losing your accent

Dr Gloom

i've been living in london for almost 10 years now. before that i was in sheffield for 3 years, so i've lived away from newcastle for almost half my life.

i never had the broadest accent in the world but it's definitely faded over the years. i'm proud of my roots and never hide the fact that i'm from the north east but the way i speak seems to change depending on who i'm with and how much i've had to drink. i still sound northern but my old school accent only really comes out more when i've had a few, much to the amusement of my colleagues at work who only ever hear my posh work voice.

the thing is that it isn't a conscious thing. i just find my accent changes depending on which group of mates i'm with. and i can't win of course - i get constant grief off my mates from back home for sounding like a southerner and the shite ripped out of me by london mates for sounding like a geordie.

is your accent something to be proud of? do you ever find yourself talking differently in different social situations?

I'm in the same boat. I think you gradually just cut out slang words and start pronouncing better. No one would understand me otherwise. Some people still cant mind. ;)

spot on. my experiences at University made it important for me slow down and stop the slang to get understood.

problem now that Ive been in Swansea over 13 years is that in Newcastle people think I'm Welsh whilst here Im still known as Geordie Steve

not a huge problem mind, think i'll survive

I'm in the same boat. I think you gradually just cut out slang words and start pronouncing better. No one would understand me otherwise. Some people still cant mind. ;)

spot on. my experiences at University made it important for me slow down and stop the slang to get understood.

problem now that Ive been in Swansea over 13 years is that in Newcastle people think I'm Welsh whilst here Im still known as Geordie Steve

Geordie Boyo.

Geordie Boyo.

yeah i had that quite a lot when i first moved down! (sorry if you thought you were the first to think of it!)

I always get it back when i come home.

TBH though i loathe the Yorkshire accent so i daren't pick too much of it up.

I cant wait to finish uni to get back to normal ;)

Geordie Boyo.

yeah i had that quite a lot when i first moved down! (sorry if you thought you were the first to think of it!)

Devastated :yes

You've only been away one term man :yes

Geordie Boyo.

Think it was more a reference to the poster of the same name, who paradoxically is not remotely Welsh.

Geordie Boyo.

Think it was more a reference to the poster of the same name, who paradoxically is not remotely Welsh.

Billy-Lee isn't Welsh?

Geordie Boyo.

Billy-Lee isn't Welsh?

Are you taking the piss now? I seriously havent got a clue today. He's not Welsh is he...I mean I know he's from the Toon but I'm pretty sure he doesn't claim Welsh 'heritage'

Geordie Boyo.

Billy-Lee isn't Welsh?

Are you taking the piss now?

Yes.

I don't think it matters whether you keep it or lose it so long as neither are deliberate, if you know what I mean.

Yeah I agree. I think regional accents are something to be proud of. I'm certainly proud of mine.

I think it's wrong to deliberately get rid of your accent, but some people's accent changes simply because they've moved away, and that can't be helped, its just something that happens.

It's just a question of adapting the way you speak according to the situation.

Thats Brock man.

Im about to finish :rolleyes:

Thats Brock man.

Im about to finish :rolleyes:

So it is. He's lost his Geordie accent already apparently.

11 years away means I've toned down slightly - when I speak to mates or go back up north I just find that injecting more swearing (especially the c word) kickstarts me back to how I was.

In general I admire people who keep it eg Lawrie MacMenemy rather than people who semi-deliberately lose it eg Waddler.

Been away for 18 years, really only tone down my accent when talkng to locals. My boss is a Geordie as well and when we go out on the lash no bugger has a clue what we're on about and the more that goes down your neck the worse it gets wth the most commonly used phrase "aa waad".

I reckon it all depends on how strong it was in the first place, and the company you keep while you're away.

There's nowt to be ashamed of if you do lose it though. I know people who've moved to various parts of the UK and the rest of the world, some sound like different people, some sound exactly the same, some a mixture of both. All still just as proud of thier roots.

I reckon aswell, if any of them moved back here, within a year they'd be starting to change back.