Keegan will try to tempt Lennon

Scottish Mag

KEVIN Keegan returns to work this morning looking to kick-start Newcastle’s summer recruitment programme as the Magpies close in on Tottenham winger Aaron Lennon.

But United’s manager could have a frustrating day at the office as long-term targets, Turkey’s attacking midfielder Arda and Russia’s Andrei Arshavin, are still no closer to coming to St James’s Park.

Having missed out on Croatian midfielder Luka Modric back in May when the youngster elected to join Tottenham Hotspur, Keegan is desperate to bring more creativity to his midfield and believes Arda and Arshavin have the qualities needed to spark his new-look side into life. However, Modric’s arrival at Spurs should enable him to lure England international Lennon to the North East, which in turn would allow him to sell James Milner, with Aston Villa and Liverpool both interested in the hard-working winger.

While United are also on the look-out for two full-backs and a centre-back, Keegan knows his plans for free-flowing attacking football hinge on his pursuit of a playmaker and he will be annoyed that United failed to land either Arda or Arshavin before the start of Euro 2008.

Both players have enjoyed impressive tournaments and have attracted interest from clubs across Europe. Should Arsenal follow up their interest in either player, Keegan will almost certainly fail to win the battle to sign them as he cannot compete with the Gunners in terms of the Champions League football they can offer them.

It also remains to be seen whether Newcastle have the financial clout to land such highly-rated players with Galatasaray believed to have raised the asking price for Arda to £15m, while Zenit St Petersburg are rumoured to be seeking as much as £20m for Arshavin after he helped guide Russia into the semi-finals of Euro 2008. The capture of Lennon would appear to be a safer bet. The former Leeds United prospect has lost his way at White Hart Lane and needs a fresh challenge.

Lennon, still only 21, was regarded as one of the most exciting young players in Europe just two years ago following several eye-catching cameos during England’s World Cup campaign in Germany.

And Keegan believes he is capable of rediscovering that sort of form if he comes to Tyneside. A bid of around £6m should be enough to persuade Spurs boss Juande Ramos to sell. Meanwhile, Steven Taylor is close to agreeing a new four-year contract at St James’s Park following a series of meetings with Newcastle’s executive director (football) Dennis Wise and head of recruitment Tony Jimenez.

Much has been made in some quarters of Keegan’s absence from the contract meetings with Taylor and Newcastle skipper Michael Owen, but there is nothing unusual in this. Wise and Jimenez are employed precisely for this type of duty and, although there have been tensions in the past between the Taylor camp and the club, the relationship is now said to be cordial. Taylor is one of the lowest paid members of the senior squad at St James’s Park and fully deserves a new contract to remedy that considering his importance to the side over the last two years.

However, the club were initially angered by Taylor’s demands he be put among the top earners at the club on more than £60,000 a week – an inflated figure for a defender who is only 22 and has much to learn before he can consider himself a top Premier League centre-back. The Journal understands a compromise has almost been reached which will see the most successful product of the club’s youth system in recent years earn a basic £25,000 a week.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember when Arshavin said...

"Of course I would like to play in England, in Russia as well as England they are talking about Newcastle being interested in me and there has been no concrete offer. In principle if they made an offer I would be interested."

If only we'd made that move in January.

:icon_lol:

Roeder passing on Kuyt pales by comparison.

Wise hasn't landed one single target on KK's list at this point, according to my sleuth work anyway.

We first inquired about Arshavin last winter and we were in touch with Arda's people as long ago as a month, but it hasn't gone any further than that.

Now it looks like we're competing with bigger tank divisions and are probably out of it for these two.

It looks like we'll make a move for Lennon.

Wise hasn't landed one single target on KK's list at this point, according to my sleuth work anyway.

We first inquired about Arshavin last winter and we were in touch with Arda's people as long ago as a month, but it hasn't gone any further than that.

Now it looks like we're competing with bigger tank divisions and are probably out of it for these two.

Fantastic sleuthery to work out Keegan didn't have Zamblera top of his list.

Fantastic sleuthery to work out Keegan didn't have Zamblera top of his list.

From a good source btw. Wise hasn't landed anyone at this point. Hopefully KK is going to start working the magic this week.

In all honesty if Spurs manage to land Villa (not that I think they will), maybe Ashley should just buy them and use us as a feeder club for them. :icon_lol:

Just I can't see us doing that well if Spurs rejects are the pinnacle of our abilities (and I'm not sure if Lennon is really any better than Milner in the end - just different strengths and weaknesses), and I feel it's a bit of a waste of Keegan if we do.

I think Lennon could be a good signing personally, but his delivery needs to improve. He was still very impressive when he first played for England a couple of years ago and would be very happy for him to play here if he could so that again.

I think Lennon could be a good signing personally, but his delivery needs to improve. He was still very impressive when he first played for England a couple of years ago and would be very happy for him to play here if he could so that again.

There are a lot of good things about Lennon compared to Milner, he goes past players for one.

As a more general signing, yup (although £6m seems pretty low for him as well).

Just saying if he's going to be top draw for this summer, not sure we're going to be seeing that much progress next season.

This is of course assuming he'll come. :icon_lol:

I'd welcome Lennon.

The lack of pace in our midfield is a problem he would solve. Even our younger midfielders run like they've been in an Austrian dungeon half their life.

I would agree with this. I think Lennon would be a good signing.

People say he hasn't progressed at Spurs but he seems to have been stuck out on the left quite a bit too.

We've been crying out for some more pace in the team for some time now, it has to be said. I quite like Lennon as well. Lack of end product is a problem though.

I would be happy with Lennon because I think he is better than Milner. On another note I was getting increasingly anxious about our lack of transfer acitivity then realised apart from Spurs (where are they getting all this cash from?) we are not making any less actual signings than most other clubs. I Think.

Another Dyer in that he has pace but no end product?

They're similar types of player with the main difference being Dyer was more comfortable in the middle and Lennon is better as a wide man. And despite Dyer never living up to his early hype he played in some good Toon sides and we were generally a better team when he played. Lennon might give us that extra dimension which Dyer did on many occasions.

Another Dyer in that he has pace but no end product?

They're similar types of player with the main difference being Dyer was more comfortable in the middle and Lennon is better as a wide man. And despite Dyer never living up to his early hype he played in some good Toon sides and we were generally a better team when he played. Lennon might give us that extra dimension which Dyer did on many occasions.

The other difference is you can't imagine Dyer taking a pay cut to guarantee a move like Lennon did going to Spurs.

We've been crying out for some more pace in the team for some time now, it has to be said. I quite like Lennon as well. Lack of end product is a problem though.

This "lack of end product" malarky sounds like a self-fulfilling prophecy. Perfect players are very rare.

I wouldn't mind someone like Lennon who might disappoint with his end product often enough, but who can make up for it with other attributes. He'll generally unsettle defences with his pace and win freekicks with his dribblings that only can get stopped by foul.

Edited by Isegrim

This "lack of end product" malarky sounds too like a self-fulfilling prophecy. Perfect players are very rare.

I wouldn't mind someone like Lennon who might disappoint with his end product often enough, but who can make up for it with other attributes. He'll generally unsettle defences with his pace and win freekicks with his dribblings that only can get stopped by foul.

Yep.

Bellamy and Dyer (at his best) had no end product at all, but their pace scared the shit out of defences and made a lot of space for Shearer. Owen would benefit from those kinds of clever runs from the likes of Lennon.

ENGLAND winger Aaron Lennon would jump at the chance to join Newcastle United – but only if Tottenham Hotspur are willing to sell him.

And at the moment there is no indication that White Hart Lane boss Juande Ramos is ready to sell the 21-year-old winger.

There is a list of players Spurs are ready to let go – but Lennon is not thought to be on it.

But he is on Kevin Keegan’s shopping list, and I am told that United’s recruitment duo of Dennis Wise and Tony Jimenez are also keen on the idea.

However, while Keegan woke up to headlines yesterday suggesting Lennon was on his way to St James’s Park, any deal is still a long way off.

Top London agent Leon Angel represents both Lennon and United central defender Steven Taylor.

And while he has been in talks with Jimenez regarding Taylor’s new contract, I am told Lennon has not been mentioned.

Spurs are one of the clubs currently being linked with Blackburn’s England right- winger David Bentley, who is rated in the £15m bracket.

And United fans may be asking themselves why Newcastle are not being linked with Bentley.

But in the past couple of years and since they bought the £10m Oba Martins on the never-never – they still owe Inter Milan £6m – United have not paid out big money for anyone.

This follows the disastrous signings of Jean Alain Boumsong and Albert Luque for the best part of £20m.

The policy of Mike Ashley, Wise and Jimenez to sign top young players is an admirable one, but what Keegan wants at the moment are ready-made players – and Lennon comes into this category.

Lennon was born and bred in Leeds, and a couple of years ago he was homesick and found life difficult in north London.

The United manager of the time Glenn Roeder was aware of this and was on the brink of trying to lure Lennon to St James’s Park when the winger was suddenly and surprisingly called up by Sven-Goran Eriksson for England’s World Cup squad in Germany.

Having returned from holiday Keegan was back at his desk today at his base at the United training ground.

And with Euro 2008 just a week away from ending, United fans will be hoping there is some action in the transfer market soon.

I think Lennon is a bit of tw*t but he's got cracking pace and I think he would do a good job in a Keegan team.

He's only 21 I suppose...

This "lack of end product" malarky sounds like a self-fulfilling prophecy. Perfect players are very rare.

I agree, but the lack of end product is probably the reason Spurs are willing to sell him to us (if true).

This "lack of end product" malarky sounds too like a self-fulfilling prophecy. Perfect players are very rare.

Yep.

Bellamy and Dyer (at his best) had no end product at all, but their pace scared the shit out of defences and made a lot of space for Shearer. Owen would benefit from those kinds of clever runs from the likes of Lennon.

In fairness it does take a lot more skill to make up for a lack of pace than it does pace to make up for a lack of skill, and it keep the opposition on the back foot, especially if you've then got pacey players to move with them (Martins) and/or clever players to take advantage of it (Owen, Viduka) - Robson's team, of course, had both.

I'd still be hoping we'd be able to go a tad higher in filling some other positions though.

Yep.

In fairness it does take a lot more skill to make up for a lack of pace than it does pace to make up for a lack of skill, and it keep the opposition on the back foot, especially if you've then got pacey players to move with them (Martins) and/or clever players to take advantage of it (Owen, Viduka) - Robson's team, of course, had both.

I'd still be hoping we'd be able to go a tad higher in filling some other positions though.

On that, I'm just up to the chapter in SBR's biography where he is talking about Dyer and how he had nothing but pace and an average 5m pass and how important he was to the team.

I never rated Dyer but compared to the pedestrian midfield we've had to watch since SBR was sacked, I'd be enthused if we had a player that was pace and a 5m pass tbh.