Whole lotta shaking

@yourservice

Just been watching the box in bed, and me beds just shook like mad :lol: felt like someone grabbed it and shook

:hiya:

Now hearing there has been tremors through the country...thank fuck for that, thought i had a visitor

Edited by @yourservice

Property owners were out this morning assessing the damage to their homes and businesses after Britain suffered its biggest earthquake in over two decades.

The tremor, measuring 5.2 on the Richter scale and with its focus 3.1 miles (5km) below the Lincolnshire town of Market Rasen, struck at 12.56am.

It was felt from southern Scotland to the south coast of England, and from East Anglia to Wales, with tremors lasting for up to a minute that sent walls vibrating, chimneys shaking, furniture moving, paperwork tumbling and ornaments rattling on shelves.

The only definite report of injury was of David Nates, a 19-year-old student in Wombwell, Barnsley, who suffered a suspected fractured pelvis when part of the roof masonry fell through the ceiling of his attic bedroom and landed on his legs as he watched TV. His parents were also in the house, but were unhurt.

His father said today: “Of all the things that can happen - an earthquake. I could not believe it but when I think about it, it could have been worse.”

A spokeswoman for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said that "some sort of fancy stonework" had become dislodged.

In Birmingham a 31-year-old pregnant woman suffered a panic attack, but did not need hospital treatment.

But emergency services were inundated with calls from puzzled and frightened people woken from sleep by the quake. This morning they were still dealing with minor damage caused by the earth movement.

Police in the Midlands received more than 5,000 calls in an hour and in Dudley 12 people walked into the police station in their pyjamas.

In many places people were anxious enough to leave their houses. Ken Bridger, Market Rasen, wrote in a comment on Times Online: "I was woken at about 1am with a violent shudder, the house seem to be moving from side to side and the mirror rattling against the wall.

"I knew it was an earthquake due to the sheer movement that had taken place. I got dressed and went outside, there were people out of their houses along the main street."

Eleanor Ramsey, 31, also of Market Rasen, said: “I was scared to death. The whole house was shaking.

Reverend Michael Cartwright, the vicar of Market Rasen, said that a stone cross had fallen from St Thomas’s Church and hit part of the building’s roof, dislodging tiles, before smashing on the ground.

The Rev Cartwright said: “Fortunately for us, it did not actually go through the roof. Obviously, the earthquake has given us some slippage with the tiles as well, but we have been very, very lucky.”

The repair bill is expected to exceed £10,000, but the clergyman said he was confident that the grade-II* listed, medieval church was insured against acts of God.

A spokesman for Humberside Fire and Rescue Service said that its own headquarters building had been rocked by the quake, but despite their own fear staff had continued to give reassurance and advice to about 200 worried 999 callers.

“We’ve still got some active incidents as daylight has come and people have seen the damage," said the spokesman.

“People are waking up and going to work and finding bits have been displaced on chimney stacks or garden walls.”

Most of the incidents crews responded to overnight involved collapsed chimneys and dangerous roofs.

The spokesman said the worst-hit area appeared to be Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, but other areas affected included Cleethorpes, Goole, Bridlington and Hull.

In South Yorkshire fire crews attended 13 incidents after reports of collapsed and dangerous chimney stacks. Staff gave advice to another 25 callers, mostly in Rotherham, Barnsley and Doncaster.

In Bedworth, Warwickshire, there was a report of scaffolding falling down in the quake.

Police in many counties reported a busy night. In Norfolk, the computer monitors in the force control room shook as staff dealt with more than 100 emergency calls. In Wiltshire, police said the pictures on the walls swung to and fro, as around 15 people called 999.

The bits in bold made me <_<

desperate fear mongering

hit Leeds, place has been flattened, causing a fivers worth of damage <_<

Reports from Hull suggest it's caused around a milllion pounds worth of improvements :razz:

4.7 on the scale from Lincoln

My cousin lives right by the epicentre, must have been pretty interesting there as it was quite strong way up here.

funnily enough there was absoutely no damage at the epicentre....................... slightly odd

4.7 on the scale from Lincoln

My cousin lives right by the epicentre, must have been pretty interesting there as it was quite strong way up here.

funnily enough there was absoutely no damage at the epicentre....................... slightly odd

Yep. The bloke who sits next to me at work's Dad lives practically on top of the epicentre and there was no damage there at all apparently.