5/6/7/11 a side footy thread

smoggeordie

Nowt worse when you're playing 5-a-side and someone acts like it's the World Cup. Some kid was laying out tactical team talks and all sorts, telling us to pull wide so he could have space in the middle. Fuck off, man.

Have you been reading this thread :unsure:

5 and 7 a side are a lot to blame for the lack of decent talent coming through in this country imo. What happened to playing on a muddy, bouncy field on a sunday morning with a 60mph cross wind!

rubbish

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you would say that, what with you being so much better than anyone else who plays at the astro and all.

If what you say is true, how come your average Sunday League player in England has a shit first touch?

Guest Gordon McKeag
Well you would say that, what with you being so much better than anyone else who plays at the astro and all.

There's other good players. I'm not arrogant enough to think I'm the best player on here. I had trials as a kid but so did SLP, and apparently Mancmag's no mug. I have this impression of you on a football pitch though kicking a ball like a 6 year old does with their wrong foot, but with both feet.

According to who Alex? I've played 5,7 and 11 aside football since I was a kid and the best players I've come up against by far play 11 a side.

Ive met kids who look like Messi on the astro, zipping in and out of players and smashing shots in from 7 yards. The same kids on a field usually beat 2 men and get snapped by the 3rd cos they forgot to pass.

Edited by Kid Dynamite

If what you say is true, how come your average Sunday League player in England has a shit first touch?

Sorry btw, thought you were talking to Andrew.

There's other good players. I'm not arrogant enough to think I'm the best player on here. I had trials as a kid but so did SLP, and apparently Mancmag's no mug. I have this impression of you on a football pitch though kicking a ball like a 6 year old does with their wrong foot, but with both feet.

Im no superstar but 50 goals in 3 seasons says i'm far from shit as well

Sorry btw, thought you were talking to Andrew.

I was, I was quoting him from the previous page

According to who? I've played 5,7 and 11 aside football since I was a kid and the best players I've come up against by far play 11 a side.

Ive met kids who look like Messi on the astro, zipping in and out of players and smashing shots in from 7 yards. The same kids on a field usually beat 2 men and get snapped by the 3rd cos they forgot to pass.

11 a side is a harder game and you have to be more complete player to play it well. But purely playing 11 a-side doesn't produce technical players imo. It's probably detrimental to it at a young age. How many touches do you get in a match? Not many. Anyway, my point was that blaming 5/7-a-side for the lack of talent coming through is wrong. It's a dearth of coaching. Not that coaching kids to death is the be all and end all but it can't be a coincidence coutries like Spain have 10x more people with the Uefa pro licence even though it takes 3x as long to get it there (another problem here perhaps). It's a long-standing problem in our game imo. Countries like Germany and Holland have loads more coaches to. I firmly believe there's a lack of access to decent coaching here.

Edited by alex

Having the Uefa A license means fuck all though. Its taught by the FA who has a standard school of thought when it comes to how football should be played. Be big, be strong, smash it up to the front man and get him to hold it up. I did my level 2 and it was exactly the same.

Its pointless just teaching another 100,000 coaches if what you are teaching them is wrong in the first place.

Guest Gordon McKeag
Having the Uefa A license means fuck all though. Its taught by the FA who has a standard school of thought when it comes to how football should be played. Be big, be strong, smash it up to the front man and get him to hold it up. I did my level 2 and it was exactly the same.

Its pointless just teaching another 100,000 coaches if what you are teaching them is wrong in the first place.

Who says it's wrong though? We're 8th-12th best team in the world. Reflected by our population that's about our level. Germany, Russia, Italy, Brazil and France have bigger pools of players to choose from by a larger pop.

That sort of backs up my point tbh, since I mentioned it only takes a third of the time here to get it as it does in Spain. I.e. they have to do about 1000 hours instead of 300 and yet we've still only got 1,200 coaches to their 11,000 or so. I.e. a lack of access to quality coaching is the problem - even the pro badge in this country is a cop out compared to our rivals.

I think kids not playing so much may also be a factor but other comparable countries have the same problems there too.

Edited by alex

whats that got to do with anything?

Its pointless just teaching another 100,000 coaches if what you are teaching them is wrong in the first place..[/b]

good point tbf, but it again comes down to coaching just coaching the coaches rather than coaching the players, got to get it right from the most basic level and start it moving up the chain I've played 11 a side as a kid as well as 5/6/7 a side and its true what alex says, 11 a side as it is coached and played today in england is not going to produce players with skill or anything close unless the 2 big lads on the team (one at the back to lump it forward to the one at the front) happen to have the talent in there too the rest are making up the numbers, while playing 5/6/7 a side on smaller pitches means every player is in the game more and every player will defend and attack which will surely produce more capable players than 9 kids on each side watching the 4 biggest kids lump it around for an hour or so occasionally getting a touch in which they are expected to pass it too one of those big kids

That's sort of backs up my point tbh, since I mentioned it only takes a third of the time here to get it as it does in Spain. I.e. they have to do about 1000 hours instead of 300 and yet we've still only got 1,200 coaches to their 11,000 or so. I think kids not playing so much may also be a factor but other comparable countries have the same problems there too.

it would help if, when the kids who dont make it are cut loose they were encouraged by their clubs to stay on and take coaching courses, same for officials rather than the "youre not good enough now fuck off" attitude taken by clubs when they release their kids at 18 or whatever it is

That's sort of backs up my point tbh, since I mentioned it only takes a third of the time here to get it as it does in Spain. I.e. they have to do about 1000 hours instead of 300 and yet we've still only got 1,200 coaches to their 11,000 or so. I think kids not playing so much may also be a factor but other comparable countries have the same problems there too.

it would help if, when the kids who dont make it are cut loose they were encouraged by their clubs to stay on and take coaching courses, same for officials rather than the "youre not good enough now fuck off" attitude taken by clubs when they release their kids at 18 or whatever it is

Totally agree there like. They're the sort of people who should get into coaching. The clubs looking after number one is another problem though, isn't it?

Nowt worse when you're playing 5-a-side and someone acts like it's the World Cup. Some kid was laying out tactical team talks and all sorts, telling us to pull wide so he could have space in the middle. Fuck off, man.

Well I run my 5 a side team, and we're now the second best five a side team in the North East based on stuff like the above.

Fair enough but I'm talking kick abouts with your mates, not a competitive league.

Have you been reading this thread

No. Well, I stop in occasionally to read Stevie's excellent post match analyses but now that you've started blathering on, I'll probably stay well clear tbh.

Well I run my 5 a side team, and we're now the second best five a side team in the North East based on stuff like the above.

How the fuck do you know that :unsure: You played them all?

Guest Gordon McKeag

How the fuck do you know that :unsure: You played them all?

Well the night we play on is the top flight of what is widely acknowledged as the best neet at the whole centre, and we're second top, and could win this league tbh.

Hardly, just thinking of the ones ive played in

Chester-Le-Street

Washington

2 in Durham

2 in Sunderland

Darlington

North Shields

Gateshead

Newcastle

Not to mention the others in Newcastle, Middlesbrough, Boldon etc.

Guest Gordon McKeag
Hardly, just thinking of the ones ive played in

Chester-Le-Street

Washington

2 in Durham

2 in Sunderland

Darlington

North Shields

Gateshead

Newcastle

Not to mention the others in Newcastle, Middlesbrough, Boldon etc.

How many good footballers come from Durham and Sunderland not many. I play at North Shields, its known as the best one.