Official Match Thread - Birmingham 1-1 Newcastle

khay

I knew I'd come on here to find people crying about the decision to sub Martins. Made sense tbh. Owen stays on because of the two he's probably more likely to score. Viduka stays on because if you knock the ball up to him, more often than not it sticks. So Martins comes off.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bollocks did taking Martins off kill the momentum. It was already gone. N'Zogbia did just as much as Martins would have when he came on.

I disagree. Where Martins worked well with Owen and Viduka, The Zog was dangerous on his own.

As an aside, did anyone else notice Owen coming quite deep to collect the ball? Something I would have thought Viduka might have done (then again, he wouldn't have been in position for the flick on). My point is that if Owen hadn't have done it no-one else would have? Martins was going all out (but then he's trying to play into favour) whereas Owen might have seen the bigger picture (if one of us doesn't go back we'll all get fuck all). Granted Owen has been favoured mroe so is maybe not under the 'need to impress the boss' fear Martins is. Having said that, Owen is struggling himself at the minute so he has a much to prove as anyone.

That last bit is not a statement per ce, more an observation with some mixed thoughts.......

Owen was in the right place to get 2 tonight. That's all we really need to see from him.

I knew I'd come on here to find people crying about the decision to sub Martins. Made sense tbh. Owen stays on because of the two he's probably more likely to score. Viduka stays on because if you knock the ball up to him, more often than not it sticks. So Martins comes off.

Hindsight-tastic :(

Happy with the result. Don't have Setanta, so I can't comment on our performance. From the sounds of things we were poor in the first half, but improved in the second.

Errrrr, what?

Happy with the result. Don't have Setanta, so I can't comment on our performance. From the sounds of things we were poor in the first half, but improved in the second.

We did enough in the 2nd half to sneak it imo.

It's in these games we miss a proper midfielder who can put tired and backpeddling side under pressure.

I agree.

2nd half was a much better performance from the team as a whole man. He's one player, what we need now is a team game. Ok I may not have agreed with it at the time, but it's a team game. We got a much deserved point, a bit of optimism back. That's all that matters at the end of the day, much more than one individual.

It's in these games we miss a proper midfielder who can put tired and backpeddling side under pressure.

Surely Duff, CNZ and Milner would normally fill those boots?

Surely Duff, CNZ and Milner would normally fill those boots?

I was thinking more playmaker, but your point also stands. :(

Errrrr, what?

The match has finished hasn't it ???

Agree. That's why I still can't understand why people were that happy about getting rid of Dyer without having a decent replacement, but even worse about him breaking his leg when it was clear that this would likely mean West Ham to sign Solano as well. Without any creativity in the side you can't expect too much.

Errrrr, what?

lol at being able to interpret the reasoning behind a substitution beyond ZOMG HES TAKEN OFF MARTINS KEEGAN SO SPASTICATED requiring hindsight. Yes, the match has finished, but the decision made as much sense when it was made as it does now.

Hindsight-tastic :rolleyes:

Errrrr, what?

lol at being able to interpret the reasoning behind a substitution beyond ZOMG HES TAKEN OFF MARTINS KEEGAN SO SPASTICATED requiring hindsight. Yes, the match has finished, but the decision made as much sense when it was made as it does now.

With the benefit of knowing the result, that's very big of you :(

I'm off to bed anyway, knobheads! I would have taken a draw before the game, and I definitely would have taken one at half time. There's a good chance we'll beat Fulham this weekend an'all, cos I'm not there!

Hindsight-tastic :blush:

Errrrr, what?

With the benefit of knowing the result, that's very big of you :(

Thick as mince. :rolleyes:

Errrrr, what?

Hindsight's wonderful, you knew that your argument would work after you made it.

Hindsight-tastic :rolleyes:

Errrrr, what?

Hindsight's wonderful, you knew that your argument would work after you made it.

:(

Hindsight-tastic :blush:

Errrrr, what?

ffs, how do you two manage to type and suck eachother off at the same time ???

:rolleyes:

Bollocks did taking Martins off kill the momentum. It was already gone. N'Zogbia did just as much as Martins would have when he came on.

I disagree. Where Martins worked well with Owen and Viduka, The Zog was dangerous on his own.

As an aside, did anyone else notice Owen coming quite deep to collect the ball? Something I would have thought Viduka might have done (then again, he wouldn't have been in position for the flick on). My point is that if Owen hadn't have done it no-one else would have? Martins was going all out (but then he's trying to play into favour) whereas Owen might have seen the bigger picture (if one of us doesn't go back we'll all get fuck all). Granted Owen has been favoured mroe so is maybe not under the 'need to impress the boss' fear Martins is. Having said that, Owen is struggling himself at the minute so he has a much to prove as anyone.

That last bit is not a statement per ce, more an observation with some mixed thoughts.......

Owen was in the right place to get 2 tonight. That's all we really need to see from him.

If he'd been upfront more (like Martins) he'd have been in the right position more, but then, if he'd not gone and collected the ball to fashion chances, there'd have been nothing for him to get on the end of..... arrgh cannot compute..... syntax error, substring out of range...... err....

It's against these teams we miss someone like Milner. Geremi did well to an extent, but his final ball's into the box were shocking. Milner has regressed this year I think, but against these teams at the bottom you'd think he'd make a difference, so it's a shame he'll be missing for a few weeks. Hopefully he'll be back for the Reading game or N'Zogbia will be playing so well that he can't get in the team :(

My fear is he'll drop Martins on Saturday, which is why I'm annoyed at the decision tonight. Similar to the incident with Robbie Keane yesterday, where he was having a better game than Berbatov, yet was sacrificed. Either way, what's done is done, onward and upward to Saturday!

Guest Patrokles
I'd say with hindsight it was a poor decision. We didn't score any more goals after Martins had gone off, so I don't know what you fannies are arguing about.