Big Sam unsure on captain

bawan

Sam Allardyce has yet to decide who to make Newcastle captain when Geremi leaves for the African Cup of Nations.

Allardyce gave Geremi the armband following his summer move from Chelsea but the Cameroon international could be missing for more than a month early in the New Year.

The Magpies manager now has to look for a temporary replacement but he admits it will not be easy to choose.

He said: "I have had a lot of difficult decisions to make since I came to St James' Park, but I have to say deciding on just who was going to be my captain was probably one of the most difficult - and now I will have to decide again.

"Obviously we are losing Geremi at the turn of the year and I will give a lot of thought as to who will replace him as captain of Newcastle United."

Shay Given and Michael Owen have done the job in the past but Allardyce may also consider the likes of Nicky Butt, Alan Smith, Steven Taylor and Joey Barton.

Sam Allardyce has yet to decide who to make Newcastle captain when Geremi leaves for the African Cup of Nations.

The Magpies manager now has to look for a temporary replacement but he admits it will not be easy to choose.

"I have had a lot of difficult decisions to make since I came to St James' Park, but I have to say deciding on just who was going to be my captain was probably one of the most difficult - and now I will have to decide again.

This does not speak highly of Allardyce's management skills. Surely from his initial decision-making of choosing a team captain he must have had a No.2 choice in mind. Surely he would have a Plan B & Plan C on his agenda when he knows full well that injuries occur and players leave for various reasons.

Has the role of 'vice-captain' been made redundant nowadays?

Guest Patrokles

"I have had a lot of difficult decisions to make since I came to St James' Park, but I have to say deciding on just who was going to be my captain was probably one of the most difficult - and now I will have to decide again.

This does not speak highly of Allardyce's management skills. Surely from his initial decision-making of choosing a team captain he must have had a No.2 choice in mind. Surely he would have a Plan B & Plan C on his agenda when he knows full well that injuries occur and players leave for various reasons.

More players arrived since Geremi, tbf. In addition, he came in to the job this summer without having a chance to get to know the squad. So, really, your point isn't valid.

It's not even that important man. It's a nothing story. Sam might even be using this to see if the likes of Barton can up their game because I reckon whoever takes it over will probably keep it if they do well even after Geremi returns.

I;d like to see if Barton improves what has been a properly average start to his toon career. Not smith please, no captain should have a fucking peroxide streak on his head.

Agree however that it means fuck all except for perhaps inspiring the one with the armband on...

Centre-halves make the best captains followed by midfield generals imo.

Seen as though a different central defensive partnership plays almost every week and we've not got what you'd call a leader of men in the middle of the park, its a tricky one. I don't like keepers or strikers as skippers, they should be concentrating solely on their own job.

The fact that nobody seems to be suitable as captain might help explain why we have had so many lack lustre displays this season. We are missing leaders on the pitch. Ive always thought the captains role was pretty much honorary, and doesnt really affect how a player peforms, but our lack of candidates highlights a real weakness in the team.

If Barton had been here longer, regained last years form, stayed out of trouble and out of prison (and lost the scouse accent he) I think he has the potential to be captain, but he had been here longer and regained last years form he would be performing the role captain or not.

Meh, just give it to Owen so we can hate him even more when he leaves.

More players arrived since Geremi, tbf. In addition, he came in to the job this summer without having a chance to get to know the squad. So, really, your point isn't valid.

I think my point has more validity than yours Mr. Patrokles, when you are in the process of deciding who should be the team captain it's quite obvious you know the number of players from whom you have to choose, and in deliberating over it you obviously consider the attributes of every player and what they have to offer the position.

If you have already gone through this selection process once why should it pose such a difficult problem to make a second choice?

How many players arrived since Geremi? they are the only ones he would have to sort as he's done the rest already.

I think he will give it to Owen if he`s fit, wouldnt be my choice tho`. I would go for Cacapa although his English might be an issue but you cant question his experience. Smith for his passion would be my second choice, Barton wouldnt get a sniff for me, he needs to concentrate on improving his game.

Guest Patrokles

I think my point has more validity than yours Mr. Patrokles, when you are in the process of deciding who should be the team captain it's quite obvious you know the number of players from whom you have to choose, and in deliberating over it you obviously consider the attributes of every player and what they have to offer the position.

If you have already gone through this selection process once why should it pose such a difficult problem to make a second choice?

How many players arrived since Geremi? they are the only ones he would have to sort as he's done the rest already.

You ignored the rest of my post, tbh, which was written in anticipation of a point like that. You're talking nonsense again.

You ignored the rest of my post, tbh, which was written in anticipation of a point like that. You're talking nonsense again.

No no no Mr. Pratokles, I didn't ignore the rest of your post, I merely addressed what I thought was pertinent to Sam's difficulty in decision making. And after spending many, many years in a position where man-management and decision making was critical I hardly think I'm talking nonsense again. If Sam had already gone through the motions of selecting a team captain with say 75% of the players on hand, the addition of a few more players should not make it a difficult decision to choose another.

No no no Mr. Pratokles, I didn't ignore the rest of your post, I merely addressed what I thought was pertinent to Sam's difficulty in decision making. And after spending many, many years in a position where man-management and decision making was critical I hardly think I'm talking nonsense again. If Sam had already gone through the motions of selecting a team captain with say 75% of the players on hand, the addition of a few more players should not make it a difficult decision to choose another.

I think he has all ready chosen his captain but perhaps not told the squad yet, and by doing so I think players like Barton and Smith will try and play that extra bit harder from now and January.