January Signings

JawD

“He and I are making plans about what’s happening next summer in terms of signings and the like.

“We’ve talked about how we’re planning to build this club up over a long period of time, and those are still our topics of conversation.

“He (Ashley) has taken them (commercial acquisitions) under his wing and developed them over a period of years. That’s what we talk about doing with Newcastle.”

“We had nine new signings in the summer . . . I think part of the difficulty we’ve had – particularly in defence – is getting those guys working together.

“I’m not convinced adding another two names in defence is necessarily going to be the solution this season.

“If I made any signings in January, they’d be young guys who I could see staying for a very long time, not immediate first-team regulars.

“Sam’s not pitched to me that we need to sign players because of that tournament.

“If I was going to sign anyone it would be with a much longer-term view than January and February.

“We’re looking to build a first- team squad capable of competing at the top level, but we are also looking to improve at youth level and make signings there.

“That’s an area which Newcastle United, historically, hasn’t worried too much about. But Arsenal are the classic club to look at and see the value of making very smart young signings and developing players.”

Personally, I think we need a decent midfielder to sit alongside Butt. Would never happen though with Barton/Emre being here. Maybe Im being too harsh on Barton and he needs time to get fit. I also think the RM needs sorting but I also think we already have the players to do that with Duff coming back and Milner.

I think we are crying out for a creative midfielder at least, reading that except makes me feel like they are not backing their manager.

None of our CM's are good enough. Butt, Emre and Barton miss too many components to their games. Less said about Geremee the better. Although Barton will develop into a good player for us. But he isn't the one to carry or pin the midfield.

Edited by Parky

It will be funny for a couple of games this season if our midfield 3 is Smith, Butt, Barton.....

Could honestly not think of 3 players i'd like to avoid more in a battle if I was the opposition. 3 dirty bastards

Savage in for Butt?

Duff---------Butt---------Zoggy-----------Milner would be my first choice when all fit.

Emre hasnt done much

Geremi has done less

Barton needs to show a big improvement

Smith is better up front

I reckon Zoggy could be the answer in a creative role if we dont sign anyone for that position, Give him a chance I say

I think we are crying out for a creative midfielder at least.

Agreed.

I like Butt in the holding role and I think someone like the russian guy, Arshavin, as a playmaker alongside him would take us up a notch. The ability to play a defence-splitting ball is conspicuous by its absence at the moment.

We're in desperate need of some pace, on the counter we're shocking, but obviously pace that actually knows what it's doing.

Especially on the right for me. Often acres of space there while Milner uses the left wing well.

For me:

From the left - Zog -- Butt -- ???? -- Milner with subs Duff & Emre

I think we should be looking to do better than both Milner and N'Zogbia, Milner's lack of pace will always hold him back and I can't remember the last time Zoggy had a really good game on the left wing, he's looked better attacking from deep when playing left back but when he's started on the wing this season and last he's been ineffective.

I don't think Butt offers enough to be a regular in a 4-4-2 unless it's against the top teams in the division, his ball retention is poor and his passing is average, we don't really need an out and out holding man for the majority of games in that formation.

I think Allardyce will move to a 4-3-3 formation like he had at Bolton when he gets the chance to bring more players in, hopefully he'll get a someone like Crouch to play up top, a Diouf type link up man down the left and a ball playing holding man who's decent in the air, someone similar in style to Gilberto maybe?

Butt needs to improve his passing quickly if he's to continue being one of the two CM.

The amount of ball he is giving away and inevitable fouls because he's trying to correct his mistake, is half the problem with our defence.

I thought butt was canny on saturday

Who's butt? SMO's?

Butt's has been outstanding this season in everything but his 5 to 10 passing just over the halfway, which unfortunately is when we're going forward.

It reminds me of Speed's last season with us and the fact his short passes never seemed to make the intended recipient.

And possibly I'm being hard on Butt and he's suffering what Speed did, players not moving making it difficult to thread balls through to his team mates.

Butt......

Guest Patrokles

When Milner came, I was underwhelmed to the extreme with his time here pre-Villa. Since then, he's been one of our better players in my opinion, and when you consider that he's only 21, I find it hard to believe that some people write him off just because he doesn't have blistering pace (he's not slow, though). The fact is, he beats his man often enough to make up for that, and all the needs polish is his delivery, which he has plenty of time to work on.

Sam silences stopper speak:

Defender denials x 3

Sam Allardyce has confirmed that there's no immediate prospect of a trio of linked defenders moving to SJP, namely Edmilson (Barcelona), Brede Hangeland (FC Copenhagen) and Dorin Golan (Steau Bucharest).

"I'm afraid Edmilson is now not an option for us in January. He has not played at all this season and it would be too much of a risk to bring him here next month, but I'll certainly be interested in going for him in the summer.

"From what I can gather, Claudio Cacapa and Edmilson are big mates and would like to play together in the same side again.

“Hangeland is not now on our radar and, while I had a look at Golan in the summer, he's not for us."