Keegan won't rule out return

bawan

I don't think this is any bigger a gamble than most other alternatives, and is a far better choice than some of the absolute doughnuts who we could end up with ie McLaren to name one.

Will you all stop making this sound plausible and a good idea.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think this is any bigger a gamble than most other alternatives, and is a far better choice than some of the absolute doughnuts who we could end up with ie McLaren to name one.

Will you all stop making this sound plausible and a good idea.

Zip it, Dave lad.

To be honest I cant remember the real reason re the reserves but whatever it is, be it Isegrims answer or another I cant see how anyone who had been a top professional footballer could ever see the sense in doing away with the only means a player had to fight for a position or to become match fit and force their way into the first team.

The 2nds were ruining the pitch and as we loved to play football caused harm to our passing game. He also thought he could get enough friendlies for the reserves to keep their fitness up. Back in the day teams had small squads and the first team more or less picked itself anyway.

To be honest I cant remember the real reason re the reserves but whatever it is, be it Isegrims answer or another I cant see how anyone who had been a top professional footballer could ever see the sense in doing away with the only means a player had to fight for a position or to become match fit and force their way into the first team.

The 2nds were ruining the pitch and as we loved to play football caused harm to our passing game. He also thought he could get enough friendlies for the reserves to keep their fitness up. Back in the day teams had small squads and the first team more or less picked itself anyway.

Story I heard was this: At the time the reserves had to play somthing like 75% of their fixtures on the team's home ground (this was a short-lived Premier League rule that only lasted 1 or 2 seasons). As you say, this was wrecking the pitch. KK and a few other managers were threatening to pull their reserve teams but when the league wouldn't budge only KK stuck to his guns. Like Leazes I think he probably has learnt from mistakes he made in the past but like manc-mag I think it would be a bad move overall.

Am I the only one who remembers the fact he disbanded the reserves and became totally obsessed with stopping people setting foot on the turf?

The reserves decision was one of sheer lunacy tbh.

Now the bloke runs a circus, yep he'll fit in perfectly with the clowns we already have.

but I thought the clowns had gone ? And they were the only clowns in the world ?

Anyway PP, are you forgetting the real reason the reserves was disbanded ? Do you know ? Do you also know that at Fulham he started a new youth programme ..... so whatever happened, he learned from mistakes and certainly doesn't think this now ?

When I refer to clowns I didnt mean the board (after all Coco didnt get a look in with the last lot ;) ) I was referring to some of the players, Barton, Geremi, Shola, Carr to name but 4.

I agree totally that Id prefer the Keegan/ Shearer partnership to the likes of McLaren and a number of others but then again Id prefer someone with a proven track record rather than clinging onto the shirttails of the past. A proven successful management record is something neither of those have.

Hand on heart, could you scream for their resignation if they made the type of decisions the last few have, if Bellamy was still here and had the same bust up with Shearer would you stick up for him LM or would you decide KK/AS were always right?

When KK plays Smith in midfield and continues to pick Carr will people sing "you dont know what you're doing" or will we blindly follow them? More worryingly, if things dont quite go to plan and we're languishing near the bottom 3 will KK up sticks and go? mouthing off about brochures? Or as last time will he fuck off should we murder the likes of Spurs 7-1?

Dont get me wrong, I love both of those for the legends that they are but I hope Im not blinded by sentimentality and sheer blind faith in the past.

The club were told they had to play a percentage of reserve games at SJP. Basically, the pitch wasn't up to it, it wasn't even up to the first team games. They applied for special permission to play elsewhere [Kingston Park ?] but were turned down. I don't honestly think they had much choice or rather, the pitch at SJP would have looked horses were running over it.

I'm not defending it, I wasn't happy about it, but I just understand the reason, and the club was put into a corner.

Hand on heart, I would want anybody out who seemed to lose their way. If a manager had came in, and replaced Craig Bellamy before selling him or showed us he knew what he was doing, I'd have supported it. Maybe it boils down to showing can be trusted, Souness couldn't do that. I wasn't very happy when Keegan sold Cole and Venison, but I trusted that he did it with the clubs best interests at heart, for whatever reason. He'd proved he made decisions for the good of the club and notfor himself - in his opinion- and didn't have to prove it.

I don't think I'm being sentimental. I just think if Keegan had the desire its more than worth a shot, and more importantly, I don't think Keegan would take it if he didn't really think he had the desire for it again himself. Thats the trust that I mean.

He and Shearer have a lot to gain, and equally a lot to lose, and they both know this. They won't do it unless they are absolutely determined to succeed.

Just saw Taylor 27, Alan Shearer and Ottmar Hitzfield in the strawberry having a pint of heroine with Mort, Ashley, Ashley from coronation street and the ghost of charlie chaplin tbh...