Newcastle enter Veloso chase

Scottish Mag

Newcastle United are understood to have entered the chase to sign Sporting star Miguel Veloso.

The highly-rated Portugal international has previously been linked with Manchester United and Tottenham but reports in his homeland claim Newcastle are the only club to make a firm approach for his services.

Sporting chief Filipe Soares Franco is extremely reluctant to allow the classy midfielder to leave and fresh terms are on the table in Lisbon.

However, sources suggest Newcastle are willing to offer around €20 million (around £15 million) for Veloso, with a five-year contract ready to be drawn up at St James' Park.

Sporting have previously suggested they would not sell for less than €30 million (£23.5 million) so any deal could still be a long way off.

Newcastle watched the 21-year-old in action during the Uefa Cup tie with Rangers at Ibrox and were impressed with his performance.

Nevertheless, manager Kevin Keegan has admitted it is difficult to persuade his targets to head for Tyneside with Luka Modric recently opting for Tottenham instead despite a more lucrative deal being tabled by The Magpies.

Keegan is to hold crunch talks with owner Mike Ashley after his recent comments about the harsh reality of the situation at the club amid reports that Dennis Wise and Tony Jimenez's thoughts on the transfer market differ to those of the manager.

Guest Stevie
Could turn out to be better than Modric!!! Or could be another Viana

I tell you who I think is better than Modric, and we'd get him at half the price, that man is Andrey Arshavin.

Modric is a prospect and as soon as he is any decent he will be wearing a Manchester United/Chelsea/Arsenal shirt.

Arshavin is proven and good on FM :lol:

Could turn out to be better than Modric!!! Or could be another Viana

I tell you who I think is better than Modric, and we'd get him at half the price, that man is Andrey Arshavin.

Fully agree with you there mate. Seen Arshavin play a fair few times on he's been quality every time.

more of a essien or hargreaves than a modric .

but spurs will get him if they want him , altho its heavily reported he'd always end up at manure , sportings like a feeder club for them !

I think he's physically a bit stronger, and doesn't bottle tackles. But, yeah, similar sort of player. I saw him in the U-21 tournament in the summer, and he and Drenthe were the best players there by a mile.

Anyway, as Hadrian says, I'd say he'll be off to a CL level team. Man U are linked with him every few weeks.

Manchester United target Miguel Veloso has handed Sir Alex Ferguson a major boost by admitting he wants a move to Old Trafford.

The Sporting Lisbon midfielder has drawn the attention of a number of top European clubs, including Real Madrid and Inter Milan.

However, United have first refusal on the 21-year-old, who is keen to join up with fellow Portugal internationals Cristiano Ronaldo and Nani.

Veloso, who played for Sporting in last night's 2-1 Champions League defeat against United, said: "It's normal that I want to progress and even more so as I am young.

"If a great offer came from England it would be impossible to turn it down, but for now my head is 100 per cent focussed on Sporting.

"Yet I'm not going to hide the fact that playing alongside Cristiano and Nani is one of my dreams."

Reports suggest a deal could be done as early as January, with the player valued at around £17 million.

Ferguson is determined not to lose out on one of the most talked-about young players in Europe, although talks between both parties have yet to begin.

United assistant coach Carlos Queiroz said: "It is impossible to ignore good players and we are following the evolution of some top players. One is Veloso. He would be hard to ignore

"Big clubs such as Manchester United, Barcelona and Arsenal have a scouting system that looks at players throughout the year.

"Players like Miguel Veloso, Joao Moutinho, Ricardo Quaresma, Bosingwa or Bruno Alves are on the list."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtm...fnveloso128.xml

Edited by Happy Face

Manchester United target Miguel Veloso has handed Sir Alex Ferguson a major boost by admitting he wants a move to Old Trafford.

The Sporting Lisbon midfielder has drawn the attention of a number of top European clubs, including Real Madrid and Inter Milan.

However, United have first refusal on the 21-year-old, who is keen to join up with fellow Portugal internationals Cristiano Ronaldo and Nani.

Veloso, who played for Sporting in last night's 2-1 Champions League defeat against United, said: "It's normal that I want to progress and even more so as I am young.

"If a great offer came from England it would be impossible to turn it down, but for now my head is 100 per cent focussed on Sporting.

"Yet I'm not going to hide the fact that playing alongside Cristiano and Nani is one of my dreams."

Reports suggest a deal could be done as early as January, with the player valued at around £17 million.

Ferguson is determined not to lose out on one of the most talked-about young players in Europe, although talks between both parties have yet to begin.

United assistant coach Carlos Queiroz said: "It is impossible to ignore good players and we are following the evolution of some top players. One is Veloso. He would be hard to ignore

"Big clubs such as Manchester United, Barcelona and Arsenal have a scouting system that looks at players throughout the year.

"Players like Miguel Veloso, Joao Moutinho, Ricardo Quaresma, Bosingwa or Bruno Alves are on the list."

From late November 2007.

Latest suggests we might be in for him. Although I'm not going to say it's likely we'll sign him, it isn't as hopeless as the above article which is dated suggests.

Guest Patrokles

From late November 2007.

Latest suggests we might be in for him. Although I'm not going to say it's likely we'll sign him, it isn't as hopeless as the above article which is dated suggests.

yes it is.

Barcelona, Manchester United, Real Madrid, ... or Newcastle? :lol: Not happening.

He`s a foreigner..........................can`t happen....................might ruffle up the gene pool for heaven sake!

Get a grip! :lol:

Barcelona, Manchester United, Real Madrid, ... or Newcastle? :lol: Not happening.

He`s a foreigner..........................can`t happen....................might ruffle up the gene pool for heaven sake!

Get a grip! :lol:

RED20BIN.jpg

Haven't you got anything better to do?

Classy player. Sort of like Pirlo, in that he creates from deep, taking the ball off the back 4. Has a great free kick on him too.

sounds just like viana tbf

Classy player. Sort of like Pirlo, in that he creates from deep, taking the ball off the back 4. Has a great free kick on him too.

sounds just like viana tbf

similar player for sure, but unlike Viana he's not a raving pussy