New music

Toonraider

Guest Patrokles

It's a shame the only rawk band worth giving the time of day in the last few years has been System Of A Down, the whole area is dying on it's arse.

You just haven't heard the right stuff! Hot Snakes, for example.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a shame the only rawk band worth giving the time of day in the last few years has been System Of A Down, the whole area is dying on it's arse.

I'll have a look. Ta.

I was also doing a disservice to The Mars Volta who are supreme. Though less so on their latest album.

Guest Patrokles

I'll have a look. Ta.

I was also doing a disservice to The Mars Volta who are supreme. Though less so on their latest album.

I'll see what else I can dig up. I haven't really listened to much RAWK for a while, so HS are the only that spring immediately to mind.

Oh, I guess Figurines rock. They're very good at least. Baby Woodrose rock in a 60s organ kinda way.

Yeah they're very good, there's a lot of excellent music comming out of Scandanavia at the moment.

What do you think of Mew, The Raveonettes and Kashmir?

Seeing as you like the great Metallica, might I tempt you with a bit of metal?

By the way which era do you prefer - before or after the lead singer Hetfield's voice broke (a little late mind)?

I love Metallica saw them on the snake pit tour. I prefer their earlier stuff, master of puppets and ride the lightening being my favourite albums.

So what metal did you have in mind then? :calmdown: Im patial to it but dislike the thrash stuff.

Strange seeing as your favourite Metallica albums are from the thrash era. :calmdown:

Good recent metal bands (with "clean" vocals - no grunts etc) I recommend, are Sonata Arctica, Blind Guardian, Kamelot, Dragonforce and Nightwish.

Guest Patrokles

Oh, I guess Figurines rock. They're very good at least. Baby Woodrose rock in a 60s organ kinda way.

Yeah they're very good, there's a lot of excellent music comming out of Scandanavia at the moment.

Mew have been good for a while, Ravs are decent. Suburban Kids With Biblical names and Jens Lekman are grrreat. Broder Daniel are a guilty pleasure. Hakan Hellstrom is neat. That Frida Hyvönen is good. Hello, Saferide are okay.

Guest Patrokles

Seeing as you like the great Metallica, might I tempt you with a bit of metal?

By the way which era do you prefer - before or after the lead singer Hetfield's voice broke (a little late mind)?

I love Metallica saw them on the snake pit tour. I prefer their earlier stuff, master of puppets and ride the lightening being my favourite albums.

So what metal did you have in mind then? :calmdown: Im patial to it but dislike the thrash stuff.

Strange seeing as your favourite Metallica albums are from the thrash era. :calmdown:

Good recent metal bands (with "clean" vocals - no grunts etc) I recommend, are Sonata Arctica, Blind Guardian, Kamelot, Dragonforce and Nightwish.

Therion FTW.

Mew have been good for a while, Ravs are decent. Suburban Kids With Biblical names and Jens Lekman are grrreat. Broder Daniel are a guilty pleasure. Hakan Hellstrom is neat. That Frida Hyvönen is good. Hello, Saferide are okay.

Yeah the last two albums from Mew has been class. If you don't know Kashmir, you should try and listen to the "Good Life", "Zitilites" and "No Balance Palace"-albums, they're all really good!

When I was talking to someone about Lorraine they recommended I listen to Mew. How similar are they?

Dunno how similar they are to Lorraine, but the best albums from Mew is "Frengers" and "And the Glass Handed Kites". You should try those :calmdown:

Guest Patrokles

When I was talking to someone about Lorraine they recommended I listen to Mew. How similar are they?

Dunno how similar they are to Lorraine, but the best albums from Mew is "Frengers" and "And the Glass Handed Kites". You should try those :calmdown:

Yeah, Frengers is neat.

They reissued the Icicle Works' debut this year with DELUXE treatment. Don't know if that really counts as new though.

I'm going to show myself up as a hit single-obsessed loser kid again here, but they have a 100% strike rate in the "songs I know by a band that are among my absolute favourite songs ever" stakes. That's 1 out of 1.

Go! Team album is very patchy indeed. Bottle Rocket was one of the best songs of last year but the rest is instantly ignorable. The Ice Storm offa their early ep is good.

Thought the album was absolutely awesome myself, breath of fresh air as far as I was concerned. Thought they were excellent live as well.

Guest Patrokles

They reissued the Icicle Works' debut this year with DELUXE treatment. Don't know if that really counts as new though.

I'm going to show myself up as a hit single-obsessed loser kid again here, but they have a 100% strike rate in the "songs I know by a band that are among my absolute favourite songs ever" stakes. That's 1 out of 1.

Birds Fly or Love is a Wonderful Colour? Has to be one of those two!

Wonderful Colour, yep. As a child of the 80s and a professional drama queen, it hits every conceivable button.

Guest Patrokles

Wonderful Colour, yep. As a child of the 80s and a professional drama queen, it hits every conceivable button.

Terrific song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKuTS5lojLc

Here's their other famous one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEmGhf9gBzk

It's every bit as good. A lot of their stuff around that time was terrific, too. Seven Horses, Lovers Day, Reaping the Rich Harvest, Travelling Chest, Sea Song, etc.

Familiar with the Associates, by the way? Might be your bag.

Edited by Patrokles

Guest Patrokles

A passing acquaintance, i.e. (and this is becoming a habit now) "Party Fears Two" and not much else.

Well, if there's one Associates song to know, it's that one.

There's this one, too, of course: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDL45Kvf7i8

and I love this one but no one else does: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJYBGzyKR1M...ted&search=

And this is a great live clip: