Bassong on trial at Newcastle

Jimbo

Magpies take defender on trial

Newcastle United manager Kevin Keegan has reportedly taken Metz defender Sebastien Bassong on trial at St James' Park.

Bassong is set to leave Metz after they were relegated from France's top flight last season. The Lorraine club finished bottom of Ligue 1 with a total of 24 points from 38 games.

The 22-year-old has previously been linked with Premier League rivals Everton.

Keegan is looking to bolster his backline after the summer departures of Stephen Carr, Peter Ramage and David Rozehnal and Bassong could win a deal if he impresses.

The Paris-born player has made 79 appearances for Metz over the last three seasons and scored one goal after graduating from the club's B team. He played 19 times for the club during the last campaign.

good good. win / win situation.

Hope he's not another Gooch, Diatta etc.

kk has got time to judge though.

so he won't cost us anything if he's shit.

and if he's the next sagna, unlikely, we'll get him on a free. easy.

I'm all for bringing in bodies to bolster the squad, I just wish we'd also bring in some ready made players who fill me with the confidence to fit straight into the first team.

That's true, while I'm content with Jonas and indifferent to Guthrie and this Bassong fella, I'd like a signing where I'm sure he'll fit well into the side.

Magpies take defender on trial

Newcastle United manager Kevin Keegan has reportedly taken Metz defender Sebastien Bassong on trial at St James' Park.

Bassong is set to leave Metz after they were relegated from France's top flight last season. The Lorraine club finished bottom of Ligue 1 with a total of 24 points from 38 games.

The 22-year-old has previously been linked with Premier League rivals Everton.

Keegan is looking to bolster his backline after the summer departures of Stephen Carr, Peter Ramage and David Rozehnal and Bassong could win a deal if he impresses.

The Paris-born player has made 79 appearances for Metz over the last three seasons and scored one goal after graduating from the club's B team. He played 19 times for the club during the last campaign.

Excellent :icon_lol:

Fucking hell you can't blame one guy for a team's relegation. You've got no idea how he played. You're simply reacting to one sentence in a brief article? :icon_lol:

I'm all for bringing in bodies to bolster the squad, I just wish we'd also bring in some ready made players who fill me with the confidence to fit straight into the first team.

howay man Jonny when I say that elsewhere you give me grief man !!!!

Sounds too similar to Boumsong for my liking. Not worth the risk imo.

Wasn't it the Four Tops who said "it's the same old song"

and the Who said "meet the new boss same as the Old boss"

howay man Jonny when I say that elsewhere you give me grief man !!!!

Do I shite. :icon_lol:

You know far and well I give out as an objective view as anyone!

• 10 months later...
SEBASTIEN Bassong has been included in the Cameroon squad for next month's World Cup Qualifier against Morocco.

I thought he was French but apparently he's eligible for both.

Fucking hell you can't blame one guy for a team's relegation. You've got no idea how he played. You're simply reacting to one sentence in a brief article? :lol:

The man's a curse! :wub:

SEBASTIEN Bassong has been included in the Cameroon squad for next month's World Cup Qualifier against Morocco.

I thought he was French but apparently he's eligible for both.

Taking the easy way out I think. If he'd kept on the way he is and learned how to not give away stupid fouls, he could've made it to the French national team imo.

i think if we can keep taylor, bassong and beye, we'll have a good nucleus of defenders that can perform at championship level. can we afford heir wages though?

i presume it's the attackers that are all on the massive wedge and they can all fuck off tbf

i think if we can keep taylor, bassong and beye, we'll have a good nucleus of defenders that can perform at championship level. can we afford heir wages though?

i presume it's the attackers that are all on the massive wedge and they can all fuck off tbf

If we can get the youth to be our attacking edge, Vuckic (sp?) LuaLua, Ranger et al, then that back four plus experience in Butt and Duff could see us comfortable cope with the Championship imo.

this based on nothing more than my third can of Red Bull today.

If we can get the youth to be our attacking edge, Vuckic (sp?) LuaLua, Ranger et al, then that back four plus experience in Butt and Duff could see us comfortable cope with the Championship imo.

from what I've seen of the championship this season I would agree, I think the fact we seem determined to keep our back four together is a massive positive as a beye taylor bassong duff/enrique four looked pretty good in the prem last season when they were all playing together

Think it's going to be a little harder than that. :lol:

It will also be important to pick up a few experienced Championship players who know what it's about.

Edited by Park Life