Top 4 Concerns Keegan

wykikitoon

That bold bit suggest to me Mort is thinking long term, not short term.

Fair enough but to what level?

Theres nothing wrong with his words as long as the long term is combined with a short term bootstrap approach to get us to a level where we can sign Modric et al. That would need a large initial investment which he seems to be shying away from.

If the suggestion is that he wants to use an Arsenal approach to success in combining moderate outlay with youngster recruitment/development then again I don;t see anything wrong with that - I would however question the appointment of Keegan in that context.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say that 7th is a reasonable target for next season. The season after that go for 5th, then establish ourselves as the 5th club, not sharing with the likes of Everton and Spurs. Only then (barring implosions from the 4 above us) can we make genuine in-roads into the top 4.

I think Mort is saying, there's no point is gunning for the title next season, because we haven't the structure in place to support that bid.

I'd say that 7th is a reasonable target for next season. The season after that go for 5th, then establish ourselves as the 5th club, not sharing with the likes of Everton and Spurs. Only then (barring implosions from the 4 above us) can we make genuine in-roads into the top 4.

I think Mort is saying, there's no point is gunning for the title next season, because we haven't the structure in place to support that bid.

And it's always better to exceed expectations which is impossible if you say, "We're going to try and win it."

And it's always better to exceed expectations which is impossible if you say, "We're going to try and win it."

I concur.

The worst thing to say is we've got £xxxm to spend as this only serves to inflate any price of players you are bidding for.

That bold bit suggest to me Mort is thinking long term, not short term.

Fair enough but to what level?

Theres nothing wrong with his words as long as the long term is combined with a short term bootstrap approach to get us to a level where we can sign Modric et al. That would need a large initial investment which he seems to be shying away from.

If the suggestion is that he wants to use an Arsenal approach to success in combining moderate outlay with youngster recruitment/development then again I don;t see anything wrong with that - I would however question the appointment of Keegan in that context.

Large investments haven't worked in the past. The reason this club was in so much debt was because we kept throwing money at our managers and offering silly sums to attract players.

The league is shit nowadays, it's clear for all to see. Everton and Villa are fighting it out for 5th place and neither side has been anywhere near as consistant as they should be. The same goes for the teams in the bottom half of the table who would've been knee deep in relegation woe coming in to the last day of the season if it was any other year.

It's entirely possible to be frugal and still make significant inroads next season. When we get into that top 7 or 8 then I think we'll hoy substantial amounts of money about.

I don't for one minute see us having another "keeping the powder dry" summer but I think the signings we make will be well thought out and in positions we really need to strengthen.

the point in billionare owners is they can provide initial investment beyond the normall means of the club , then look to take that back once the investment is paying out , not to let the club run and just spend the TV money like every other team out there , i hate saying this but that would mean we are no better off than when under freddy *cringe*

Guest alex
the point in billionare owners is they can provide initial investment beyond the normall means of the club , then look to take that back once the investment is paying out , not to let the club run and just spend the TV money like every other team out there , i hate saying this but that would mean we are no better off than when under freddy *cringe*

Worth waiting to see what happens this summer 1st though.

Something the kids on crybabies online should do :)

ohh chroist aye , ive bee a firm backer of ashley from the start , the reasons i thought he bought the club for (marketing & branding) it would be pointless for him not to turn the club around .

we just all want to see the benefits of having a billionare owner really dont we ? to me thats extending ourselves beyond the tv money , someone who's going to invest in the club, aswell as put some turnover back in .

You talk about billionaire owners as if they were something brought by the FA in for the good of the game.

You talk about billionaire owners as if they were something brought by the FA in for the good of the game.

yeah pin that one on me !

i dont think im the only person out there that has come to the realisation that you need serious funding to compete in this league now . blame the glazers and roman , not me !

id prefer a cap on transfer spending for all teams tbh .

If you forget about how shit we were for most of this season, with a couple decent players I think we are better than anyone apart from maybe Spurs for 5th place.

And even they finished mid table

i dont think im the only person out there that has come to the realisation that you need serious funding to compete in this league now . blame the glazers and roman , not me !

I'm not blaming you, your tone was just weird.

A cap on transfer fees wouldn't work unless it was something astronomical such as £50 million, a cap on wages would be more effective.

Maybe an MLS style Roster?

KK wouldn't have came back if he wasn't planning on mounting a challenge for the title in his time here, he's not a runner up, well doesn't want to be anyway.

All smoke and mirrors what people are reading into too much imo.

Maybe an MLS style Roster?

I think something more along the lines of the NFL and their Salary cap would be better suited for the league. Doesn't the MLS have a standard salary structure except for one player (i.e. Beckham or Juan Pablo Angel)?

NFL Salary Cap FAQ

what worries me is the fact man u win everything and still spend 50+mill each year .

this summer they are going to take micah if reports are tobe belived , and probably a few other players under 25 for 15+ millions each

I don't see much wrong in what KK and Mort are saying really. They're both saying we can't crack the top 4 yet, and we can't, everyone is a good distance from that and since they're in the CL every year they get ever richer and more attractive to the best players.

Below that Keegan will have us back challenging for 5th with Spurs, Everton and possibly Villa and seeing how that goes he'll have a bloody go at the top 4 whether he or can't quite manage it, time will tell.

The owner/chairman have shown with the bid for Modric they will spend, its not their fault he chose less money from Spurs. So the people on here (well person) slating them and praising Fat Fred, seem to forget firstly Ashley cleared the debt and it was easy for Fatty to back the managers when he was building up debt and secondly the reason Spurs were more attractive than us are down to Fat Fred's managerial choices turning us into a lower midtable team with no place in europe. I wish he hadn't but i think Modric can be applauded if he did turn down more money to go where he thinks he'll do better at this point in time.

But if anyone can talk people into his vision its Keegan, and lets hope he pulls a big singing out of nowhere like he used to and gets the ball rolling.

While I think its a big positive that we are debt free, I also think LM has a point in saying that there was nothing fundamentally wrong in the way FS had no problem speculating to accumulate by going into debt (though I think now its obvious he went too far).

Again what Mort has said about not doing a Leeds is correct but in the absence of Ashley playing the billionaire card we all hoped he would I still think money should be spent. Many have mentioned the new TV money and I see that as a starting point which either provides a good base or reduces the money Ashley himself has to spend depending on how you look at it.