Toon stars are told to pay for their club suits

Scottish Mag

THE Newcastle United players will have to dig into their deep pockets and pay for their club suits in the new season.

This is one of the decisions being made by Mike Ashley as the club owner tries to cut costs at St James’s Park.

The players have yet to be informed of the decision, confirmed by a club insider, and some of them may not be happy at the move.

And certainly this is an innovation as far as football clubs are concerned and it will be a talking point in the game.

But Ashley will not care about that as he tries to make his club a more viable proposition.

Indeed, the United owner will be hero in the eyes of some supporters, even though his decision will raise an eyebrow or two up and down the country.

However, it is unlikely that any United player will go public and complain about it, and there will not be a peep from the £3m a year men – and there are plenty of them at St James’s Park.

Hang on, two things here. Would a £30K a week footballer be arsed about having to buy a £1K suit? Also, would MA think this move would make such a big difference to the bottom line?

Hang on, two things here. Would a £30K a week footballer be arsed about having to buy a £1K suit? Also, would MA think this move would make such a big difference to the bottom line?

Ashley also likes to keep costs on his employees down. In March 2007 he closed his Dunstable warehouse and moved everything north to Shirebrook where employees are paid less. Sports World is also selective in what it pays to its staff for example, staff who are over eighteen earn £4.60 an hour whereas other staff who are the same age can earn up to £5.75 an hour. Furthermore the vast majority of store employees work at least an extra half hour at the end of their shift in order to tidy up the shop without pay, which inevitably reduces staff overheads significantly. Not only that full time employees work 50 hours a week, minimum.

Staffs purchases and discount are restricted by availability only Thursday.

every penny counts :)

Edited by Hadrian

Surprised the tight fisted bastard hasn't gotten his 1p a day workers in the far east to knock up some Lonsdale or Dunlop suits, he's missing a trick here cos then he could sell them in his Sports Direct shops so fans could have the official NUFC suits!!

why the fuck is this even being reported? :)

Either way the club is paying for them, it's just a case of when they're coming out of the players wages...

Pud, correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the club buying the each of the players a suit every year be considered as a taxable benefit?

Pud, correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the club buying the each of the players a suit every year be considered as a taxable benefit?

Yup, if it's not totally for work purposes then yes it would be, unless it has the club crest on it, in which case it probably wouldn't be.

If true this does really sound like penny-pinching.

Don't think I've ever seen anyone wearing a suit with the club crest on it. Fergie did for Man Utd and Mourinho did for Chelsea but have you seen it at SJP?

This is a nothing story though,

currently the players have to pay for their own match shirts, if one gets damaged or they swap/ throw it into the crowd they have to personally buy another one.

Do Liverpool players not have to steal their own?

If they've got an ounce of humility about them they probably dispensed with club suits after this debacle:

E28C2424-C673-ED21-42362A634547AB04.jpg

Good suits though............bit too stylish for English footie perhaps!

If they've got an ounce of humility about them they probably dispensed with club suits after this debacle:

:lol:;);)

You're kidding right? They're awful suits!

I thought they were awful at the time......................but I must confess to having bought something similar lately. They can be nice given the right occasion. But they were really embarrassing that day for sure.

Very "our man in Panama".