The Michael Owen Appreciation Thread

trophyshy

First example: There was a time when Arsenal wasn't the ridiculous assembly of foreign players that it is now. In fact, many Gunners from even the early 90s despair of the state of the squad. But most Arse fans accept the vast influx of foreign players to the point of exclusion of English players because they have won so much in recent years as a result.

Next example: Barcelona claims to be "mes que un club" and is known for favoring Catalan players over higher-caliber players of other origin. Case in point: Victor Valdes, surely one of the worse keepers in La Liga, retains his spot because he is Catalan, despite Barca easily being able to buy a world-class keeper. Few if any argue against this policy - because Barca obviously wins.

Last example: Atletico Bilbao of La Liga is an all-Basque club. They only sign professional players from the Basque Country in Spain. As of late, their fortunes have fallen, narrowly avoiding relegation in the last two seasons. But still nobody questions the "cantera" policy. In fact, 76% of Bilbao fans would rather be relegated (keep in mind that this club has never been relegated in its history) than give up the all-Basque policy.

I believe that the second example fits Newcastle best - a team which knows its roots and is true to them, nurturing young local players and others who are devoted to the club. And victory can be achieved that way. I don't think that the Bilbao way is how it should be done - certainly an "all-Geordie" team would be a disastrous joke. Sadly, however, I believe that many Newcastle fans as of late have allowed the trophy drought to overtake their good sense and their pride in the club. They're so desperate to win that they'll take any mercenary - and there have been so many - who might give us a shot at glory. Hence the Arse example.

That's not for me.

any old school posters think of blaydon after reading this?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair when I've heard yous on about Blaydon he seems like a top bloke, with views not too dissimilar to my own.

That's actually quite like him.

Just imagine if we had this Michael Owen playing for us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_Us3S4ntUM

Still has everything except the pace, which I know important, but even without it he's world-class.

In all honesty he's not that much slower (Shearer lost a lot more pace relatively and directly over his career IMO), even when he was very young a lot of the goals he scored were not so much about pace to beat someone as great finishing and/or reading the game well enough to be in just the right place at the right time.

Shearer proved for a long time that if you have good positional sense and great finishing you can be a great striker even if basically you are immobile.

To be fair when I've heard yous on about Blaydon he seems like a top bloke, with views not too dissimilar to my own.

;)

Might even be the same person.

;)

nah, he's more similar to accrossthepond i reckon. that last post his was blaydon-esque to the last

:icon_lol:

nah, he's more similar to accrossthepond i reckon. that last post his was blaydon-esque to the last

Aye, well it was more of a reference to Blaydon's signing up with various accounts to back himself up in arguments than actually thinking they were the same bloke Dan ;)

Edited by alex

Just imagine if we had this Michael Owen playing for us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_Us3S4ntUM

Still has everything except the pace, which I know important, but even without it he's world-class.

But a massive part of Owen's game was how he could terrify defenders while running at them with his pace as well as getting in behind and knowing that defenders would get nowhere near him.

Guest stevieintoon

Aye, well it was more of a reference to Blaydon's signing up with various accounts to back himself up in arguments than actually thinking they were the same bloke Dan ;)

Who does that? The only other account I've got is "Barry Davies"

To be honest mate, I'd have 11 Al Quaida playing for the toon if we could win something.

Al Qaeda fine, but NOT Owen.

Am I missing something here?

You've got to be committed to the cause if you're a suicide bomber. None of this 'only wanting to blow yourself up when Allah has a special on vestal virgins'

To be honest mate, I'd have 11 Al Quaida playing for the toon if we could win something. I've had an argument for years with a lot of people that of the last 25 years, the area 10 miles around Newcastle has produced five of the best seven English players, Robson, Gascoigne, Peter, Shearer and Waddle, but that level of local talent has completely dried up. I don't if it's because of culture changes or what. I'm only 29, and I had a ZX Spectrum, and a Commodore 16 when I was a kid, but they were so shite, I used to play football every waking hour of the day. Nowadays kids, have PS3's the internet fuckin you name it they have it, they don't go out and play as much as we did as kids 20 years ago, and that's partly why there's so many fat cunt kids. The point is the revolving conveyor belt of Tyneside talent has dried up, of those five I mentioned, I didn't even mention the likes of Steve Bruce, Terry Fenwick (cough splutter spit) etc... so fuck local talent, the only decent geordies noo are Carrick, Chopra and Taylor and none of them are near the level of the above, get 11 Al Quaida in to play for the toon, I wouldn't care if we won a trophy, I might even put a tea towel on me heed in honour. Ducks.

Look...I don't even know what to say. This post is wrong on many levels. I think I may have met my match.

Blaydon did. He had conversations with himself under the names Blaydon, Tyne, Bennie and Adidas.

Though it has been questioned if you made that Rangers supporters post up on the Newcastle/Rangers game thread.

Barry? You're Barry? Noooooooooooooooooo?

You know I always though Barry was a bit of a cunt but now we know it's you ......

But a massive part of Owen's game was how he could terrify defenders while running at them with his pace as well as getting in behind and knowing that defenders would get nowhere near him.

I obviously agree, but as that's faded, it's become equally obvious that his movement and eye for goal still keep in that class for me.

He probably needs to keep injury free for the next 6 months to really prove it though.

I obviously agree, but as that's faded, it's become equally obvious that his movement and eye for goal still keep in that class for me.

He probably needs to keep injury free for the next 6 months to really prove it though.

I agree that it's still top drawer in those elements, however it doesn't help him when you look at the lack of creativity around him, imagine him in a side like Arsenal with their movement from every player and quick passing, he'd score a bucket load, of that I have no doubt.

I agree that it's still top drawer in those elements, however it doesn't help him when you look at the lack of creativity around him, imagine him in a side like Arsenal with their movement from every player and quick passing, he'd score a bucket load, of that I have no doubt.

Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I think that'll change come January. Don't want to take things too off topic, but I think Allardyce has come in, said "holy shite, what a fucking mess", and decided he could only sort a certain amount out in one window. Decided that defensive cohesiveness takes the longest to sort out, and will build on that in time.

As for Owen, I think the level of talent that he still has is very, very rare.

Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I think that'll change come January. Don't want to take things too off topic, but I think Allardyce has come in, said "holy shite, what a fucking mess", and decided he could only sort a certain amount out in one window. Decided that defensive cohesiveness takes the longest to sort out, and will build on that in time.

As for Owen, I think the level of talent that he still has is very, very rare.

Without a doubt. The "holy shit, what a fucking mess" also applies to Ashley and Mort.

Blaydon did. He had conversations with himself under the names Blaydon, Tyne, Bennie and Adidas.

Though it has been questioned if you made that Rangers supporters post up on the Newcastle/Rangers game thread.

Stevie just gets PMs from people that back him up in arguments. :unsure: