Prison holds no fear for Barton

ewerk

Prison holds no fear for Barton

Newcastle's Joey Barton insists he does not fear going to prison if he is found guilty of assaulting former Manchester City team-mate Ousmane Dabo.

The 25-year-old has pleaded not guilty to a charge of actual bodily harm and now faces a trial, which is expected to start in June 2008.

"If you go to prison for defending yourself then, yes, I suppose I'll think about it," he told the BBC.

"But I don't care. It doesn't scare me at all. I've done nothing wrong."

The alleged assault took place at City's training ground on 1 May.

If found guilty, the England midfielder could face a sentence of up to five years in jail but he said: "I can go home and sleep at night and know I've done what I thought was right.

"I don't think I'm a bad person. If the incidents I've been involved in had been to anyone other than a Premier League footballer, I don't think they'd even be mentioned.

"It was something that I've seen five, six, seven times since I've been a professional footballer."

Barton says his reputation has left him short of support among fans.

"Nobody cares whether I'm innocent or guilty - nobody cares. I'm already guilty before I've been sat in front of a judge - that's the disappointing thing," he said.

"It's my reputation. It's my fault I've got that reputation, but you shouldn't be slaughtered for trying to make yourself a better person. One day I will get to speak about the full facts."

Barton was suspended by City and subsequently sold to Newcastle United in a £5.8m deal in June.

He returned to action for the Magpies in November following a metatarsal injury that had kept him out since the summer.

Listen to Five Live Sport tonight from 1900 GMT. See Barton on Inside Sport from 1120 GMT.

why do we always sign such complete arseholes. not only can they not play football but they're mostly obnoxious twats off the field too.

nobby was a rare exception to the rule....a likeable player.....and we sell him.

why do we always sign such complete arseholes. not only can they not play football but they're mostly obnoxious twats off the field too.

nobby was a rare exception to the rule....a likeable player.....and we sell him.

Joey Barton can't play football? Get a grip man. He's played 4 times for us after being injured pre-season.

Kept saying he had no self pity but then kept saying the papers blow up his midemeanours just because it's him. Sorry, but ANY footballer stubbing a tab out in someones face, biting someones face off or attacking a fellow player is going to get it written about.

I've got no problem with any of his realiations off the pitch though, as long as he settles and plays well for us.

Joey Barton can't play football? Get a grip man. He's played 4 times for us after being injured pre-season.

i was referring more the team's recent performances than barton individually. but on your point, barton hasn't looked the best so far. early days though i agree.

Kept saying he had no self pity but then kept saying the papers blow up his midemeanours just because it's him. Sorry, but ANY footballer stubbing a tab out in someones face, biting someones face off or attacking a fellow player is going to get it written about.

I've got no problem with any of his realiations off the pitch though, as long as he settles and plays well for us.

Not interested in his recent career tack as a part time Columbian hitman then HP?

i was referring more the team's recent performances than barton individually. but on your point, barton hasn't looked the best so far. early days though i agree.

You were clearly referring to Barton tbh.

Not interested in his recent career tack as a part time Columbian hitman then HP?

:D

if i was i would have said he and not they tbh.

Well, I liked him more before he did the interview. Came across as a bit of a whining tit, not denying any of the pretty awful things he's done but spinning it by saying the press only reported them because it's him. But hey, if he starts showing the form we know he can produce I don't really care.

I suppose the press pick on his brother too?

I felt for him with that. The incredulity he expressed at having his brothers shadow cast over him - despite having not spoken to him since he was 14 - is understandable.

Fred Wests brother doesn't get a load of shit from the papers.

I get the feeling that there could be another "I need to move for family reasons" transfer request in the offing after his disclosure about his nan having cancer.

To be brutal, if she's got cancer of the pancreas she'll probably no longer be with us by the summer.

if i was i would have said he and not they tbh.

Which players did it refer to then? I can understand why you're backtracking like :D

Edited by alex