Ashton?

Craig

from .COM

While an ever-expanding list of continental strikers are being linked with the club, Newcastle are understood to have made two separate recent enquiries to West Ham about their England striker Dean Ashton.

The 24 year-old native of Swindon is perhaps the closest thing in the Premier League currently to Mark Viduka - albeit significantly younger and fitter.

Ashton is in discussions with the club he joined in 2006 over a new contract, despite his current Hammers deal running through to 2010.

Significant investment would be required both in terms of transfer fee and wages to tempt Ashton though, with a possible bidding war involving various Premier League clubs were he to signal his willingness to seek pastures new.

It remains to be seen whether Alan Curbishley could be persuaded to add to a stable of former Magpies that currently includes messrs Bowyer, Parker, Bellamy and Dyer - although a certain sulky French midfielder is alleged to be desperate to pay congestion charges....

This is by no means the first time that Ashton has been the subject of SJP transfer speculation, with our rumour records linking him in May 2001, October 2002, June, July & October 2006 February 2007 and January 2008.

It was back in 2001 that United were represented at York's Bootham Crescent as Ashton (then at Crewe) netted twice for England U19s in a 4-1 win over Georgia, partnered up front to good effect by Michael Chopra.

Update: Wednesday's tabloids claim Ashton has agreed but not signed a new 5 year deal to remain at the Boleyn.

PS: Nobby Solano is deliberately excluded from that ex- Mags list after it was confirmed that no new contract had been offered to him by West Ham.

Solano on a free... I actually thought he'd done a decent job for them last season.

Can see him heading to Fulham tbh

He wouldn't come though would he? Specifically asked for a move to London to be near his kids.

Fulham or a drop into the Championship seems his only viable options at the moment...

Has a few Shearer-like qualities in my opinion.

Personally don't think he plays anything like Shearer. I see what you mean about being big, strong etc though

Personally don't think he plays anything like Shearer. I see what you mean about being big, strong etc though

He can't hold a candle to Shearer, but in terms of his hold-up play and upper body strength, he reminds me of Shearer.

He can't hold a candle to Shearer, but in terms of his hold-up play and upper body strength, he reminds me of Shearer.

He combines elements of both Shearer and Sheringham.

Ashton NO Solano NO.

bloody hell parky man you're going through an obstructive faze aren't ya :D

:nah:

You think Ashton is KK's idea??

Edited by Park Life

Ashton NO Solano NO.

I do, proven premiership player?

Ashton NO Solano NO.

I do, proven premiership player?

with a style similar to a good player who is on his way to retiring (viduka)

I'd be quite happy with ashton