Seb's on song

The Fish

Keegan impressed by trialist

Magpies boss to decide on Bassong

Last updated: 27th July 2008

Sebastien Bassong Metz

Bassong: Waiting to learn fate

Kevin Keegan is set to make a decision on trialist Sebastien Bassong after he turned in a fine display in Newcastle's latest pre-season friendly.

The Metz defender played the full 90 minutes as the Magpies lost 1-0 to Doncaster on Saturday.

He has been training with the rest of the squad for the past week and Keegan admits he has been impressed.

The Newcastle boss is now mulling over whether the 22-year-old has done enough to earn a deal.

"I thought he did very well and we'll see where we go from here," Keegan told the club's official website.

"He's not a kid. He's played 70-odd times in the French First Division and has played for France Under-21s.

"He's one we've had with us a week and we've seen him train and wanted to see him in a match and this was a very good test for him.

"For someone new he did very well."

:icon_lol:

http://www.fcmetz.com/voir.php?id=5029

Football Club of Metz and Newcastle United found an agreement financial concerning the international defender hope Sebastien Bassong. This one very soon will sign a contract with the English club, which l' had put at l' test throughout last week. Formed with the FC Metz, Sebastien Bassong carried the garnet-red shirt to 87 recoveries. He registered a goal, at the time of season 2006/2007.

I thought we were getting him for free not buying him. :rolleyes:

he still has a contract with Metz. I think the trail was an argeement with the club so that we could have a look at him.

If he doesn't keep the number 46 it's a fucking travesty the like of which hasn't been seen since 5ive failed to win a grammy!

I thought we were getting him for free not buying him. :rolleyes:

he still has a contract with Metz. I think the trail was an argeement with the club so that we could have a look at him.

Sorted then.

I wonder how much he will cost. :rolleyes:

Skysports:

Newcastle have reached an agreement with Metz regarding their defender Sebastien Bassong.

The France Under 21 international recently underwent a trial period with the Magpies, featuring in their pre-season friendly defeat at Doncaster.

The Premier League side are understood to have agreed a fee for the 22-year-old, although personal terms are yet to be finalised.

The move is expected to be completed in the next few days, ending Bassong's three-year association with Metz.

The full-back had been linked with Everton earlier in the summer, but Newcastle would appear to have beaten their rivals to the player's signature.

He has made 87 appearances since making his professional bow in 2005 and has scored one goal.

Sebastien Bassong has exclusively told setantasports.com how happy he is to have signed with Newcastle United, following a successful trial.

French second tier club Metz revealed on Tuesday they had agreed a transfer fee with The Magpies for 22-year-old defender Bassong, who impressed during a week-long trial.

Kevin Keegan strengthens his squad with the former France Under-21 international, who has expressed his intense joy and emotion to us.

“I’m content, very satisfied to sign with Newcastle,” Bassong told setantasports.com.

“To be honest, I didn’t expect this to happen, it’s huge for me.

“No, it’s not a dream come true to me, but it’s impossible to measure how motivated I am.

“The law of competition will show who plays and who doesn’t.

“I’ll have to adapt during a period of time, I don’t know how long it’s going to take me.

“Nevertheless, I’m ready to sit on the bench if I have to.

“I will be played at centre back, oh yes.”

From Wikipedia :rolleyes:

This signing, along with 2 other made by Kevin Keegan this summer in the transfer market, shows that Spurs aren't actually able to steal every player Newcastle are linked with.

From Wikipedia :rolleyes:

This signing, along with 2 other made by Kevin Keegan this summer in the transfer market, shows that Spurs aren't actually able to steal every player Newcastle are linked with.

:rolleyes: Just the good ones :rolleyes:

Glad to see that KK was impressed nby a defenders performance in a defeat to a newly promoted Championship side.