Insomnia

trophyshy

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Stevie
I am sick of ma life here like. ffs. :lol:

You just have to ride it out :) I had it about 6-10 months ago, where I'd just not get an minutes sleep, can't switch off things on me mind. There was a game last season at home to Liverpool when we lost 0-3 at home, I didn't sleep a wink the night before, went tto the match ratty left even worse. It's a horrible affliction especially if you're a cunt like me who needs 7 hours for your brain to function properly. It's bizare because a situation in my life sorted itself out, and I started sleeping perfectly again just like that.

Had trouble last night so I put TGTBATU on.

Think I dropped off just after Tuco takes Blondie to his brothers monastary.

"You know what you are? You're the son of a thousand fathers, every one of them a bastard like you. And your mother, it is better that we do not speak of her."

:lol:

I had serious sleep problems for ages. If it really bothers you, being sensible is the only solution. I liked staying up late so had to put up with the fact I wouldn't sleep regular. After a while I got sick of being shattered and this was the 12 point plan that sorted me...

1. Go to bed at the same time every night.

2. Get up at the same time every morning, irrespective of how much sleep you got that night.

3. The alloted-bed time and rise time should give you at least 6 hours.

4. The alloted-bed time and rise time should give you at most 8 hours.

5. Don't eat anything for an hour or two before bed (especially sugary food).

6. Use your bedroom only for sleep and sex. Don't watch telly, read a book or play any games in bed.

7. Allow as little light into your room as possible, complete darkness is best.

8. Concentrate on going to sleep as soon as your head hits the pillow. I find it useful to try and try and see the lightshow that occurs behind your eyes when they're closed.

9. Allocate half an hour before bed as thinking time. Have a bath or a wank or a shit but nothing that gets your mind ticking over (like a chat forum).

10. Turn any clocks away from you in bed so you cannot find out how long you've been lying there.

11. If you're thinking "shit, I can't get to sleep. Get up and don't go back to bed until you're tired. 10 - 15 minutes is a general rule of thumb on how much time to give yourself (but you shouldn't keep checking a clock).

12. Alcohol in excess is bad for sleep. If you go an a bender on Saturday, excpect little sleep on Sunday night. Lots of water on Sunday will lessen the effect.

12. Alcohol in excess is bad for sleep. If you go an a bender on Saturday, excpect little sleep on Sunday night. Lots of water on Sunday will lessen the effect.

Thats what Sunday day time sessions are for. Sunday roast. Several Guinnesses. In bed for 10-11. Sorted the next day !

I had serious sleep problems for ages. If it really bothers you, being sensible is the only solution. I liked staying up late so had to put up with the fact I wouldn't sleep regular. After a while I got sick of being shattered and this was the 12 point plan that sorted me...

1. Go to bed at the same time every night.

2. Get up at the same time every morning, irrespective of how much sleep you got that night.

3. The alloted-bed time and rise time should give you at least 6 hours.

4. The alloted-bed time and rise time should give you at most 8 hours.

5. Don't eat anything for an hour or two before bed (especially sugary food).

6. Use your bedroom only for sleep and sex. Don't watch telly, read a book or play any games in bed.

7. Allow as little light into your room as possible, complete darkness is best.

8. Concentrate on going to sleep as soon as your head hits the pillow. I find it useful to try and try and see the lightshow that occurs behind your eyes when they're closed.

9. Allocate half an hour before bed as thinking time. Have a bath or a wank or a shit but nothing that gets your mind ticking over (like a chat forum).

10. Turn any clocks away from you in bed so you cannot find out how long you've been lying there.

11. If you're thinking "shit, I can't get to sleep. Get up and don't go back to bed until you're tired. 10 - 15 minutes is a general rule of thumb on how much time to give yourself (but you shouldn't keep checking a clock).

13. Just kill yersel and be done with it. :lol:

"You know what you are? You're the son of a thousand fathers, every one of them a bastard like you. And your mother, it is better that we do not speak of her."

I saw it when it was on telly the other week. When the double amputee talks to Angel Eyes, I reflected on how when I first saw this film I was shocked by the sight of a man with no legs. After working on a vascular ward where they'll lop of a limb if you sit still for long enough for a month the sight merely bores me.

I saw it when it was on telly the other week. When the double amputee talks to Angel Eyes, I reflected on how when I first saw this film I was shocked by the sight of a man with no legs. After working on a vascular ward where they'll lop of a limb if you sit still for long enough for a month the sight merely bores me.

You'll be wearing a blackened toe necklace soon enough.

And to add to HF's sensible advice, eat a lettuce on white bread sandwich for supper.

How does that help? Sounds like an old wives tale to me. :lol:

No, I believe it doea help you, I was told years ago by a Doc that Lettuce contains something that reduces restlessness and is very calming. Then someone told me with white bread it works even better!

I looked it up on Wikipedia, it says this

Lettuce is a fat free, low calorie food. It is a valuable source of vitamin A and folic acid. Lactucarium (or “Lettuce Opium”) is a mild opiate-like substance that is contained in all types of lettuce. Both the Romans and Egyptians took advantage of this property eating lettuce at the end of a meal to induce sleep.

And to add to HF's sensible advice, eat a lettuce on white bread sandwich for supper.

Well she is an old wife after all...

Well she is an old wife after all...

and isnt that depressingly true :lol:

No, I believe it doea help you, I was told years ago by a Doc that Lettuce contains something that reduces restlessness and is very calming. Then someone told me with white bread it works even better!

Lettuce is a fat free, low calorie food. It is a valuable source of vitamin A and folic acid. Lactucarium (or “Lettuce Opium”) is a mild opiate-like substance that is contained in all types of lettuce. Both the Romans and Egyptians took advantage of this property eating lettuce at the end of a meal to induce sleep.

Ok, and how does the bread help??? :)

Working shifts, my sleep is all fucked up, especially if I'm coming off a string of nightshifts and only have 2 days off before I'm back in on day shifts, I tend to either lay there awake getting stressed or I get pissed.

..and if that doesn't work :lol: :lol: :):D

It's a horrible affliction especially if you're a cunt like me who needs 7 hours for your brain to function properly.

thats a good one.... true as well. we all need our 7 hours.

take some advice, don't stare into a computer screen all day, its bad for you. mix it up a bit, watch telly as well.

Ok, and how does the bread help??? :)

Easy to absorb calories maybe (sort of the opposite of low GI, quick spike then drop off - bananas are supposed to be good for that too).

I've had all sorts of problems with sleeplessness recently. Had a case of the ManFlu this week so I've been taking Night Nurse before bed each night and I've slept through no problem. Possibly not the most healthy or cost-efficient cure for insomnia in the long run though. :)

The Olympics not being on has helped too, mind. The fewer potential distractions, the less your brain is likely to say "well, you could just stop trying to sleep and go and do this instead...".