If Shearer becomes manager

Ketsbaia

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure how much of that success was down to Tommy Craig rather than Shearer, impossible to tell in my view, as for Verry Terribles, ouch ! Yes I can see the logic in having a more experienced man in there with him, but Terribles ??

Shearer might go on to be a great manager, but I'm not sure I want to take that risk.

What risk? Another year of drivel? We arent guaranteed success even if we bring in Mourinho imo.

I'm gonna sit on the fence, because I've no reason to do anything else.

I don't know, it seems he [shearer] was inspirational in assisting Roeder, but like Roeder himself, it didn't last.

He would need a coach who knows the game ie step forward Terry Venables, the man who Shearer has said, like many others who played for Venables, they rate and respect him more than almost anybody.

Aside of this, which is only speculation anyway, I'll be very sad if we go through all this circus of changing manager again, but I would support it if Allardyce doesn't get his act together quickly and admit to himself what he is doing wrong and/or make the step up to a bigger club with bigger expectations which I thought that he would be big enough to make.

Good post Leazes.

I wouldn't be totally against it, but I just think its too soon for him to come back.

personally I don't want newcastle to be the first club he manages, he is obviously inexperienced and wouldn't know how to handle the pressure from the fans. He is a local and national hero so if things started going wrong he might turn into a villain.

One thing that Shearer will have is the inside knowledge of what the fans expect.

KK, SBR had that also and they didnt do too bad did they? GR being the exception.

GR knew the city just as much as Keegan did

personally I don't want newcastle to be the first club he manages, he is obviously inexperienced and wouldn't know how to handle the pressure from the fans. He is a local and national hero so if things started going wrong he might turn into a villain.

He should be but you'd be surprised at how many fans of other teams hate him.

To be honest, I think he'd make a good manager, but not here first of all =/

I'd like to think he would have picked up something useful from the likes of Sir Bobby, Venables, Hoddle, Keegan, heck even Dalglish, and learn how not to do things from Souness.

I reckon he'd be a Mark Hughes type and get a couple of useful wingers performing week in week out to a big man or two in the box with a steely grit about the core of the side.....

Edited by bassplayerjj

I have a feeling it would work.

It might or it might not, is that a risk we can afford to take right now ?

Any new manager has to deal with the unique and frenzied atmosphere of the city as well as understanding the expectations. Shearer at least will have that experience. He'd also be able to command respect of the players. I think he's a pretty smart guy too, I can't see him making too many basic tactical mistakes, but I also don't believe he'd try and over complicate things.

Lastly until he's given a go, any manager will be living in his shadow the moment results go pear shape.

thats pretty much what I think

I also think if he is going to be a good manager anwhere it is here. Poving himself at Wrexham or wherever is a laughable idea.

I think we need to give at a go and see what happens

:lol:

no evidence what-so-ever that he can do the jb and people want him in already.

take your black and white glasses off for a day or so and see how ridiculous you sound.

He would inject passion and instill his will to win on some of the slackers. BFSA has been proven tacticaly inept and doesnt seem able to work with quality players, he wants cloggers and battlers. That kind of football doesnt suit our players and he cant adapt

So either he gets rid of most of the team and replaces them with "his" kind of players or he gets the chop and AL is given a crack. I honestly think he would do a good job with the right team around him

BS may as well be Souness or Roeder as we have not made a single step forward since Bobby left. FACT

One thing's for sure, if Big Al is going to be one of those one-hit-wonder managers who use all their resources up at their first club they manage then I'd hope it would be with us - I'd feel even more gutted if he went elsewhere, was a success then came to us but couldn't cut it.

To be honest I really think pretty much most half decent managers could do a job at a club with the money and resources we have IF they stuck to the basics, played players in position and played standard tactics, I'd love it to be Shearer though.

I would be happy because the spectre would be over, whatever his performance, and if he was crap then perhaps we could move on to looking for a realistic manager, although how bad would he have to be to get sacked? Would we have to go down? Would Mort want to be the man who shot Bambi?

He is never going to be allowed to ply his trade at a lower club, no coach would relish having him as a coach here, and him coming here to his first managerial job after 5 years in tv is never going to work either, because all you get in the meantime is chants of shearer shearer in the crowd at whoever is current manager. So the sooner the better, for sceptics and optimists combined.

take your black and white glasses off for a day or so and see how ridiculous you sound.

I agree; but the fact people think he'd do okay says a lot about the way we are playing. I can see Rico's point as well.

He would inject passion and instill his will to win on some of the slackers.

Will he? He couldn't manage that as captain of the club playing under Souness, who he supposedly liked and rated.

Thats my fear too, although NONE of us know what he was like in the dressing room. Shearer always struck me as a shite captain in terms of rousing the players on the pitch.

Just a thought, and it's really just that, but how about Ferguson as manager? Not Sir Alex, but his son who's currently doing well in charge of Peterborough. How interesting would that be to see father against son in the Prem? Now, obviously managing a 2nd division team isn't going to be up there with a premiership team but I wonder if he'd be able to manage it. He's pulled Peterborough up from very little and seems quite adept at sticking to the main basics of the game. If we're toying with the idea of an unproven in Shearer could we consider Ferguson Jnr? *Tin hat on*

Just a thought, and it's really just that, but how about Ferguson as manager? Not Sir Alex, but his son who's currently doing well in charge of Peterborough. How interesting would that be to see father against son in the Prem? Now, obviously managing a 2nd division team isn't going to be up there with a premiership team but I wonder if he'd be able to manage it. He's pulled Peterborough up from very little and seems quite adept at sticking to the main basics of the game. If we're toying with the idea of an unproven in Shearer could we consider Ferguson Jnr? *Tin hat on*

I'm worried most of the positive motions for shearer come from some sort of idea that he is proven/qualified, through some wierd geordie birthright crap, or the fact he was a great player. I know he's done his badges an all that, but plenty sure thought they were worth shite in managers gone by.

Rather see John Collins if that was the way we were gonna go.

Like you're an expert....

FFS. We've had loads of this-is-our-man-OH-NO-he-is-a-shit manager . Just look at XXL Sam.

Was there any evidence our best manager over the last 30+ years didn't have ANY managerial experience ??

:huh:

Edited by Holden McGroin

Like you're an expert....

FFS. We've had loads of this-is-our-man-OH-NO-he-is-a-shit manager . Just look at XXL Sam.

Was there any evidence our best manager over the last 30+ years didn't have ANY managerial experience ??

:huh:

Robson had plenty of evidence to back up his credentials

never, ever claimed to be an expert, just less knee-jerk prone than a lot of people is all

this used to be the way of doing things ie finding managers from the low leagues.

It's changed now, but there is no reason why it couldn't succeed. A good manager is a good manager, wherever he is, and identifying him from a lower league is no different to identifying foreigners in a foreign league.

You don't need to look further than the likes of us, Man City, Spurs, and a few others to realise what a lottery choosing managers can be. If everybody appointed title winners from abroad, the vast majority still wouldn't win the premiership or the FA Cup !!!!

I used to look around teams in the lower leagues and their managers for possible up and coming managers, I was working near Aberdeen when Ferguson was manager and it stuck out a mile that he was heading for the top. Same as Clough and Taylor at Hartlepool. Nowadays I don't pay much attention to football in the lower leagues, I don't know why, probably because there is too much top level football on TV.

this used to be the way of doing things ie finding managers from the low leagues.

It's changed now, but there is no reason why it couldn't succeed. A good manager is a good manager, wherever he is, and identifying him from a lower league is no different to identifying foreigners in a foreign league.

You don't need to look further than the likes of us, Man City, Spurs, and a few others to realise what a lottery choosing managers can be. If everybody appointed title winners from abroad, the vast majority still wouldn't win the premiership or the FA Cup !!!!

I used to look around teams in the lower leagues and their managers for possible up and coming managers, I was working near Aberdeen when Ferguson was manager and it stuck out a mile that he was heading for the top. Same as Clough and Taylor at Hartlepool. Nowadays I don't pay much attention to football in the lower leagues, I don't know why, probably because there is too much top level football on TV.

I do always tend to watch The Championship games like when they're on, you do get some cracking games, and they are a lot more entertaining than The Premiership.