The Michael Owen Appreciation Thread

trophyshy

Missed your response to my question about Beckham by the way....

Tbh totally forgot about that, meant to answer it.

I don't know how the feeling is about him in the UK. I feel - honestly - that he allowed the glory to get to his head far more than anyone else has and became less a player than some sort of public figure, with his ridiculous hairstylings, his mega-star girlfriend, etc. His ability was undeniable but he's getting on and has lost a lot of it.

Do I think it was right for him to be unceremoniously kicked out the squad following the World Cup? No. He carried a lot of responsibility for England getting as far as they did. Do I think it was right for him to be recalled fairly recently? No. I don't think he's the answer to England's problems - and even if he can patch them in the short term, there's a lot to be done in the long term. Of course Muppet McClaren can't really afford to think about the long term right now, but I think he was hounded into it by the media.

As for his LA Galaxy adventure, I think it's laughable. But the crowds he brings aren't laughable at all. So I really don't know what to make of that.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First example: There was a time when Arsenal wasn't the ridiculous assembly of foreign players that it is now. In fact, many Gunners from even the early 90s despair of the state of the squad. But most Arse fans accept the vast influx of foreign players to the point of exclusion of English players because they have won so much in recent years as a result.

Next example: Barcelona claims to be "mes que un club" and is known for favoring Catalan players over higher-caliber players of other origin. Case in point: Victor Valdes, surely one of the worse keepers in La Liga, retains his spot because he is Catalan, despite Barca easily being able to buy a world-class keeper. Few if any argue against this policy - because Barca obviously wins.

Last example: Atletico Bilbao of La Liga is an all-Basque club. They only sign professional players from the Basque Country in Spain. As of late, their fortunes have fallen, narrowly avoiding relegation in the last two seasons. But still nobody questions the "cantera" policy. In fact, 76% of Bilbao fans would rather be relegated (keep in mind that this club has never been relegated in its history) than give up the all-Basque policy.

I believe that the second example fits Newcastle best - a team which knows its roots and is true to them, nurturing young local players and others who are devoted to the club. And victory can be achieved that way. I don't think that the Bilbao way is how it should be done - certainly an "all-Geordie" team would be a disastrous joke. Sadly, however, I believe that many Newcastle fans as of late have allowed the trophy drought to overtake their good sense and their pride in the club. They're so desperate to win that they'll take any mercenary - and there have been so many - who might give us a shot at glory. Hence the Arse example.

That's not for me.

Here lad, fuck off will you? I've never heard such fucking drivel in my life. You prove every time you post that you haven't got the first clue what you're on about. I'm sick of hearing your misinformed cobblers about a game and a club that you know fuck all about.

First example: There was a time when Arsenal wasn't the ridiculous assembly of foreign players that it is now. In fact, many Gunners from even the early 90s despair of the state of the squad. But most Arse fans accept the vast influx of foreign players to the point of exclusion of English players because they have won so much in recent years as a result.

Next example: Barcelona claims to be "mes que un club" and is known for favoring Catalan players over higher-caliber players of other origin. Case in point: Victor Valdes, surely one of the worse keepers in La Liga, retains his spot because he is Catalan, despite Barca easily being able to buy a world-class keeper. Few if any argue against this policy - because Barca obviously wins.

Last example: Atletico Bilbao of La Liga is an all-Basque club. They only sign professional players from the Basque Country in Spain. As of late, their fortunes have fallen, narrowly avoiding relegation in the last two seasons. But still nobody questions the "cantera" policy. In fact, 76% of Bilbao fans would rather be relegated (keep in mind that this club has never been relegated in its history) than give up the all-Basque policy.

I believe that the second example fits Newcastle best - a team which knows its roots and is true to them, nurturing young local players and others who are devoted to the club. And victory can be achieved that way. I don't think that the Bilbao way is how it should be done - certainly an "all-Geordie" team would be a disastrous joke. Sadly, however, I believe that many Newcastle fans as of late have allowed the trophy drought to overtake their good sense and their pride in the club. They're so desperate to win that they'll take any mercenary - and there have been so many - who might give us a shot at glory. Hence the Arse example.

That's not for me.

Are you the result of that night in the Spanish Brothel when Dougie and Freddy had to share a whore?

That's not for me.

Here lad, fuck off will you? I've never heard such fucking drivel in my life. You prove every time you post that you haven't got the first clue what you're on about. I'm sick of hearing your misinformed cobblers about a game and a club that you know fuck all about.

Let me put on my Gemmill hat.

"TOUCHDOWN SON! Fuck me, if you aren't the fucking dumbest fuck I've ever heard to be sure. You're so dumb that I don't feel the need to refute you, because you're so fucking stupid. Meanwhile I never actually post anything intelligent of my own, because that's for other sad fuckers to do. No, I just criticise because I don't actually have anything relevant to say for meself except that Martins is a fucking worthless ape and anyone who says anything different knows fuck all. By the way, you know fuck all, don't have a clue, and know fuck all. Did I mention you know fuck all?"

Childish tbh. You can say it's drivel but you never say why. Sorry I make you sick - I know, other people's ideas can do that sometime when you're a closeted know-nowt who's got exactly one point of view.

his mega-star girlfriend,

Posh Spice is only a mega star in her own mind, I'm not even sure she'd really be called a star in her own right in the UK now (more Mrs Beckham).

Please don't tell me she is in the US. ;)

Posh Spice is only a mega star in her own mind, I'm not even sure she'd really be called a star in her own right in the UK now (more Mrs Beckham).

A-list tbh. They're big pals with Tom Cruise and his crackpot wife, Holmes I think she's called.

I think she's in California marra, sorry to break the news like. :icon_lol:

That's not for me.

"TOUCHDOWN SON! Fuck me, if you aren't the fucking dumbest fuck I've ever heard to be sure. You're so dumb that I don't feel the need to refute you, because you're so fucking stupid. Meanwhile I never actually post anything intelligent of my own, because that's for other sad fuckers to do. No, I just criticise because I don't actually have anything relevant to say for meself except that Martins is a fucking worthless ape and anyone who says anything different knows fuck all. By the way, you know fuck all, don't have a clue, and know fuck all. Did I mention you know fuck all?"

Childish tbh. You can say it's drivel but you never say why. Sorry I make you sick - I know, other people's ideas can do that sometime when you're a closeted know-nowt who's got exactly one point of view.

Racist

None of that post makes any sense

I'd comment on the other examples, but I feel I'm wasting my time on you already.

You prove every time you post that you haven't got the first clue what you're on about.

These are my general views about acrossthepond's posts too.

I never really cared if he was a dyed in the wool ex-pat Geordie or a well meaning yank soccer fan, the major point is he talks bollocks.

I have not read all the thread as I can't be arsed. All those who completely slag off Owen are mongs. However so are all of those who say he has done no wrong. He is an intelligent person and should know the feeling of Newcastle fans being upset after the accident he had in the world cup when he came back after breaking his metatarsel. He should have been treading on eggshells from then on regarding his talking to the press. I hope he thought he could do his taking on the pitch unfortunately you aren't allowed to do that in this day and age. So there that's me fence sitter.

That's not for me.

High five! To the side! Down low.....much too slow.

That's not for me.

High five! To the side! Down low.....much too slow.

;)

He's the best player in the squad, he's better than anyone we can feasibly get in to replace him, and he'll score shitloads of goals for us. That's all that matters.

Amen to that, brother.

As I said this morning, some of the simpletons chasing Owen away should be careful what they wish for. They'll maybe realise that as we're scrabbling around in the bottom six with a team of committed Ramages, Pattisons and Ameobis.

;)

To be fair, I think Shola is fairly committed. He gets labelled lazy because he isn't mobile and has a languid running style due to his build. His problem is he's a carthorse.

To be fair, I think Shola is fairly committed. He gets labelled lazy because he isn't mobile and has a languid running style due to his build. His problem is he's a carthorse.

So true. ;)

Ramage is committed too. We know, as well as he does, that he is very limited in ability, but I reckon he gives as good as he has can in every game he plays.

Ramage is committed too. We know, as well as he does, that he is very limited in ability, but I reckon he gives as good as he has can in every game he plays.

So did Stevie Caldwell but he is fucking shit too.

So did Stevie Caldwell but he is fucking shit too.

So you agree with me.

Guest stevieintoon
The last in-ger-land player before Owen to show the same level of commitment to Newcastle was Keiron Dyer.

Fuck 'em both.

Good points the Northumbrian.

That's not for me.

To be honest mate, I'd have 11 Al Quaida playing for the toon if we could win something. I've had an argument for years with a lot of people that of the last 25 years, the area 10 miles around Newcastle has produced five of the best seven English players, Robson, Gascoigne, Peter, Shearer and Waddle, but that level of local talent has completely dried up. I don't if it's because of culture changes or what. I'm only 29, and I had a ZX Spectrum, and a Commodore 16 when I was a kid, but they were so shite, I used to play football every waking hour of the day. Nowadays kids, have PS3's the internet fuckin you name it they have it, they don't go out and play as much as we did as kids 20 years ago, and that's partly why there's so many fat cunt kids. The point is the revolving conveyor belt of Tyneside talent has dried up, of those five I mentioned, I didn't even mention the likes of Steve Bruce, Terry Fenwick (cough splutter spit) etc... so fuck local talent, the only decent geordies noo are Carrick, Chopra and Taylor and none of them are near the level of the above, get 11 Al Quaida in to play for the toon, I wouldn't care if we won a trophy, I might even put a tea towel on me heed in honour. Ducks.

Edited by stevieintoon

I think she's in California marra, sorry to break the news like. :icon_lol:

No she was in Paris, "coincidentally" stepping out of the ritz when the Diana jury and 99% of the world press were there. :rolleyes:

To be honest mate, I'd have 11 Al Quaida playing for the toon if we could win something.

Al Qaeda fine, but NOT Owen.

Am I missing something here?

me too. i'm struggling to comprehend exactly what stevie's argument is. he admits we're a better team with owen and suggests that he wants him out because of his attitude off the pitch. but fuck me sideways....his attitude is must be worse than a potential suicide bomber???