Avram Grant

acrossthepond

Grant shuts down on media at Goodison Park

Chelsea manager Avram Grant produced a bizarre performance at the post-match press conference following the 1-0 victory over Everton tonight.

The Israeli, who has been under pressure from the media for many weeks, would only asnwer press questions with short responses.

It also follows the Premier League's decision to allow the match to be brought forward to Thursday for live TV coverage, forcing Chelsea to play twice in the space of 72 hours.

What follows is a full transcription...

A deserved win Avram?

Grant said: 'Yes.'

What particularly pleased you about the performance?

'I'm pleased.'

What in particular pleased you?

After an eight second delay: 'I don't know.'

Is it a relief to win here?

'Yes.'

You seem lost for words by the performance. Are you more satisfied with the performance or the victory?

'Both.'

You seem distracted. Do you have a problem?

'No problem.'

Is there an issue?

'No. I'm ok. I have nothing to say.'

Do you have a message for the Chelsea fans?

'You represent the Chelsea fans?'

They must believe you are still in the title race, do you have a message for them?

'No message.'

Does this result mean you are back in it now?

'I don't know.'

How many steps have you climbed to undertake this press conference?

'I don't know.'

You seem less voluble than usual. Is it because of Sky TV moving the game to a Thursday?

'Maybe it's because of you. I don't know. I am ok.'

You are saying that you don't know if you are still in the title race?

'No.' Is it easier to say nothing Avram?

'I don't what to answer. It is a good question. I don't know what to answer.'

Is this because of Sky?

'No. Sky is ok. I enjoy watching them.'

Is it a protest against newspapers?

'No. Why?'

Why else would you come in and refuse to answer our questions?

'I answer every question.'

You are two points behind Manchester United and you don't know if you are still in the title race?

'No.'

Have you told the players that you don't know if you are back in the title race?

'What I tell the players is something else. You want me to tell you what I say to the players?'

We just want you to answer the question really. Are you in the title race?

'I don't know.'

Would you not like to gain some positive publicity for the result rather than this bizarre silence?

'I'm sorry. You can write whatever you want and I can answer what I want.'

Do you feel under pressure to deliver a trophy. Is that the reason for the monosyllabic answers?

'No.'

Are you upset? Do you feel you have been misrepresented?

'Maybe I have said because it is a bad season.'

Did Michael Essien faint?

'He had some problems, but he is ok.'

Michael Ballack?

'Injured.'

What's his problem?

'Ask the doctor.'

He's not here Avram.

'Well call him then.'

Have you ever played the yes/no game Avram?

From http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id...693&cc=5901

I think he's been told his time is up. He surely won't see out the season. Next major loss Chelsea suffer and he's gone.

Best bit btw is "What's his problem?" "Ask the doctor." Sounds like my little brother trying to wind someone up.

Edited by acrossthepond

For a manager who has had similar results to Mourinho he has got an awful lot of undeserved shit.

he has like , nobody expected them tobe in second place after the start jose got off to .

He's had an awful lot of stick he hasn't deserved. His recored i svery good, ok they do have a top class squad but still he's only lost 1 game or something? The Chelsea fans are spoiled.

Guest Stevie
For a manager who has had similar results to Mourinho he has got an awful lot of undeserved shit.

he has like , nobody expected them tobe in second place after the start jose got off to .

If Chelsea beat Man Utd which I think they will, they will be within 2 points of them, am I wrong in thinking that will mean he's made up 7 points during his reign, was the gap 9 under Jose?

If Chelsea beat Man Utd which I think they will, they will be within 2 points of them, am I wrong in thinking that will mean he's made up 7 points during his reign, was the gap 9 under Jose?

I think so, aye. It was something like that. The CL semis are as far as Mourinho ever got them too.

I think so, aye. It was something like that. The CL semis are as far as Mourinho ever got them too.

They weren't like. Level on points with Man United and two points behind Arsenal when he took over.

I have to say though. Had Mourinho done this interview, people would probably be hailing his comic genius.

Edited by Geordie Boot Boy

They weren't like. Level on points with Man United and two points behind Arsenal when he took over.

I have to say though. Had Mourinho done this interview, people would probably be hailing his comic genius.

Is that right? Fair enough as I honestly can't remember. I just seem to remember them having a poor start so assumed they were some way behind.

Is that right? Fair enough as I honestly can't remember. I just seem to remember them having a poor start so assumed they were some way behind.

Just going off this article I read yesterday:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle3761126.ece

i'd like to see chelsea win the champions league. i can't understand why he's getting such a hard time. it seems crazy that a manager with a great record would get the sack because he lacks the charisma of his predicessor - i can't see why else he would lose his job tbh.

i'd like to see chelsea win the champions league. i can't understand why he's getting such a hard time. it seems crazy that a manager with a great record would get the sack because he lacks the charisma of his predicessor - i can't see why else he would lose his job tbh.

I object to the fact that he pretty much got the job by whispering into the bosses ear that Mourinho's [winning] style was too boring and that he'd produce much more entertaining football, yet has he? Has he fuck. He's brought nowt to the table that Mourinho wouldn't have, except the entertainment of not winning a few games that I honestly think Mourinho would've won.

Man U had a dreadful start to the season tbf.

I'm hoping Barcelona win the CL. I'd hate to see any of the English teams win it. I hate all three of them.

I like Barca a lot, went this season to see them play Villareal- amazing watching such good players play the beautiful game. Even though they lost.

Personally, I want either Man United or Barca to win it. It's more because of Ferguson that I want Man U to win it. Not that I like him. I just like to see genuine talent rewarded, and I think it'd be almost a shame if he retired having only won the Euro Cup once. Plus, if he wins it, he's more likely to retire sooner and the inevitable Man United decline can set in. ;)

Man U had a dreadful start to the season tbf.

How come? Only two points off Arsenal who had a cracking start to the season.

I'm hoping Barcelona win the CL. I'd hate to see any of the English teams win it. I hate all three of them.

hmm , tough one , i think another trophy for one of our teams will help bring even more quality players to the league , i could stomach an english team winning if it means we get to watch the likes of kaka or messi in the prem .

Considering it was widely reported that Chelsea were going to do a media lock-down before and after the Everton game, these repsonses were hardly surprising..

hmm , tough one , i think another trophy for one of our teams will help bring even more quality players to the league , i could stomach an english team winning if it means we get to watch the likes of kaka or messi in the prem .

For one I can't see Barcelona letting messing go and I'd be surprised if Kaka left Milan too. And neither would be coming here anyway so it would be of no benefit to NUFC. I can watch them on telly anyway as it is.

And neither would be coming here anyway so it would be of no benefit to NUFC. I can watch them on telly anyway as it is.

How do you know? I reckon Kaka would be a decent replacement for Smith.

For one I can't see Barcelona letting messing go and I'd be surprised if Kaka left Milan too. And neither would be coming here anyway so it would be of no benefit to NUFC. I can watch them on telly anyway as it is.

How about my suggestion that Ferguson would be more likely to bring his retirement forward if they won it? I genuinely think that when he leaves, there's a good chance that they could lose their way a bit and possibly "do a Liverpool" after their sustained success ended. Although, the likelihood of them hiring Souness is quite low unfortunately. Bryan Robson maybe? ;)