Le Fil De Deschamps In/Out De Fonctionnaire!

Andrew Flintoff

I really don't know what to think. I don't follow continental football much so I have no idea how he lines his teams up. Why isn't he still at Juve out of interest?

I'm intruiged as to how Mort came to see him as the answer seeing as how neither him or Ashley are footballing men? Hopefully it's a tip off from Wenger this time rather than that turd Kemsley.

People above him forcing signings on him IIRC

Cheers. So he wasn't sacked then. This looks promising as someone has obviously put a word in for Deshcamps, probably Houllier as mentioned earlier.

His comment about faggots wearing pink in France didn't help much, either.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

now this would be an exciting appointment.

he's young, highly rated, he's got a high profile across europe and he won the lot as a player. he's bound to help attract much better quality foreign players than the likes of redknapp and hughes. i could see a lot of good french players joining the club if he gets the job.

the first manager we've been linked with that i'm genuinely excited about. :D

now this would be an exciting appointment.

he's young, highly rated, he's got a high profile across europe and he won the lot as a player. he's bound to help attract much better quality foreign players than the likes of redknapp and hughes. i could see a lot of good french players joining the club if he gets the job.

the first manager we've been linked with that i'm genuinely excited about. :icon_lol:

:D

i'm surprised nufc.com haven;t commented on this. they're usually one of the first to confirm if there;s any truth in a rumour.

no news of this on most of the big football sites either. where did this rumour originate?

i'm surprised nufc.com haven;t commented on this. they're usually one of the first to confirm if there;s any truth in a rumour.

no news of this on most of the big football sites either. where did this rumour originate?

Talksport, apparently the Houllier rumour is a smokescreen for Deschamps.

There's a brief mention of Deschamps on a Houllier article on Sky Sports' site.

just found this on the guardian website

Deschamps in the running as Houllier rules himself out of Newcastle race

Scott Murray, Josh Widdicombe and agencies

Tuesday January 15, 2008

Newcastle's search for a new manager took another twist tonight as Didier Deschamps became the new bookies' favourite to take over at St James' Park.

The catalyst for the news was a story in France Football, who reported that Deschamps was contacted immediately after Newcastle's 6-0 defeat to Manchester United on Sunday. According to the magazine, Deschamps will meet with Newcastle directors to finalise an agreement within a matter of hours. As a result the odds on the Frenchman dropped from 80-1 to as low as 2-1 with some bookmakers.

Former Chelsea captain Deschamps cut his teeth as a manager at Monaco - taking them to a Champions League final in 2004 - and also had a spell in charge at Juventus.

It was another Frenchman who looked to be in pole position earlier in the day as the Tyneside rumour mill churned with the news that former Liverpool, Lyon and France manager Gérard Houllier had had informal discussions about taking over at St James' Park, with suggestions that he could form a partnership with Alan Shearer. But Houllier now looks to be ruled out of the race after France Football Federation president Jean-Pierre Escalettes said Houllier had told him he wouldn't be moving to Newcastle. "Gérard's word is enough for me. He works for us," he said."I talked to Gérard by telephone and he told me 'every time an English club is in difficulty my name comes up'.

A partnership between Shearer and Kevin Keegan had been previously mooted, but it is understood that the two aren't exactly best of friends.

Shearer was asked if he wanted the Newcastle job as he arrived back on Tyneside from his holiday in Barbados this morning. "Am I wanting it?" he replied. "One day, hopefully." Questioned further about the possibility of him linking up with Keegan, he said: "I haven't spoken to Kevin for a long time. We will have to see."

news to me that shearer and keegan aren't friendly. anyone know what their beef is?

Edited by Dr Gloom

Quotes in tomorrows Telegraph

Didier Deschamps has revealed he would relish the "exciting" test of reviving Newcastle's fortunes after he swept ahead of Mark Hughes and fellow Frenchman Gerard Houllier to emerge as the front-runner in the race to be the club's next manager.

"I have had no official approach from Newcastle but I am flattered to be linked with such speculation," Deschamps told The Daily Telegraph. "It would be an exciting challenge. Newcastle are a big club."

The odds on Deschamps, 39, taking the helm at St James' Park plunged from 80-1 to 2-1 although suggestions the former Monaco and Juventus manager was already flying to Tyneside for talks with Newcastle's billionaire owner, Mike Ashley, were wide of the mark.

Deschamps, who captained France to their 1998 World Cup final victory over Brazil, was sacked by Juventus last May, then turned down the Manchester City job later taken by Sven-Goran Eriksson. Should he succeed the sacked Sam Allardyce it would mark a return to English football eight years after he helped Chelsea win the FA Cup.

As well as having led Monaco to the 2004 Champions League final and guided Juventus to promotion from Serie B, Deschamps also fits the criteria set down by Newcastle chairman Chris Mort in that he can speak English.

Mort effectively ruled out an audacious move for Jose Mourinho. "We are not currently a Champions League team, and in six seasons out of the last 10 we have finished in the bottom half of the Premier League," Mort said. "That means we are not necessarily going to interest a manager already at a team playing Champions League football or whose only ambition is to manage a top team in, say, Spain or Italy."

advertisement

The French Football Federation played down suggestions that Houllier, the organisation's technical director, was heading for Newcastle.

Houllier, 60, is being tipped to form a managerial team with former Newcastle captain Alan Shearer, 37, who entered the fray at Newcastle Airport on his return from Barbados.

Asked about the opening, Shearer said: "Am I wanting it? One day, hopefully." As for linking up with Kevin Keegan, he added: "I haven't spoken to Kevin for a long time."

The odds on Deschamps, 39, taking the helm at St James' Park plunged from 80-1 to 2-1 although suggestions the former Monaco and Juventus manager was already flying to Tyneside for talks with Newcastle's billionaire owner, Mike Ashley, were wide of the mark.

i didn't realise anal oliver was filing for the telegraph these days

i didn't realise anal oliver was filing for the telegraph these days

I highlighted it but couldn't be arsed explaining why. Thought it would be obvious :D