Owen and Oba - 4 year deals for both

Ketsbaia

Owen in the money as Newcastle set to pony up new four-year £20m contract

Last updated at 22:40pm on 16th April 2008

Michael Owen will open talks over a new £20million four-year contract at Newcastle United. Owner Mike Ashley is ready to tie Owen to a £110,000-a-week deal to replace the one which expires at the end of next season.

Manager Kevin Keegan has been keen to negotiate with Owen and his advisers since guiding Newcastle away from the relegation zone with an unbeaten five-game run.

Ashley is preparing a summer spending spree and the club are also on the verge of announcing a £90,000-aweek deal for Nigeria striker Obafemi Martins, who has already agreed the four-year contract in principle.

Owen scored four goals in four games as part of a three-man strikeforce before the goalless draw at Portsmouth on Saturday, when he was denied a certain goal by England team-mate David James.

The former Liverpool striker, who joined Newcastle in an £18m switch from Real Madrid in the summer 2005, has started Newcastle's last 16 games, easily his best run in his injury plagued time at the club.

He has scored 15 times in 33 League starts for the club, and Keegan said after the 3-0 win over Reading 12 days ago: 'I've already started to say we should be talking to Michael now, not next week, not next month. But now.

'Michael's not going to stop scoring goals, he's not going to stop catching the eye and Michael is going to be wanted by other clubs.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1779

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd honestly be happy with that. I know it's a lot of money, but it effectively increases the amount we can charge, for either of them.

Guest Stevie
More money than sense!

Four years will take them both to 32ish (yeah right Oba's 22!) and to be honest they won't be worth that much as players or as sellable assets in four years time.

Shut up you cock. I wish we had no foreign fans me, especially this cunt.

More money than sense!

Four years will take them both to 32ish (yeah right Oba's 22!) and to be honest they won't be worth that much as players or as sellable assets in four years time.

Sammy, you don't give some a four year contract and expect them to play at your team for four years, not for players like this. You put them on those contracts so that the cost of that can be factored into their transfer fee.

If we sold them next January, the buying team would have to compensate us a proportionate amount.

A lot of negativity about them signing 4 year contracts. I think its two great deals done by the club before the window has opened. Keeping high name players like Oba and Owen will only increase the chances of us getting some decent results with their names on the score sheet and attracting some of the right kind of player to Newcastle. Four more years!

More money than sense!

I can't believe people still talk about it, it's just so stupid

More money than sense!

Agreed, shut the fuck up.

Guest Stevie
More money than sense!

Agreed, shut the fuck up.

I R toon fan, does that stand for Interracial Toon fan, it's always bugged me not knowing.

All for this, we've got the money now and keeping Owen and Martins augurs well for the future I think. Shows we've still charm and appeal. Really looking forward to this transfer window, who knows who KK will come up with?

More money than sense!

Nice one Stevie, you need one of these ;) for every post don't you? :icon_lol:

It's a shame you act like a moron so much because 50% of what you talk about is quite informative.

Sammy, you don't give some a four year contract and expect them to play at your team for four years, not for players like this. You put them on those contracts so that the cost of that can be factored into their transfer fee.

If we sold them next January, the buying team would have to compensate us a proportionate amount.

Dave, you don't need to explain why, I do understand.

Thought for all though, it's great to see Owen (and Martins) doing so well but to justify paying them ridiculous wages so we can tie them down and make money on them if we sell them doesn't make sense as no club in their right mind will match those wages, so why would they go anywhere else. Look at the Dyer and Souness experience.

No other club would offer Martins anything even approaching 90k a week. It's fucking madness. And that's not me Martins-bashing, there's just no way he should be getting paid that sort of money. If he was at Pompey or Everton or Villa or Spurs he'd be on a fraction of that and he'd have to like it.

No other club would offer Martins anything even approaching 90k a week. It's fucking madness. And that's not me Martins-bashing, there's just no way he should be getting paid that sort of money. If he was at Pompey or Everton or Villa or Spurs he'd be on a fraction of that and he'd have to like it.

qft

qft

Oh wait what would foreign fans know [/stevie] ;)

That's probably true to be fair, I think Oba's cracking but I also think £90k p/w is a bit steep for him. I'll be pleased if we tie them both up with new 4 year contracts though - let's hope there aren't any stupid 'get-out' clauses in them.

You don't think he's worth more than than Robinho, Totti, Giggs and Essien?

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?...8&hl=salary

Mind you, he still wouldn't be on Bent money. ;)

It's good to know that people are happy to assume the Daily Mail have inside track on our contract dealings. You don't think, perhaps, agents might use little stories like this to put about their asking price, do you? Just maybe?

Wages are frequently over-exaggerated in the press, makes for a better story.

It's good to know that people are happy to assume the Daily Mail have inside track on our contract dealings. You don't think, perhaps, agents might use little stories like this to put about their asking price, do you? Just maybe?

;) Spot on.

You have to factor in something very important with player salaries. When you are struggling a little bit as a club, you don't have the same appeal as the top 4 and even to some extent Spurs (in London), and Everton (more consistent in recent years).

Oba and Owen are two excellent Premiership players who have experience at the very top level. Signing them up now adds stability and that is worth the extra few million over the next few years IMO.

Also this..... ;):icon_lol:

More money than sense!

;)