Top 4 Concerns Keegan

wykikitoon

Newcastle boss Kevin Keegan fears the domination of the Premier League's top four is a threat to the top flight.

Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool will again head the division for the third season running as they leave the rest trailing in their wake.

"Maybe the owner thinks we can bridge that gap - but we can't," said Keegan after Monday's 2-0 loss to Chelsea.

"This league is in danger of becoming one of the most boring but great leagues in the world."

Keegan replaced Sam Allardyce at St James' Park in January and his comments will have extra resonance as he is renowned as one of the game's eternal optimists.

He feels fifth is the best the clubs outside the 'big four' can realistically aim for - even with plenty of funds.

"The top four next year will be the same top four as this year," he added.

"What I can say to the Newcastle fans is that we will be trying to get fifth and we will be trying to win the other league that's going on within the Premier League.

"I haven't got enough money and I wouldn't be able to get the players anyway (to do any better than that), so I will soldier on with what I've got and maybe add one or two, maybe three, depending what's available."

Keegan turned Newcastle into title contenders when he managed them from February 1992 until January 1997 but he feels it is not possible to do the same again.

His opinion was reinforced during the Bank Holiday game against Chelsea, who clinched the win to move level on points with Manchester United at the top of the table ahead of the final game of the season.

"I thought, 'What can I do next year to get near them' and the truth is there's nothing I can do at all," stated Keegan.

"I was looking around thinking, 'who can I bring on' and I'm seeing (Andriy) Shevchenko and (Frank) Lampard coming on and Joe Cole thinking about coming on."

Keegan has, however, been promised funds to attract big-name signings.

"Over the summer, we will look to strengthen the squad further," said chairman Chris Mort.

"In addition to immediate fixes, we will want to acquire players that can help make Newcastle United a top team for the medium and long term."

Newcastle have already missed out on the signing of midfielder Luka Modric, who rejected a lucrative offer to join Tottenham instead, just as Jonathan Woodgate did in January.

But Mort is confident that Newcastle are heading in the right direction and that they will soon be in a position to attract player's like the 22-year-old Croatian international.

"It is frustrating that Modric, like Woodgate before him, should take less money than we offered to move to the bright lights of London and European football with Tottenham next season," conceded Mort.

"But these are the sorts of difficulties that should get easier to address once we build a squad that competes at the right end of the table."

And Keegan is positive he will get the funds he needs from owner Mike Ashley to improve his squad, saying: "I have no proof of that yet but I have no doubts he will (back me).

"If I can get three or four players in to add to what I have got here - and we have that bit of luck you need with no injuries to key players - then we might be able to win the second division of the Premier League."

Taken from BBC Webby

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We need to spend big just to keep up with Villa,Spurs,Blackburn etc. I`m sure Villa & Spurs will be splashin the cash over the summer and with Spurs having European football and the lure of London we are going to have to sell the club to most players and with KK not being involved in transfer dealings his passion and vision for the club may not be fully communicated in the transfer process, which is worrying

If Mike gives him a budget of say £100m plus whatever he generated from sales of existing players would definately be a step in the right direction, we need quality as well as quantity and £100m, although a lot of money, wont stretch a hell of a long way, nowhere near enough to be competing with Man U & Chelsea although I wouldnt rule out top 4 if Scousers and the Arse struggle a bit

We need at least 4 world class players plus 3 or 4 decent back up players but with KK saying he will soldier on and make maybe 2 or 3 signings then top half would be a result considering some of the dross we have at the moment

He's telling it how it is, as usual with our Kev.

Maybe so, but when XXXL Sam told it how it was he was slated on here.

Personally I agree with Kev and don't think we have a chance of breaking into the top 4 next season, but by coming out and saying it to the press isn't going to help us sign top class players is it.

Just smacks of negativity to me. What's the point in entering a competition if you don't think you have any chance of winning? :)

Did anyone expect us to break into the top 4? The comments just provide ammo to the 'deluded' taunts we get. Maybe Ashley wants it, but surely not next year.

One step at a time, survival this year, Uefa cup next year, Champions league the following year, title in Keegans last year. :)

definitely a plea for funds from ashley and an attempt to lower our expectations for next season, not a bad thing.

the biggest problem is going to be finding players of a good enough ability that will want to come here.

Edited by Dr Gloom

Guest alex
definitely a plea for funds from ashley and an attempt to lower our expectations for next season, not a bad thing.

Aye, that's what I thought too.

Aye, that's what I thought too.

Yup, me too.

Definitely. Starting with the calibre of players we can attract. I know its KK, but I think many fans need to remember where we are and what we can offer at this moment. We are more likely to be picking up top 4-6 cast offs and the odd unknown that we are players who can/are play in the CL etc. We need to lower our expectations of the player quality and where we will be next season.

I think Im being reasonable though in aiming for top 8 and hopefully getting into Europe depending on how the cups go, unlike this season meaning only 5th gets in.

Guest alex
It seems at the moment that Ashley isn't anywhere near as ambitious as Abramovich. More sensible perhaps, but not as hardcore.

Nowhere near as wealthy either, in fairness.

It seems at the moment that Ashley isn't anywhere near as ambitious as Abramovich. More sensible perhaps, but not as hardcore.

Yeah...there's that! :)

It's still only a relatively small percentage of his income though and there's all the sky money.

Fuck it, I just hoped we were going to become the club that everyone hated. :crylaughin::icon_lol:

Better than Shepherd (?) build up sensibly. No single trophy signings.

Guest alex

One thing I will say - how much (net) of his own money did Shepherd put into NUFC? Because people are expecting Ashley to pour his own money in.

On re-reading his comments I'm disappointed that he did say "in my time here" meaning in the 3 years. Next year fair enough but I'd be diappointed if we weren't getting closer to doing it after 3 years.

I agree he's trying to nudge Ashley as well though.

Abramovich loves football. He's spent millions in Russia setting up academies and getting kids playing the game, he helped CSKA to winning the UEFA cup, he was instumental in getting Hiddink in for the Russian national team, and then there's what he's done at Chelsea.

Ashley might be enjoying himself, but I think it's clear he has no interest in being so altruistic. It's just another gamble to Ashley if you ask me, far more of a plaything than Abramovich who loved the game long before coming to England. Ashley only worries that England didn't get into the Euro's because Umbro shirt sales won't get the normal summer boost.

Glad to have him here, but I don't think the comparisons are entirely accurate. Of course Abramovich's love of the game brings it's own problems, he has a strong opinion on the footballing direction of his club so you get situations like the Shevchenko purchase and Grant's coup d'etat for example.

One thing I will say - how much (net) of his own money did Shepherd put into NUFC? Because people are expecting Ashley to pour his own money in.

Aye, you're right they are, and he didn't.

Abramovich loves football. He's spent millions in Russia setting up academies and getting kids playing the game, he helped CSKA to winning the UEFA cup, he was instumental in getting Hiddink in for the Russian national team, and then there's what he's done at Chelsea.

Ashley might be enjoying himself, but I think it's clear he has no interest in being so altruistic. It's just another gamble to Ashley if you ask me, far more of a plaything than Abramovich who loved the game long before coming to England. Ashley only worries that England didn't get into the Euro's because Umbro shirt sales won't get the normal summer boost.

Glad to have him here, but I don't think the comparisons are entirely accurate. Of course Abramovich's love of the game brings it's own problems, he has a strong opinion on the footballing direction of his club so you get situations like the Shevchenko purchase and Grant's coup d'etat for example.

Excellent appraisal of Roman.

Whilst I don't know whether or how much Abramovich loves the game, a lot of the work he has done in Russia has been because of political pressures on him. He simply couldn't be seen to be pumping millions into Chelsea while ignoring his homeland, he had to do something over there.

Edited by ewerk

Whilst I don't know whether or how much Abramovich loves the game, a lot of the work he has done in Russia has been because of political pressures on him. He simply couldn't be seen to be pumping millions into Chelsea while ignoring his homeland, he had to do something over there.

His main concern when he builds a new yacht is the plasma screens and how much footie he can consume from around the world. He really loves the game.