Allardyce dismisses player revolt speculation

ohhh_yeah

Allardyce dismisses player revolt speculation

04/12/2007 - 07:14:32

Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce has told his players "I know best" as he continues to dampen speculation about unrest amongst the Magpies squad.

Allardyce has had to respond to reports that a delegation of three senior players sought a meeting with Allardyce to express their concerns following the 3-0 defeat to Liverpool.

But he insists there is nothing strained or out of the ordinary in his dealings with the side, who have endured a difficult season thus far with just 18 points from 14 outings.

He told the Daily Mail newspaper: "Players are not happy about a lot of the stuff I do, because they're players and I'm the manager. I'm the man who knows what's right for them and I know it more than they do.

"When you're having a bad time there are always elements trying to make a big deal of things. Today's politically correct society believes that's a disruption, but that's an everyday occurrence as a manager."

The former Bolton boss also hopes to be in the St James' Park hot seat for a long time and leave the club in a good position for his eventual successor.

He left Wanderers in the UEFA Cup last term and would like to build a similar legacy with Newcastle, who many believe could end up in the control of former captain Alan Shearer, who has also been tipped as an outsider for the England job.

Allardyce continued: "If Alan decides to take my job, I hope it will be when I have decided to leave because I've made the club successful.

"Then he will be taking over a club that I've improved significantly, like what happened with Sammy Lee and Bolton. If it's the other way, you have to live with it."

Quoted from IrelandOnline

Edited by ohhh_yeah

and this was the TOP STORY on sky

Big Sam staying positive

Allardyce not fearing the looming figure of Shearer

Last updated: 4th December 2007

Sam Allardyce is confident Newcastle United legend Alan Shearer is not being lined up to take his job.

Reports have claimed that, should The Magpies lose to Arsenal on Wednesday, Allardyce will be sacked and replaced by Shearer.

Newcastle have picked up just one point from the last 15 available, but Allardyce is refusing to panic about the situation.

And the ex-Bolton Wanderers boss is optimstic that he is not on the verge of being succeeded by the club's former captain.

"If Alan decides to take my job, I hope it'll be when I've decided to leave," Allardyce told reporters.

Burden

"That will mean I've made the club successful and he'll be taking over a club that I've improved significantly, like what happened with Sammy Lee and Bolton.

"If it's the other way then you have to live with it.

"I don't particularly see that as a burden because if you lose your job then somebody else is going to take it, whether it's Alan Shearer or whoever.

"I know Alan reasonably well and when that situation comes up he's always said that he's not ready.

"If that's the case, and somebody wants to employ him down the line after me or whatever, then that's life."

Allardyce also moved to quash any suggestions that he has a strained relationship with Newcastle owner Mike Ashley.

Bad time

He added: "I saw Mike Ashley after the game on Saturday, shook hands and had a good chat with him.

"I hope that shows the strength of the relationship we've got. There's no point beating about the bush, yes I'm under the cosh.

"Yes, I've got to get results at this club sooner rather than later and, yes, we're having a bad time in terms of results.

"But it can be turned around as quick as it's gone bad."

Quoted from SkySports

Allardyce hits out at Newcastle Players

The Independent

By his own admission, Sam Allardyce is "under the cosh" and last night the Newcastle manager publicly laid down the law amid the prospect of a dressing-room insurrection at St James' Park.

Ireland goalkeeper Shay Given is believed to have led a delegation who went to see Allardyce in the wake of the 3-0 defeat by Liverpool on Nov 24 to express concern at the club's direction. Tactics, personnel issues and the Christmas schedule were discussed in a full and frank exchange and Allardyce yesterday moved to reassert his authority.

Sam Allardyce hits out at Newcastle players

I know best: Sam Allardyce is defiant after frank talks

"Yeeha," said Allardyce when the issue of potential discord was raised in a press conference at the Darsley Park training ground ahead of tomorrow's visit of Arsenal.

"Players are not happy about a lot of the stuff I do because they're players and I'm the manager. I'm the man who knows what's right for them and I know it more than they do. That's why I sit in this chair. It's immaterial.

"When you're having a bad time there are always elements and factors trying to make a big deal of things. Today's politically correct society believes that that's a disruption, but that's an everyday occurrence as a manager.

"Somebody will have a problem with something or other, whether it's how you go about the week, wanting to play, off the field. There's always something a player doesn't like. Some of it sneaks into the papers.

advertisement

"Whoever did it might think it's making a point, but it will only make me more resilient and stronger. I just find it disappointing it ends up in the paper, but that's life."

The players are apparently unhappy at Allardyce's plans for the festive period but he is giving them short shrift.

"The whole scenario for me is that there's no point flying back here after Wigan [on Boxing Day] when we're playing Chelsea away [three days later]," Allardyce said. "That's the bottom line. It's not a training camp or anything else. It's just a plan we're putting forward. Once the players got hold of it and heard the whispers, it carried them on.

"There's going to be a huge demand on individuals over Christmas so we have to find time to allow players to recharge the batteries. Historically, I've done that and got a very good response.

"It relieves all the pressures, good and bad. Players wouldn't know what to eat or drink after games unless you told them. Once you tell them and persist, then all of a sudden they find out it's the right thing to do. People don't like it when they're taken out of their comfort zone, so you have to be persistent.

"At Bolton it was successful, like a trip to Dubai. When you start putting the right way forward, sometimes some of your players don't like it, but it's for the benefit of the team not for one or two individuals who don't like it."

Allardyce remains unfazed by suggestions Alan Shearer is being lined up as his successor. "I saw [club owner] Mike Ashley after the game on Saturday, shook hands and had a good chat with him," Allardyce said.

"I hope that shows the strength of the relationship we have but there's no point beating about the bush.

"Yes, I'm under the cosh and yes I've got to get results sooner rather than later and yes we're having a bad time in terms of results, but it can be turned around as quick as it's gone bad.

"If Alan decides to take my job, I hope it'll be when I've decided to leave because I've made the club successful and he'll be taking over a club that I've improved significantly, like what happened with Sammy Lee and Bolton, but if it's the other way then you have to live with it."

Toon stars in revolt

The Sun

By MARTIN BLACKBURN

SAM ALLARDYCE’S Newcastle future looks bleak after a sensational player revolt at St James’ Park.

SunSport can reveal three senior stars — believed to include Shay Given and Steve Harper — have confronted the under-siege Toon boss.

The tearaway trio told Big Sam they do not like his tactics, his team selection or even his choice of former Chelsea star Geremi as captain.

Allardyce, preparing for tomorrow’s clash with Arsenal, refused to deny last week’s meeting had taken place.

He insisted: “That is private and confidential. Players are not happy about a lot of the stuff that I do, because they’re players and I’m the manager.

“I’m the man who knows what’s right for them and I know it more than they do. That’s why I sit in this chair.

“You don’t know who came to see me. My private discussions with the players and staff are exactly that.

Big deal

“Whether they like it or not, I don’t publicise what’s good, bad or indifferent about them.

“When you’re having a bad time there are always elements and factors trying to make a big deal of things.

“Somebody will have a problem with something or other, whether it’s how you go about the week, wanting to play, or an off-the-field matter.

“There’s always something a player doesn’t like. Some of it sneaks in the papers.

Geremi

CAP'N CALAMITY ... Geremi

is not a popular choice

“Whoever did it might think it’s making a point, but it will only make me more resilient and stronger.

“I just find it disappointing it ends up in the paper — but that’s life today.”

The mood at St James’ Park has not been helped by a controversial decision by the manager to take the players away from their homes between Christmas and New Year — if he is still in a job.

Following the Boxing Day clash at Wigan, the Toon squad will head down to London to prepare for their match at Chelsea on December 29.

Allardyce added: “Describe it however you want, but it ain’t a training camp. The whole scenario for me is that there’s no point flying back here after Wigan when we’re playing Chelsea away.

“That’s the thinking behind it, the bottom line. It’s not a training camp or anything else — but it hasn’t been decided by me yet one way or another.”

Newcastle’s slump down to the bottom half of the table has seen them take just one point from their last five matches.

And it is unlikely to get any better with tomorrow’s visit of in-form Premier League leaders Arsenal.

Tbh things are really looking quite bleak at the moment. These sort of things are completely the opposite of what I expected from us with Allardyce here.

It's looking more and more like he is dead in the water at the moment especially after we lose to Arsenal tomorrow.

Exactly the sort of attitude that makes me think that the man is a prick, I'm not saying that the players should be telling him what to do but their input and preferences should be taken into consideration. If he keeps up this level of arrogance I can't see him lasting till Christmas, recent performances (barring Blackburn) show a team who aren't motivated and they won't be motivated by a manager they dislike.

How much of this though, is the papers stirring up a story. Yes i am not happy with the situation at the moment, but getting shut of BS is probably the worst thing we can do at the moment. I mean if we were prepared to give Souness and Roeder best parts of a season to gel, surely BS should have the same. If he gets the bullet we will become a total laughing stock. It will then confirm why we are such an unattractive proposition to managers.

How much of this though, is the papers stirring up a story.

Tbh I don't think the story is as much about the players seeking a meeting but the worrying issue is the fact that Sam has pretty much told them to fuck off and do as they're told.

If we can see he's constantly playing players out of position, imagine how the players themselves must feel about it?

First team choice seems to be favourites first, then alphabetical order. Obviously it's going to effect team morale.

Edited by sammynb

How much of this though, is the papers stirring up a story.

Tbh I don't think the story is as much about the players seeking a meeting but the worrying issue is the fact that Sam has pretty much told them to fuck off and do as they're told.

Seems to work for Ferguson....

...although he is rather more successful :D

Seems the players are being wrapped in cotton wool again by many!

Maybe all that crap thats went on in the past has not been down to the likes of Bellamy,Dyer or Bowyer etc but the supposed quiet ones in the dressing room, like Harper and Given who spit their dummy out to each other about how things should be going?then it sends bad vibes through the rest of them,i don't like Allardyce and never wanted the bloke,but he's a fucking manager ffs and should not be putting up with these players who think they own the place because of the time they've been here.

It's more than likely the players who have been here before Allardyce's signings who can't get to grips with his thinking.

I'm not convinced he's quite 'on the brink' like. More like the newspapers would love it if he was. I see Birmingham as being more important in deciding his fate the Arsenal game.

Maybe all that crap thats went on in the past has not been down to the likes of Bellamy,Dyer or Bowyer etc but the supposed quiet ones in the dressing room, like Harper and Given who spit their dummy out to each other about how things should be going?then it sends bad vibes through the rest of them,i don't like Allardyce and never wanted the bloke,but he's a fucking manager ffs and should not be putting up with these players who think they own the place because of the time they've been here.

It's more than likely the players who have been here before Allardyce's signings who can't get to grips with his thinking.

You reckon the players should be happy with the shite tactics that Allardyce has them using? They're more than entitled to their say imo, especially when it's clear to all that the tactics and the system aren't working, if the manager can't see it then someone has to tell him and it's best coming from those who are actually employed in the system.

You reckon the players should be happy with the shite tactics that Allardyce has them using? They're more than entitled to their say imo, especially when it's clear to all that the tactics and the system aren't working, if the manager can't see it then someone has to tell him and it's best coming from those who are actually employed in the system.

Actually, if they 'had their say' rather than just spitting the dummy out I see it as being quite a positive thing as opposed to the attitude under previous managers when things were going wrong which seemed to be 'Give him enough rope...'

Without really knowing what went on I'd say it was more than likely a discussion rather than anyone spitting their dummy out, however the reaction from Allardyce is unlikely to placate any concerns they had.

And more importantly why the fuck is that fat cunt once again in the papers talking about this? It was a private meeting so why can't he just say that rather than having to act the big man telling all who'll listen about how he knows best. Belt up Sam.

Without really knowing what went on I'd say it was more than likely a discussion rather than anyone spitting their dummy out, however the reaction from Allardyce is unlikely to placate any concerns they had.

And more importantly why the fuck is that fat cunt once again in the papers talking about this? It was a private meeting so why can't he just say that rather than having to act the big man telling all who'll listen about how he knows best. Belt up Sam.

Because the 'private meeting' had been leaked to the papers and he was asked about it? He could have said "no comment" but he'd have gotten slated even more.

All he had to say was that it was a private meeting where he and the players discussed the recent poor run of form, no need to act the Billy Big Bollocks.

No. What he's doing is showing the players up for what they are and also showing them that he's ready to take them on in the media if that is their chosen weapon.