5/6/7/11 a side footy thread

smoggeordie

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indoor 5-a-side on Fridays and sometimes Sundays with mates. 7-a-side every other Saturday on astroturf with mates. Indoor 5-a-side in a league on Mondays!

Need some new astro turf shoes like, mine are fooked, got speed holes the lot. :jesuswept:

Edited by Besty

i'm still doing friendlies.

Despite being our sides best left back, I’m getting pretty tired of playing that position. The guy who now plays defensive midfield for us is proper mustard so I can really only play 1 position. Still I get to take all the corners (when I’m on the pitch). Scored direct from one last week against a team that finished just behind us in the league last year. Nice!bounced in off theback post.... !

Edited by canofbeans

Played 2 matches last night in the blackburn soccerdome

got beat 5-3 in the cup by this team 4 leagues above us, type who play there every night to practise (some folk take this stuff too seriously)

won 8-2 second game, pretty pleased since we only had 5 players, both the others were rolling subs, had 8 players

as an aside I've not known us play as well as we did in that second game last night, great stuff, worthy of being called ticcy taccy :jesuswept:

soccerdome pitches are shit though, they were great when it first started out but they've not been cared for at all, if 3g is the stuff that has all the little rubber bits in it then thats what we play on

got beat 5-3 in the cup by this team 4 leagues above us, type who play there every night to practise (some folk take this stuff too seriously)

won 8-2 second game, pretty pleased since we only had 5 players, both the others were rolling subs, had 8 players

as an aside I've not known us play as well as we did in that second game last night, great stuff, worthy of being called ticcy taccy :jesuswept:

soccerdome pitches are shit though, they were great when it first started out but they've not been cared for at all, if 3g is the stuff that has all the little rubber bits in it then thats what we play on

aye thats 3g

well its bloody 'orrible when it gets old

Fucked my foot on Monday in the league but the swelling had gone down by tonight, went to play again and it's just as bad as it was, playing tomorrow aswell! Will numbing cream work?

Fucked my foot on Monday in the league but the swelling had gone down by tonight, went to play again and it's just as bad as it was, playing tomorrow aswell! Will numbing cream work?

it'll numb you a bit but it wont do you any good

take the lesson of stephen carr man, rushing back does you no good at all

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. Played on the friday one day, foot got hammered, then I played on the sunday, then i played a match on the tuesday, followed by indoor on the wednesday. Foot was destroyed, took me about 3 weeks to be fully repaired :jesuswept: Don't make it worse, lay off it until it's completely better.

Might leave a bit earlier to get some in the morning before I play.

Just couldn't play tonight, still scored a couple like but couldn't move as quick when I was marking people and that.

as an aside I've not known us play as well as we did in that second game last night, great stuff, worthy of being called ticcy taccy :icon_lol:

phew, another fucking brilliant performance from me and my lot tonight, never known us playing this kind of football so well

playing top of the league, this lot have been dominating scored 50-odd and conceded 10 before tonight, won every game

we ended up drawing 6-6 but we shouldn't have, we dominated them conpletely, loads of the ball, great passing and 6 really good goals from us

then...last kick of the game, pot shot by them from the edge of their area, going wide, hits the board comes back hits our keeper on the back and goes in then final whistle

ref was pissing himself before telling us we were robbed and they also said to us we were ridiculously unlucky not to beat them but its a good sign for us for the rest of the games

We beat top of the league 5-4 on Monday, was 1-0 to us at one point and they equalised but the scorer injured himself and had to go off for ten minutes! They were unbeaten before that game I think! :icon_lol:

Also, I haven't stopped playing since I hurt my foot last Monday (been using deep freeze) but it seems to have healed! Playing tomorrow and Saturday and I'm tempted not to use it to see how I go.

Edited by Besty

I think its fitness with us more than anything, we dont play all year and then once everyones back in town we sign up to a league and start again

Same here really, before a couple of month ago I hadn't played competitively for a couple of year because the leisure centre had been getting done up! I'd just been having a kick about really. Seem to be improving now, play about 3 times a week.

Edited by Besty

Same here really, before a couple of month ago we hadn't played competitively for a couple of year because the leisure centre had been getting done up! We'd just been having a kick about really. Now we seem to be improving, play about 3 times a week.

aye we do too, we only have the one match a week but still all get together and play more locally once or twice a week too, this is gunna make me sound like such a nob but we are so much better than anyone else who comes down to the local astro regularly that we hardly play matches any more because it gets really boring so mostly we play cuppies in little 2 man teams or singles which is a wonder for fitness anyway since you have to run your nackers off

Playing tues,weds,fridays at lunch in work currently wouldn't mind getting a game outside of work, none of my mates are footballers unfortunately, only one of them even follows football.

@Fitness, it's always the killer there's times in our games where one side is unquestionably got the better players, but coming into the last 15mins certain people just don't have the legs for it and it goes the other way.

Bit of a run of form for me atm, hattrick last friday, and 4 on Wednesday including a couple of screamers

Played in an enclosed 3g 5aside pitch on wed, and tbh i wasn't fussed on it, like indoor but fucking way smaller, tiny imo, 29m's long and 19m's wide or something like that, much prefer a bigger pitch with set pieces etc, seems more like a proper game.

aye the smaller pitches really bug me, I think you get more proper football if there is more space, still pass around, can play above head height and have room to run on the ball properly

head height is the most irritating rule going in any football for me

Playing tues,weds,fridays at lunch in work currently wouldn't mind getting a game outside of work, none of my mates are footballers unfortunately, only one of them even follows football.

@Fitness, it's always the killer there's times in our games where one side is unquestionably got the better players, but coming into the last 15mins certain people just don't have the legs for it and it goes the other way.

Bit of a run of form for me atm, hattrick last friday, and 4 on Wednesday including a couple of screamers

Played in an enclosed 3g 5aside pitch on wed, and tbh i wasn't fussed on it, like indoor but fucking way smaller, tiny imo, 29m's long and 19m's wide or something like that, much prefer a bigger pitch with set pieces etc, seems more like a proper game.

aye the smaller pitches really bug me, I think you get more proper football if there is more space, still pass around, can play above head height and have room to run on the ball properly

head height is the most irritating rule going in any football for me

Played on the slightly larger version (about twice that) for 7aside the previous week, honestly the amount of people drop kicking it and straight into the roof netting was unreal, just one mong after the other.

Aye we dont bother with the head height rule since it's only a kick about, but it'd bug the shite out of me and all.

I'm reasonably quick so much prefer the room to run, makes up for me not being Pele :icon_lol:

6aside tomorrow on a half of a full pitch (should be 7 or 8 but lacking numbers with injuries and holiday dropouts), it'll be a test of fitness for most tomorrow i think!

well we dont bother playing just us but its a soccerdome rule

what does everyone class themselves as as a player? position and skills and stuff wise, Im shit at that for me, Im generally a defender but I get forward a lot, like playing CM too, im all over the shop :icon_lol:

Nowt worse when you're playing 5-a-side and someone acts like it's the World Cup. Some kid was laying out tactical team talks and all sorts, telling us to pull wide so he could have space in the middle. Fuck off, man.

I'm like that. :icon_lol:

Only play to win. :icon_lol:

Nowt worse when you're playing 5-a-side and someone acts like it's the World Cup. Some kid was laying out tactical team talks and all sorts, telling us to pull wide so he could have space in the middle. Fuck off, man.

Have you been reading this thread :unsure:

5 and 7 a side are a lot to blame for the lack of decent talent coming through in this country imo. What happened to playing on a muddy, bouncy field on a sunday morning with a 60mph cross wind!

Have you been reading this thread :unsure:

5 and 7 a side are a lot to blame for the lack of decent talent coming through in this country imo. What happened to playing on a muddy, bouncy field on a sunday morning with a 60mph cross wind!

Aye, that'll produce the technical players we're missing.

Guest Gordon McKeag

Well I run my 5 a side team, and we're now the second best five a side team in the North East based on stuff like the above.

Pretty much. Best way to learn how to control a ball.

Not really, as evidence by the lack of technical players we've produced since the 60s. If you're looking for something to blame look at the relative lack of coaches qualified to a high level, especially in junior football. Blokes playing 5-a-side isn't the problem.

Edited by alex