New music

Toonraider

Now that the 2009 on-season is starting, I'm finally getting round to downloading all the 2008 Eurovision national final songs. I'm off work tomorrow and Friday too, so what better time to investigate? It's going to be an atonal few days chez Meenzer. :D

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Merriweather Post Pavilion is a titanic record. and very different to Strawberry Jam.

not sure about giving the lads from AC mainstream success tho... :devil:

Doesn't sound massively different to me, in fact I keep starting to sing along to Peacebone before I realise it's a different song.

• 2 weeks later...

Some really canny new stuff out.

Morrissey - Years Of Refusal. Only heard 7 of the songs so far but I'm loving it. Much better than Ringleader (which was still canny)

Fever Ray - Fever Ray. The sister from The Knife and very similar to The Knife but a bit slower.

Handsome Furs - Face Control. Big improvement on their debut, loving it.

The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart - The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart. Pop with added feedback. First listen impressed a lot.

J.Tillman - Vacilando Territory Blues. Apparently he's our of Fleet Foxes but I like this much more.

Here We Go Magic - Here We Go Magic (can't these people think of names for their albums?). Part Paul Simon part psychedelic.

M.Ward - Hold Time. More quality from Mr Ward

• 4 months later...

Kasabian - The West Rider Pauper Lunatic Asylum - I like it more than I did Empire.

Pink Mountaintops - Outside Love - If you like Black Mountain you might like Stephen Mcbean's other band.

Eminem - Relapse - Still haven't been able to listen to more than a couple of tracks.

Ponytail - Ice Cream Spiritual - From last year, but I only just got it. Hard rocking cross between Sleater Kinney and Deerhoof.

Titus Andronicus - The Airing of Grievences - Another one I'm arriving late to. I was only attracted by the Festivus inspired title, but it's an excellent album. One reviewer said "Titus Andronicus sound like Bright Eyes with their guitars plugged right into the wall socket or Arcade Fire with fewer lessens but more consumption of cheap beer." Which pretty much covers it.

P.O.S. - Never Better - Yet to get into the rest of the album, but The Basics (Alright) is an instant favourite. People call the album rock rap, but that one's more like drum n bass rap.

Kanye West - 808's and Heartbreak - Horseshit.

Dananananakroyd - Hey Everyone - Tom mentioned these in 2006. They've finally got a debut album out. Fun guitar rock with extra drums. Enjoyable.

The Prodigy - Invaders Must Die - Their best album in donkeys I think. Really enjoyed it.

Brothe Ali - The Truth is Here - Why doesn't good rap like this get in the charts? Love the sample in Real as Can Be. There's lots of laid back lounge jazz stuff. Philistine David is a bit sub-eminem crap though.

Eels - Hombre Lobo - Jangly guitars. After people compared it with Souljacker I wanted more distortion. Only had one listen though. No doubt it'll grow. There are are some heavier tracks

• 2 months later...

Prodigy - as above - best album from them in years

La Roux - not bad but I think her voice might do yer head in after a second album - bit of a buzz saw

Florence & the Machine - - interesting but not really sing-a-long

Little Boots - a pity the album sounds nowt like the stuff that got her noticed - the album is a sort of Kylified mish mash

Bon Iver!

New Arctic Monkeys album as well but I haven't really gave it a listen yet.

Wasn't a big fan of Bon Ivers album, or the more recent EP.

If there's a single on the new Arctic Monkeys one as good as Dancefloor I'll give it a go, but I don't think anything else they've done has been up to it.

Adam Green?

Never heard of him. Had a look at Dance with Me on youtube. I reckon you just like his hair.

:mellow:

Heard some nice stuff over the weekend. Not sure how new it is.

White Tree Project with Ludovico Eunadi (dreamy, lovely piano-ey)

Alice Russell (Soul)

James Yuill (Folk)

Chinese Man record - Skank in the air (dub/electronic)

In Flagranti - Business Acumen (house)

Dan Black - Alone (dance mixes)

GaBLé - Fox in London

RAT:ATT:AGG

The Answer

The Sunshine Underground

Myriad Creatures

Dananananakroyd

Also have an album out now.

Called ''The right way to do wrong''

You can get it on itunes.

• 6 months later...
"Kingfisher" is a brand new song from Joanna Newsom's forthcoming triple LP, Have One on Me (out worldwide February 23), and it is now streaming at Drag City's website. The nine-minute-plus track is one of 18 songs on the album, which runs two hours, eight minutes, and 10 seconds, according to the official tracklist. When Joanna Newsom makes a triple LP, Joanna Newsom makes a triple LP!

http://www.dragcity.com/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Have-One-Me-Joanna...E4BYXQCDZG3KDHC

:(

:rolleyes:;)<_<:(

"Kingfisher" is a brand new song from Joanna Newsom's forthcoming triple LP, Have One on Me (out worldwide February 23), and it is now streaming at Drag City's website. The nine-minute-plus track is one of 18 songs on the album, which runs two hours, eight minutes, and 10 seconds, according to the official tracklist. When Joanna Newsom makes a triple LP, Joanna Newsom makes a triple LP!

:(

:rolleyes:;)<_<:(

It's leaked apparently :dork:

Can't find it like.

:)

:(:);) ;)

It's leaked apparently :(

Can't find it like.

I'm two tracks in. She's sounding VERY Kate Bushy.

Lush so far.

I caught the NME awards last night.

Atrocious.

It makes me feel old when I think all the ''cool'' stuff is utter wank.

Of course some decent bands are included on the premise they are too big to ignore.

I caught the NME awards last night.

Atrocious.

It makes me feel old when I think all the ''cool'' stuff is utter wank.

Of course some decent bands are included on the premise they are too big to ignore.

I wouldn't worry about it. The NME was shit when I was a teenager. They gave Best Solo Artist to Robbie Williams FFS. Brightest Hope went to Starsailor and best Pop went to All Saints.