Sunday's Gossip

Jimbo

Newcastle poised for Given departure

ARSENE'S GUNNER GET SHAY

by GEOFF SWEET

ARSENAL are tracking Newcastle keeper Shay Given and are ready to end his 11-year love affair with the north-east.

Rozehnal set to ditch Premiership for Italy

DAVID: I'M LEAVING TOON

NEWCASTLE defender David Rozehnal is being offered an escape route out of St James' Park by Italian sides Siena and Genoa.

Toon boss lines up bid for Spurs defender

KING KEV ON GARD

NEWCASTLE are ready to make a surprise move for Tottenham defender Anthony Gardner.

Toon boss Kevin Keegan has turned to the former Port Vale man as pay talks with local boy Steven Taylor continue to stall.

Toon star heading for Fenerbahce

EMRE TALKS TURKEY

NEWCASTLE star Emre is to join Fenerbahce.

The Turkey midfielder, 27, will sign an £8million deal tomorrow after agreeing a three-year contract with the Istanbul club.

Wouldn't be too upset to see Given, Rozy and Emre go providing the money was right.

Shay will never be the same or completely injury-free after the Harewood incident and Harper did great towards the end of the season. We've also got Krul, the big lad from the reserves (Fraser something) and are linked with Westwood from Carlisle.

Pretty sure we only paid £4m for Emre so I'd be more than happy with double that.

Unimpressed with Gardner, isn't he always injured too.

Sir Alex Ferguson has desperately been trying to speak to Cristiano Ronaldo while on holiday in France but the Manchester United winger will not answer his manager's calls, increasing Ferguson's fears that the winger will join Real Madrid. (News of the Word)

Sources close to the Manchester United boss have ridiculed reports that he has been barred from a private meeting with Ronaldo, insisting Ferguson never had plans to break his family holiday. (Mail on Sunday)

Jose Mourinho has made Liverpool midfielder Steven Gerrard a £30m summer target but the Inter Milan boss has been told he would be wasting his time making an official bid. (News of the World)

Mourinho has plenty of other options with Blackburn winger David Bentley joining Chelsea's Ashley Cole, Frank Lampard and Ricardo Carvalho on his wish list. (News of the World)

Barcelona midfielder Deco is poised to sign for Chelsea in a £15m deal that is likely to clear the way for Frank Lampard to leave Stamford Bridge for Inter. (Mail on Sunday)

Robin van Persie will consider his future if any more stars are allowed to leave Arsenal, saying he wants assurances that no-one else will leave before he signs a new deal. (News of the World)

There is some good news for Gunners boss Arsene Wenger however as Arsenal edged closer to signing £5m Aaron Ramsey after Cardiff City's teenager met Wenger in Switzerland on Saturday. (News of the World)

Newcastle are planning to sack jailed £55,000-a-week midfielder Joey Barton unless he agrees to a 50% pay cut. (Mail on Sunday)

Liverpool's owners have told manager Rafael Benitez that striker Peter Crouch can leave the club for £10m. (News of the World)

Manchester City manager Mark Hughes has been promised up to £200m over three years and a chunk of that money looks certain to bring Barcelona's Ronaldinho to Eastlands. (News of the World)

Arsenal are lining up a £3.5m bid for Newcastle goalkeeper Shay Given. (News of the World)

Louis Saha is set to be offered as bait in Manchester United's bid to land Blackburn striker Roque Santa Cruz with the France striker being used as a makeweight in a £10m transfer. (News of the World)

But Arsenal are ready to make a £12m bid for the Blackburn striker as they prepare to lose Emmanuel Adebayor to Milan for £30m. (Mail on Sunday)

Rangers are to offer £3m in cash for Middlesbrough's England Under-21 winger Adam Johnson. (News of the World)

QPR's Iain Dowie has been given the go-ahead to sign three strikers with West Brom's Kevin Phillips, Bobby Zamora of West Ham and Wolves star Freddy Eastwood his targets. (News of the World)

Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp has made a £2m bid for Celtic defender Lee Naylor. (News of the World)

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley has been advised by his key aides to drop Kevin Keegan and appoint Dick Advocaat as his new manager. (Sunday Express)

Alan Shearer is emerging as the fans' choice to become the new boss at Blackburn after a powerful fans' lobby want their former striker to replace Mark Hughes. (News of the World)

Manchester United's number two Carlos Queiroz is being lined up as the new boss of French club Lyon. (News of the World)

Manchester City's new executive chairman Garry Cook is already resigned to losing Mark Hughes as manager if Manchester United come calling. (The Sunday Telegraph)

Sunderland striker Kenwyne Jones has been told he is no Didier Drogba by team-mate Dwight Yorke who fears the hype surrounding the Liverpool target could damage his progress. (Sunday Express)

Dutch supporters at Euro 2008 have been warned that some of their orange wigs could be a fire hazard. The Dutch Food and Goods Authority said that about 30% of the wigs and boas worn by Holland fans could catch fire when near a cigarette or a lighter. (The Sunday Times)

Shay will never be the same or completely injury-free after the Harewood incident and Harper did great towards the end of the season. We've also got Krul, the big lad from the reserves (Fraser something) and are linked with Westwood from Carlisle.

shay's injuries lately have bugger all to do with the harewood incident sure

the fact arsenal want him should tell you something

Good keepers are hard to get we have the 2nd best one in the league

we'll see how happy ya are after he leaves then and we've some shitter between the sticks

Utter fucking bollocks

shay's injuries lately have bugger all to do with the harewood incident sure

the fact arsenal want him should tell you something

Good keepers are hard to get we have the 2nd best one in the league

we'll see how happy ya are after he leaves then and we've some shitter between the sticks

Utter fucking bollocks

Yep.

I used to think *that* highly of him but he has never been the same after the harewood foul.

Perhaps we are writing him off too easily but if Harper doesn't get the nod to start the new season then Shay shouldn't really complain.

I'd still have him over the majority of keepers eg Green, Reina, Carson, Roboo etc

Edited by Holden McGroin

For £3.5m I wouldn't be shoving him out the door, 31 is hardly old for a goalkeeper. Based on what I saw last season I'd say Harper was the better of the two and deserves to be the in team ahead of Shay despite what his one man fan club above might say.

Edited by ewerk

I'd be sad to see Given go, but I don't think he's been the same since the Harewood injury. He's still a great keeper, but he gets injured much more now, and I think when Harper gets a run in the team, he shows that he's just as good. I think if Harper had been playing regularly down the years, he'd be an England regular. If Given does go, I wish him well and I'd be happy with Harper as our first choice.

from the bun

NEWCASTLE are poised to make a £7 million bid for Atletico Madrid’s ex-Arsenal winger Jose Antonio Reyes, according to Spanish sources.

And United are eyeing Valencia’s talented young centre-back Alexis, with left-back Jose Enrique possibly returning to Spain in part-exchange.

But Barcelona striker Eidur Gudjohnsen is NOT bound for Tyneside.

Reyes’ career is at a crossroads after an unimpressive first full season back in Spain — the 24-year-old failed to score in 26 appearances for Atletico — since leaving Arsenal last summer for £8m.

But while Reyes’ failure to settle in London after his arrival from Sevilla in 2004 places massive question marks over any move to Newcastle, the Magpies are also eyeing 21-year-old Alexis.

The former Getafe starlet is well known to United’s head of player recruitment Jeff Vetere, who recommended that Real Madrid sign him last summer.

Meanwhile, the Sunday Sun can confirm that Newcastle are not the English club trying to lure former Chelsea star Gudjhonsen back to the Premier League.

But back in Spain, confusion reigns over the Magpies’ planned pre-season trip to Majorca.

While United believe that the four- team tournament — featuring themselves, Real Mallorca, Hertha Berlin and Hannover — will take place on August 1-3, the German clubs have been told otherwise.

“We heard that the first game was on July 31 and that the competition finishes on August 2,” Hannover spokesman Bernd Reiser told the Sunday Sun.

“There’s confusion. It’s still not sure which game will happen when.”

Wide of the mark by tuesday then :icon_lol:

Fucking media piss me off with there constant 'Ashley needs to get rid of Keegan' and 'Keegan to walk', wankers.

I reckon its because they're not getting the constant drip-feed of information they got from 'the club insider' during the Shepherd era.

The very notion that Dick Advocaat would ever want to come to Newcastle having just won the UEFA Cup with Zenit... :icon_lol:

ehh ? id imagine he would jump at it , hardly setting the world alight the league he's managing in atm is it .

not that id want the guy , couldnt stand him when he was at rangers .