Sir Bobby speaks

Bombadil

Sir Bobby Robson has insisted Newcastle United remain the biggest threat to the Big Four’s dominance of English football despite their present troubles.

Robson, who celebrates his 75th birthday on Monday, became Magpies manager when the club was in an even more precarious Premier League position following Ruud Gullit’s departure in August 1999.

But within three years United were playing in the Champions League, were seen as potential Premier League champions and finished in the top five three years running.

Newcastle’s demise since Robson was foolishly sacked by former chairman Freddie Shepherd after just four games of the 2004-05 campaign has been as embarrassing as it has been spectacular, but Robson is convinced United still have everything in place to challenge the Big Four’s increasingly depressing monopoly.

“There are clubs in the Premier League who could do it,” said Robson. “There are clubs who could break the monopoly, but Newcastle are the ones who have the best chance of breaking into it and staying there because of the fanbase, the financial backing and the fact it’s a one-club city which eats, drinks and breathes football. I’d love to see it happen, even now, I’m just a fan really. Newcastle are a bigger club than Everton, they are a bigger club than Aston Villa and even Tottenham. They are big clubs, of course they are, but Newcastle are bigger. I might be biased of course, but I firmly believe that if one team is going to shake things up it is Newcastle United.” And having done it once before when he was in charge, Robson knows Newcastle are also the club the Big Four fear most as they try to maintain their self-perpetuating elite.

Given that the Magpies are more concerned with relegation from the Premier League than qualification for the Champions League this season, Robson’s comments may seem strange, but he claims he knows from experience what Newcastle are capable of as a football club.

He explained: “We might have done it you know. We came close, do you remember? We never did as well as I thought we could in the League Cup, I don’t know why, and the FA Cup is very tough to win, the Big Four have dominated it. But for a time we were in the Big Four, we scared them, don’t doubt that for a second. I know we scared them because people like Sir Alex Ferguson told me we did, that young team we had – Shearer, Robert, Speed, Solano, Dyer, Bellamy, Jenas and so on – it was a quick team, a pacy team and we played good football as well.”

The present United squad, according to Robson, does not compare favourably with the one he carefully constructed, but he is happy with the return of Kevin Keegan, a manager who, like him, has a special affinity for the club. And with a little bit of time and, crucially, the financial backing of new owner Mike Ashley, Robson hopes Newcastle will manage to return to their former glories.

He said: “It’s going to take Kevin time. It isn’t going to happen straight away. It took me two seasons to get us into Europe, but I had that little bit of time and we improved gradually, we built the squad up and when players left we brought in better ones to replace them.

“That is what Kevin will do. I don’t think we will go down, I can’t see us being relegated this season, so Kevin’s just got to consolidate, look at what he’s got and then go out in the summer and get the best players he can. It’s not going to be easy because all the clubs are going for the same players, but Newcastle have got a chance.”

Sir Bobby Robson has insisted Newcastle United remain the biggest threat to the Big Four’s dominance of English football despite their present troubles.

Robson, who celebrates his 75th birthday on Monday, became Magpies manager when the club was in an even more precarious Premier League position following Ruud Gullit’s departure in August 1999.

But within three years United were playing in the Champions League, were seen as potential Premier League champions and finished in the top five three years running.

Newcastle’s demise since Robson was foolishly sacked by former chairman Freddie Shepherd after just four games of the 2004-05 campaign has been as embarrassing as it has been spectacular, but Robson is convinced United still have everything in place to challenge the Big Four’s increasingly depressing monopoly.

“There are clubs in the Premier League who could do it,” said Robson. “There are clubs who could break the monopoly, but Newcastle are the ones who have the best chance of breaking into it and staying there because of the fanbase, the financial backing and the fact it’s a one-club city which eats, drinks and breathes football. I’d love to see it happen, even now, I’m just a fan really. Newcastle are a far bigger club than Everton, they are a bigger club than Aston Villa and even Tottenham. They are big clubs, of course they are, but Newcastle are bigger. I might be biased of course, but I firmly believe that if one team is going to shake things up it is Newcastle United.” And having done it once before when he was in charge, Robson knows Newcastle are also the club the Big Four fear most as they try to maintain their self-perpetuating elite.

Given that the Magpies are more concerned with relegation from the Premier League than qualification for the Champions League this season, Robson’s comments may seem strange, but he claims he knows from experience what Newcastle are capable of as a football club.

He explained: “We might have done it you know. We came close, do you remember? We never did as well as I thought we could in the League Cup, I don’t know why, and the FA Cup is very tough to win, the Big Four have dominated it. But for a time we were in the Big Four, we scared them, don’t doubt that for a second. I know we scared them because people like Sir Alex Ferguson told me we did, that young team we had – Shearer, Robert, Speed, Solano, Dyer, Bellamy, Jenas and so on – it was a quick team, a pacy team and we played good football as well.”

The present United squad, according to Robson, does not compare favourably with the one he carefully constructed, but he is happy with the return of Kevin Keegan, a manager who, like him, has a special affinity for the club. And with a little bit of time and, crucially, the financial backing of new owner Mike Ashley, Robson hopes Newcastle will manage to return to their former glories.

He said: “It’s going to take Kevin time. It isn’t going to happen straight away. It took me two seasons to get us into Europe, but I had that little bit of time and we improved gradually, we built the squad up and when players left we brought in better ones to replace them.

“That is what Kevin will do. I don’t think we will go down, I can’t see us being relegated this season, so Kevin’s just got to consolidate, look at what he’s got and then go out in the summer and get the best players he can. It’s not going to be easy because all the clubs are going for the same players, but Newcastle have got a chance.”

I agree wholeheartedly with Sir Bobby's comments, but why say we're bigger than Tottenham, Everton and Villa. Ferguson would never say Man Utd, are bigger than Bolton, Wigan and Blackburn. No point in stating the obvious Sir Bobby!

Are we allowed to put a statue up of him? I know Ipswich already has one but if anyone deserves one after Milburn up here, its Bobby.

I don't really agree. I love the guy but he came here at the end of his career and never played for us. Keegan and Shearer gave more of their prime to us.

Are we allowed to put a statue up of him? I know Ipswich already has one but if anyone deserves one after Milburn up here, its Bobby.

I don't really agree. I love the guy but he came here at the end of his career and never played for us. Keegan and Shearer gave more of their prime to us.

He brought us Brilliant football and awesome league displays finishes etc, champions league. He done a lot of good and is a local personality however that doesn't warrant a statue outside St.James's.

A statue for the North East perhaps?

What he "achieved" at NUFC is pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things I think.

Legendary man in all aspects of life and from the area. Certainly think he deserves his statue in the NE somewhere.

He brought us Brilliant football and awesome league displays finishes etc, champions league. He done a lot of good and is a local personality however that doesn't warrant a statue outside St.James's.

A statue for the North East perhaps?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2130373.stm

If he loved the club so much, why did he not touch us with a barge pole until he was in his late 60s?

Like I say, I love the guy, but to put up a statue on the basis that he finished in the top 5 for 3 years is a joke.

He was possibly the greatest manager to ever lead our club, how much might we have achieved if he had "bled black and white" a little bit earlier?

If he loved the club so much, why did he not touch us with a barge pole until he was in his late 60s?

Like I say, I love the guy, but to put up a statue on the basis that he finished in the top 5 for 3 years is a joke.

He was possibly the greatest manager to ever lead our club, how much might we have achieved if he had "bled black and white" a little bit earlier?

Bobby did amazing things for our club, he also in the end was undoing all his good work which is unfortunate.

I often wonder where the club would be now if he had of taken the position when he was allegedly offered after KK walked?

The pace, speed and skill of that squad were all things SBR wanted in a team and he himself was still in his managerial prime.

One can dream!

About 10 people should get a statue before Robson imo.

Lee Clark?

Probably a slight exaggeration on my part but I don't see why he should get one before the likes of KK, Joe Harvey, Len White, Hughie Gallacher, Jimmy Scoular and Pedro off the top of my head.

About 10 people should get a statue before Robson imo.

Lee Clark?

Probably a slight exaggeration on my part but I don't see why he should get one before the likes of KK, Joe Harvey, Len White, Hughie Gallacher, Jimmy Scoular and Pedro off the top of my head.

I'd give Shearer one once he dies. No-one else though.