Keegan won't rule out return

bawan

Former Newcastle United manager Kevin Keegan is not ruling himself 'in or out' of a return to the club he 'loves'.

Keegan has emerged as a popular choice to replace Sam Allardyce at St James' Park after Harry Redknapp's decision to stay at Portsmouth.

Reports have claimed that Keegan could form a managerial 'dream team' with Magpies legend Alan Shearer.

When asked about any interest in a second stint as Newcastle boss by Sky Sports News, Keegan admitted he had not had time to think about the subject.

However, he acknowledged his affection for the club and did not dismiss the possibility of another stab at the job.

"I'm not ruling myself in or out, or anything," Keegan told Sky Sports News.

"It's a club I love and that's all I'm prepared to say. Everybody knows that. It's a club I've managed before."

Keegan's first spell as Newcastle manager started in February 1992 as he kept the team in the old Division Two before winning the title the following year.

He led the club to third spot in their first campaign in the Premier League and blew a 12-point lead at the top in the 1995/96 season.

After leaving the club in January 1997, Keegan had spells in charge of Fulham, England and Manchester City, which was his last managerial position almost three years ago.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bugger, beat me to it!

It's ridiculous, my head says no but my heart says yes, I actually feel excited by the prospect of Kev returning to us - totally irrational but I can't help it. Nostalgia-tastic!!!

I said last week, it was my first thought when Allardyce went and I got all geet butterflies and that.

To continue Patrokles' relationship analogy, like going back with that gorgeous mad bitch who was the best lay of your life. You know it's a mistake, but fuck it.

would shearer be happy as keegan's number two though? i read somehwere that he is only interested in being manager, not someone's assistant.

...and i don't think keegan is up to it these days tbh. he looked like a broken man by the end of his city tenure.

I really hope not. I don't want anything to tarnish the guy who brought us the best years I've ever seen at Newcastle.

He went clinically insane on national television and we still love him.

Even if he only did as well as Allardyce, the least he'd do is play football the fans would put up with.

I really hope not. I don't want anything to tarnish the guy who brought us the best years I've ever seen at Newcastle.

He went clinically insane on national television and we still love him.

Even if he only did as well as Allardyce, the least he'd do is play football the fans would put up with.

I think we love him because he went clinically insane on tv tbh.

would shearer be happy as keegan's number two though? i read somehwere that he is only interested in being manager, not someone's assistant.

...and i don't think keegan is up to it these days tbh. he looked like a broken man by the end of his city tenure.

That's the big problem with Keegan, people twitter on about "tactically naive" and such guff, but his one big flaw is he cracks when the pressure gets too high.

I suppose it could be interesting if he'd come as a secondary role to Shearer (and then Shearer would get more of the public pressure), but really the opportunity for more NUFC soap opera tabloid inches is massive a few months or years down the line - there is just so much that might go wrong.

My fear is that he'll become to Newcastle what Venables did with England.... The former manager who in his stint in the hot seat, couldn't put a foot wrong, coming back as assistant and being a shadow of the effect he had first time around.

Arthur Cox to lesser extent was the same when he came back as coach under KK. Those who remember back to when Willie McFaul was sacked, the crowd's favourite to get the job was Cox (pretty much in the same way people want to give it back to KK now).

If he cracked again cos we were leading the prem and getting caught by the manure then i would still love him - fuck me i can only dream of that.

My 2p worth is that he went to other clubs and then england but never had the love - we broke his heart and he was never the same anywhere else - if he could rekindle the passion as a figurehead with a good team under him - why not? we can't get any worse

If he cracked again cos we were leading the prem and getting caught by the manure then i would still love him - fuck me i can only dream of that.

My 2p worth is that he went to other clubs and then england but never had the love - we broke his heart and he was never the same anywhere else - if he could rekindle the passion as a figurehead with a good team under him - why not? we can't get any worse

He's too emotional and thus can't handle it when fans turn on him when all he's doing is trying his best. He'll only ever get that leeway here.

Manc-mag, my sentiments too. was saying last night that his football was something I was brought up on, spoilt if we're honest and if he did come back and failed to be any kind of success this time around, it would be like finding out that Santa wasnt real- KK wasnt really the messiah. Saying that he is the only man (aside from Shearer) who would be sure of getting time and patience by the fans. Newcastle is KK's club and regardless of what happened at City & England, he'd be welcomed back with open arms even from those who dont want him, purely because of his reputation here.

Guest James_coDurham

I'd be for this. With the money he'll bring in the flair players. He never really had the backing at the other clubs that he had here and I think that's important for his style of management to succeed.

I don't think it'd be a disaster and we wouldn't hate him if it didn't work, because the measure of the man would mean that if things were to somehow go wrong, he would step aside and not sit for a pay-off. I wouldn't hate Kev if he came back, it didn't work out so he stepped aside for a different manager. Not at all.

I'd be for this. With the money he'll bring in the flair players. He never really had the backing at the other clubs that he had here and I think that's important for his style of management to succeed.

I don't think it'd be a disaster and we wouldn't hate him if it didn't work, because the measure of the man would mean that if things were to somehow go wrong, he would step aside and not sit for a pay-off. I wouldn't hate Kev if he came back, it didn't work out so he stepped aside for a different manager. Not at all.

I like the cut of your jib.

I like the cut of your jib.

I could perhaps stomach it in that context, but the bit in bold is wrong. He's had the financial backing everywhere and to be honest both Fulham and City fans were grateful to have him at the club.

Not idolised in anywhere approaching the same way as here, but he certainly wasnt being barracked.