Two late bids up our sleeve.

Park Life

judgement time almost up.

and the verdict is ?

The verdict probably needs to be deferred until we've seen the new kids play. If they're owt like the ones we've already signed then the verdict will be that this is our most promising, step-in-the-right-direction transfer window in years. Wouldn't you agree?

cop-out

Is that it then, Leazes? Is that all we're getting from you? I've gone for the careful, considered response to signing two players that I know fuck all about in response to a question you asked, and all I get in terms of discussion is "cop-out". What's your reaction?

bloody hell Gem lad you've lost your sense of humour :lol:

I didn't realise you were joking. What would your reaction be though?

I don't think that the club will be successful if they continue down this path with every signing. There comes a point where you need to pay the going rate for top proven players. Why else do you think ManU, Chelsea, Liverpool do it

Like Jobby says (I mistyped that to start off with, but I have decided not to correct it <_< ), Coloccini is a pretty big signing, and at the minute we need to build a squad of capable players. If we keep improving the squad in the same way that we have with the Coloccini/Guttierez signings then I don't really care how much they cost or whether they're "top proven players". Even the top proven players were relative nobodies at one stage in their careers.

While I agree with both of your points here, I think that the likelihood that we as a club are going to be the ones uncovering the top players through unimpressive transfers is small. Even in his first stint Keegan wasn't exactly the best at spotting young talent and bringing it through; he was more a buy the finished product kind of manager.

That being said, he knew how to build the squad slowly, bringing in guys like Kilcline and Paul Bracewell along with the likes of Rob Lee to keep the squad large enough with "replacement level" players (to take a phrase from Baseball--as an American :D) so that he wouldn't break the bank signing a full squad all at once without risking having to unready play youth players in case of injury. (Even without a reserve set up)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

and the verdict is ?

The verdict probably needs to be deferred until we've seen the new kids play. If they're owt like the ones we've already signed then the verdict will be that this is our most promising, step-in-the-right-direction transfer window in years. Wouldn't you agree?

cop-out

Is that it then, Leazes? Is that all we're getting from you? I've gone for the careful, considered response to signing two players that I know fuck all about in response to a question you asked, and all I get in terms of discussion is "cop-out". What's your reaction?

I don't think that the club will be successful if they continue down this path with every signing. There comes a point where you need to pay the going rate for top proven players. Why else do you think ManU, Chelsea, Liverpool do it

Like Jobby says (I mistyped that to start off with, but I have decided not to correct it <_< ), Coloccini is a pretty big signing, and at the minute we need to build a squad of capable players. If we keep improving the squad in the same way that we have with the Coloccini/Guttierez signings then I don't really care how much they cost or whether they're "top proven players". Even the top proven players were relative nobodies at one stage in their careers.

While I agree with both of your points here, I think that the likelihood that we as a club are going to be the ones uncovering the top players through unimpressive transfers is small. Even in his first stint Keegan wasn't exactly the best at spotting young talent and bringing it through; he was more a buy the finished product kind of manager.

That being said, he knew how to build the squad slowly, bringing in guys like Kilcline and Paul Bracewell along with the likes of Rob Lee to keep the squad large enough with "replacement level" players (to take a phrase from Baseball--as an American :D) so that he wouldn't break the bank signing a full squad all at once without risking having to unready play youth players in case of injury. (Even without a reserve set up)

Keegan's not the one doing the talent spotting this time around though. He's got some well-connected types doing that for him from what I can gather.

and the verdict is ?

cop-out

Keegan's not the one doing the talent spotting this time around though. He's got some well-connected types doing that for him from what I can gather.

Fair enough, I suppose, but I still feel that clubs like ManU, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea have much more infrastructure around the world to spot these players coming along. It seems odd to me the amount of NUFC kits I see in the US (Even here in the Twin Cities there were 50+ to watch the opening day match and we actually outnumbered the ManYoo fans) while NUFC doesn't have much of a presence here. I'm not sure the partnerships with MLS sides is really helping either side, but there are substantially greater presences here by other clubs, even clubs as small as Burnley and Crystal Palace.

I'm all for signing the top class players, but I think we have to be realistic and say that we can't sign a Rooney at the moment because he wouldn't come. So lets sign players who'll get us to that next level, while fattening up the youth at the club in the hope that they'll springboard us without the need to spend £30m on a 15 goal a season striker with a massive ego.

I'm all for signing the top class players, but I think we have to be realistic and say that we can't sign a Rooney at the moment because he wouldn't come. So lets sign players who'll get us to that next level, while fattening up the youth at the club in the hope that they'll springboard us without the need to spend £30m on a 15 goal a season striker with a massive ego.

I was in the gym at lunch time and SSN where saying he was the premier leagues most prolific striker......I sat there thinking, no hes the most prolific sulker