff.

Thoughts?

I think they did alright in January. Not sure they get much credit for putting a puppet like Hughton in place like. I think it's only if and when we go up that you'll discover if lessons have been learnt or if they just rode their luck in terms of letting things take their natural course in the summer / early season.

I think they did alright in January. Not sure they get much credit for putting a puppet like Hughton in place like. I think it's only if and when we go up that you'll discover if lessons have been learnt or if they just rode their luck in terms of letting things take their natural course in the summer / early season.

Exactly, if Ashley et al hadn't been such a bunch of lying, cheating, retarded cockends in most of what they've done in destroying this club, then this January would have went down with most fans as a decent effort. No sales of our best players and people brought in to pad out the squad for the promotion battle.

Sadly i think deep down we all believe that come next season we will be fucked over by ashley yet again and left to suffer at best a poor season in the prem and at worst relegation again.