The Times: Allardyce faces the sack

Jimbo

We finished 11th in our first full season under Robson by the way.

Just to expand on that a bit...

Robson won 14 out of 32 games in his first season

Allardyce is currently sat on 5 out of 14

In his first 14 games Robson won 6

compared to 5 from Allardyce

So Sir Berb had a slightly better start, but not by any great margin. In his first 14 games Robson's team lost 4-1 to Coventry, 2-0 to Bradford and were held to a draw by Watford. Similarly bad results against poor opposition that we've had from Sam.

The fans obviously had more faith in Robson due to his vastly superior track record, but if he didn't have us beating Watford (who were relegated with an embarrasing 24 points that year) given his evident talent as a boss, is there any other reason people think Sam should go, given his comparable start in the job?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fans obviously had more faith in Robson due to his vastly superior track record, but if he didn't have us beating Watford (who were relegated with an embarrasing 24 points that year) given his evident talent as a boss, is there any other reason people think Sam should go, given his comparable start in the job?

I think Robson's initial run consisted more of performances like yesterdays - pissers - but you could see the players cared - I can't remember that many like the ones that have characterised this season like Reading, Pompey, SAFC and Liverpool - ones which looked "clueless" as has been said.

I also think that it would have been interesting to see what would have happened at the end of 99/00 if we hadn't had the cup run because people just "forgot" about the league.

I think Robson's initial run consisted more of performances like yesterdays - pissers - but you could see the players cared - I can't remember that many like the ones that have characterised this season like Reading, Pompey, SAFC and Liverpool - ones which looked "clueless" as has been said.

I also think that it would have been interesting to see what would have happened at the end of 99/00 if we hadn't had the cup run because people just "forgot" about the league.

I guess the players had faith that Robson wasn't a dead man walking back then. Whatever you say about Bolton under Allardyce, you couldn't say his players weren't commited.

I havent been a supporter of Big Sam over the last couple of games but I do think that binning him this early to replace him with an unproven "Geordie Saviour" would make us look like total tools.

Geordie Nation and all that jazz :birthday:

So Sir Berb had a slightly better start, but not by any great margin. In his first 14 games Robson's team lost 4-1 to Coventry, 2-0 to Bradford and were held to a draw by Watford. Similarly bad results against poor opposition that we've had from Sam.

I understand what you're saying, but one of Robson's first games (was it the very first?) was an 8-0 annihilation of Sheffield Wednesday. If the current team showed that kind of promise then people would be more patient.

I havent been a supporter of Big Sam over the last couple of games but I do think that binning him this early to replace him with an unproven "Geordie Saviour" would make us look like total tools.

Geordie Nation and all that jazz B)

Unless it worked :birthday:

I understand what you're saying, but one of Robson's first games (was it the very first?) was an 8-0 annihilation of Sheffield Wednesday. If the current team showed that kind of promise then people would be more patient.

First home game. First game was a 1-0 loss to Arsenal or Chelsea iirc.

Geordie Nation and all that jazz B)

Unless it worked :birthday:

Aye, whoever does it will however be a laughing stock in the football world before "possibly" becoming a hero.

What it is guaranteed to do is get SkySports camping outside SJP interviewing every mong in sight

:rolleyes::nufc:

Is Shearer daft enough to take over us? 1 bad season and hes sacked and his managerial reputation is in tatters.

As well as getting money for players I reckon he'll be getting well paid. If it's true like.

Edited by alex

First home game. First game was a 1-0 loss to Arsenal or Chelsea iirc.

That was the season before when he took over from Gullit. I think Happy Face and I are quoting from his first full season in charge.

Carrying on the theme, the two season prior to Robson we finished 13th under Dalglish (with a cup final) and 13th under Gullit (with another cup final non-performance). After Ruud was sacked Robson guided us to safety in 11th. The following first full season under Sir Bob we finished 11th again. That summer he bought Bellamy and Robert and we finished 4th, 3rd and 5th (I think) in the three following seasons.

So if it took Bobby virtually two full seasons to turn us around, why should a mere mortal be able to do it in a third of a season?

Edit: Also didn't we finish 13th last season, so the starting position is similar.

Edited by Dr Kenneth Noisewater

From my point of view, the league position at the moment isn't my main worry, I'd have predicted anywhere around the middle reaches of the league this season, my number one concern is the manner of which we are playing, the mood of the players, the poor tactics and subsitutions, they worry me far more than actual results at the moment.

From my point of view, the league position at the moment isn't my main worry, I'd have predicted anywhere around the middle reaches of the league this season, my number one concern is the manner of which we are playing, the mood of the players, the poor tactics and subsitutions, they worry me far more than actual results at the moment.

I Concur.

I Concur.

me too

From my point of view,.................................................................... the poor tactics and subsitutions, they worry me far more than actual results at the moment.

I must agree here, seems to me that with a bonafide left-back like Enrique whom Sam brought in to play there, is fit and on the bench, why does Sam keep putting Zoggy there, OUT of POSITION.

Seems to me that Souness & Roeder didn't use that tactic in the absense of a bonafide left-back(Babayaro) but resorted to the use of Huntington & Edgar even Carr.

What benefit does Sam see in playing Zoggy there rather than wide left where he has given his best performences.

And what benefit does Sam see in playing Milner OUT of POSITION on the left side? I don't see any.

It may seem like a broken record to keep on about playing people OUT of POSITION, but something is very wrong somewhere.

Guest Patrokles
From my point of view,.................................................................... the poor tactics and subsitutions, they worry me far more than actual results at the moment.

I must agree here, seems to me that with a bonafide left-back like Enrique whom Sam brought in to play there, is fit and on the bench, why does Sam keep putting Zoggy there, OUT of POSITION.

Seems to me that Souness & Roeder didn't use that tactic in the absense of a bonafide left-back(Babayaro) but resorted to the use of Huntington & Edgar even Carr.

What benefit does Sam see in playing Zoggy there rather than wide left where he has given his best performences.

And what benefit does Sam see in playing Milner OUT of POSITION on the left side? I don't see any.

It may seem like a broken record to keep on about playing people OUT of POSITION, but something is very wrong somewhere.

Maybe there are those who don't see N'Zogbia as a left-back and Milner on the left side of midfield as players being played out of position?

Maybe there are those who don't see N'Zogbia as a left-back and Milner on the left side of midfield as players being played out of position?

Samuel Allardyce for one. :birthday:

When we got Big Sam I thought he would be the answer to our defensive problems, make us hard to beat and instill a winning mentality. WRONG,WRONG,WRONG

OK so yesterday we looked more committed, SO WHAT. We lost to a poor performing Blackburn side and let in three goals, AGAIN

4-3-3 or 4-5-1 whatever you call it doesnt fucking work, neither does putting our most offensive midfielder at left back for fucks sake

Geremi/Butt/Barton in the middle..........SHITE

Whats he done to Rozenhal?

Viduka on the bench and Smith up front instead??

It`s time to say our goodbyes to the fat-man, admit defeat and move on.

Shearer would be a risk although was it coincidence when he was around with Roeder we went on an amazing run that got Roeder the job?

If Ashley is serious about this club then he needs to put his money where his mouth is, buy some quality players and get a manager that WILL deliver

Care to name names?

Van Gall, Hiddink or Capello would be nice (all proven winners) Obviously Mike/Mort would need to do a selling job on them. I though BS would have shown a lot more than he has in the way of tactics, motivation and team selections, he`s out of his depth,cant adapt and insists on playing hoof-ball. If people are happy with that it`s upto them but I for one am not

Guest Patrokles

:nufc: