3 weeks go and I`m far from convinced

jaythesouthernmag

So its three weeks tomorrow before we kick off against Man U and to be honest I`m far from thrilled by what has happened since last season finished, with the exception off getting shot of Carr

We have our second pre-season game today and neither Owen or Martins will not play any part, Viduka is still crocked(which is something we will no doubt be getting used to), Jonas cant play due to registration issues. So our front two will proberbly be Smith & Ameobi which is a complete joke

Owen is quoted as saying he is three weeks behind and Vid wont be around for a few months, so if Oba gets a knock then we are stuck with a shite pair of strikers for the first 4/5 games and then Owen/Vid will need games to get "match fit"

Jonas will proberbly need some time to find his feet

Barton is going to take to get back into it

We still have issues at the back

We should have had players on board before the pre-season games to give them time to bond with the squad and get used to KK

Once again we are handicaping ourselvs before we have even kicked a ball, great start eh??

Yes, it would have been nice to have had more players in by now. But, the window is open for ages yet. Season starts in a few weeks. There is still time. Even if we get 4 players in (I reckon we'll only get two) we'll still have a small squad. There's a time to panic, but its not yet.

Yes, it would have been nice to have had more players in by now. But, the window is open for ages yet. Season starts in a few weeks. There is still time. Even if we get 4 players in (I reckon we'll only get two) we'll still have a small squad. There's a time to panic, but its not yet.

Yeah but by the time the window closes we could have already been beat by Man U & Arsenal and the games against Bolton & Hull are hardly bankers with our current players.

Some teams can afford to buy late and then allow their new players to settle in, we cant.

KK wanted players before pre-season, it didnt happen and I dont blame him one bit. The buck stops with them at the top

i thought this type of thing would start three weeks into the season.

Premature.

You might be happy with the way things are going so far but I`m worried. We needed players to come into the squad and have a full pre-season with the lads. We are either going to panic buy and end up with the wrong players or not sign anyone

We are going to get players who the top for and Spurs dont want

We will be competing with Pompey,City,Everton and Blackburn for players and do you trust Wise and co to sell the club to them??

Yeah but by the time the window closes we could have already been beat by Man U & Arsenal

You think buying 3-4 players will change that? ;)

Yeah but by the time the window closes we could have already been beat by Man U & Arsenal

You think buying 3-4 players will change that? ;)

It might mean we wouldnt get a caning, I also said that Bolton & Hull wont be bankers either which you choose to edit out

The fact of the matter is we are short on numbers and have limited quality and zero creative midfield players plus our best strikers are injury prone. In reality if Ashley was ambitious for the club to succeed we would have had 8 or 9 in by now, Jonas & Gutherie hardly strenghthen his case

To be fair I've got to agree with Jay, things are shite at present - there really is an air that we've fucked up once again but this time we have no excuse of Fat Freddy being in charge - Ashley is getting worse by the day as far as I can see. We're going to struggle next season as it is, by not getting things sorted prior to the first game of the new season we're shooting ourselves in the foot with a bad start before a balls been kicked - I know we like to make life hard for ourselves but I'm rapidly losing faith in Ashley bringing any form of glory days or even exciting football back to this club.

i thought this type of thing would start three weeks into the season.

Premature.

You might be happy with the way things are going so far but I`m worried. We needed players to come into the squad and have a full pre-season with the lads. We are either going to panic buy and end up with the wrong players or not sign anyone

We are going to get players who the top for and Spurs dont want

We will be competing with Pompey,City,Everton and Blackburn for players and do you trust Wise and co to sell the club to them??

There's no arguing with that is there? Whatever the club does, some supporters will complain about the lack of vision behind any flurry of signings we do make (like Guthrie) because we simply can't attract top players without European football. Even more would complain if no signings at all were made.

The one thing the club hasn't done is panic buy, either in this window, or the January one. The players we bring in have to be either better than what we have, or potentially better and cheaper. Clearly this rule is being adhered to hard and fast.

At the end of last season anyone who expected us to spend £100M on Europe's top talent was thinking wishfully. I've always been of the opinion that 90% of any improvement we make next season will have to come from Keegan's motivation of the players already at the club. I'm sure 3 or 4 more signings will be made, I don't expect them to be any more exciting than Spiderman though.

To be fair I've got to agree with Jay, things are shite at present - there really is an air that we've fucked up once again but this time we have no excuse of Fat Freddy being in charge - Ashley is getting worse by the day as far as I can see. We're going to struggle next season as it is, by not getting things sorted prior to the first game of the new season we're shooting ourselves in the foot with a bad start before a balls been kicked - I know we like to make life hard for ourselves but I'm rapidly losing faith in Ashley bringing any form of glory days or even exciting football back to this club.

Nail on head there. If we are supposedly going to be better organised, then transfer targets will have been set out and the offers, however derisory will have been made. It hasnt come off and now we are looking at another list and it seems like we are struggling even to get those. The fact of the matter is that we are short in most departments, particularly defence which most concerns me.

We don't want to secure rip-offs in the mould of Babayaro, Boumsong, Luque, Marcelino, Goma, Domi, Maric, Smith etc. just for the sake of signing people.

Obviously you need to break eggs to make an omelette, but without European football I'm happy to stock up on plenty of inexpensive youth in the hope that one or two come good.

We don't want to secure rip-offs in the mould of Babayaro, Boumsong, Luque, Marcelino, Goma, Domi, Maric, Smith etc. just for the sake of signing people.

Obviously you need to break eggs to make an omelette, but without European football I'm happy to stock up on plenty of inexpensive youth in the hope that one or two come good.

Problem at the moment is an season of injury like we has under Roeder (which was very extreme admittedly), and we'd probably not be able to field a team for a few matches this coming season.

I'm not even sure we've got a proper 1st 11 yet, at least for anything but the formation Keegan played last season.

Tbf it's not just us, it seems like there has been little transfer activity throughout the league. I fully expect us to have a few more faces in my the close of the transfer window and that's when I'll judge the board.

KK would of had a list of players he wanted in, that list would of been scouted by wise & co. and offers have been made and knocked back, it seems like we have got to the bottom of that list and we have secured 2 players

3 weeks to go, I dont think we will see any more signings

KK would of had a list of players he wanted in, that list would of been scouted by wise & co. and offers have been made and knocked back, it seems like we have got to the bottom of that list and we have secured 2 players

3 weeks to go, I dont think we will see any more signings

Any reason for you to think that?

No one expect spidey, then bang he was a toon player.

TBH I think the chicken little impression is pathetic.

None of us know what is going on, so crying that the sky is falling won't solve a thing.

Edited by sammynb

haven't Aston Villa been linked to 123 players?

the nay sayers need to calm the fuck down.

You shouldn't be on here, you should be at the cinema seeing The Dark Knight. ;)

So its three weeks tomorrow before we kick off against Man U and to be honest I`m far from thrilled by what has happened since last season finished, with the exception off getting shot of Carr

We have our second pre-season game today and neither Owen or Martins will not play any part, Viduka is still crocked(which is something we will no doubt be getting used to), Jonas cant play due to registration issues. So our front two will proberbly be Smith & Ameobi which is a complete joke

Ameobi and Smith won't be here.

Owen is quoted as saying he is three weeks behind and Vid wont be around for a few months, so if Oba gets a knock then we are stuck with a shite pair of strikers for the first 4/5 games and then Owen/Vid will need games to get "match fit"

See above. ^^^^^

Jonas will proberbly need some time to find his feet

3 months I reckon.

Barton is going to take to get back into it

Unless he gets a late night Mac craving.

We still have issues at the back

KK loves to build from the front. :razz:

We should have had players on board before the pre-season games to give them time to bond with the squad and get used to KK

When you're aiming for 10th it isn't that much an issue.

Once again we are handicaping ourselvs before we have even kicked a ball, great start eh??

It's the way we like it.

;)

Nail on head there. If we are supposedly going to be better organised, then transfer targets will have been set out and the offers, however derisory will have been made. It hasnt come off and now we are looking at another list and it seems like we are struggling even to get those. The fact of the matter is that we are short in most departments, particularly defence which most concerns me.

I don't think they factored in getting turned down by 70 million players.