Ashley: club is not for sale

smoggeordie

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking about this today. I genuinely dont get all the stick thrown at Wise for anything other than being Dennis wise? Sure, he was a little prick as a footballer, but I really know fuck all else about him or what he does or doesnt do for this club. I couldnt argue to get rid of him as I dont knnow what he is or isnt to blame for. Our chairman is another matter, I hold him responsible for communicating with the fans (Llambias) and at the moment that side of the club is amongst the worse I can remember. Half of the problems come out of the way things are or arent communicated from the club.

I think today's announcement ended any chances of Owen staying.

I really hope you're wrong... I was hoping that stability might improve the chances of him staying, but I guess we'll have to wait and see how things unfold in the new year.

I remember reading last week that there was a chance of Mort coming back. Do any of you know if there was truth to that? Could Ashley's decision (or long overdue announcement of his real intentions... :unsure: ) at least herald some positive changes - like Mort's return? The article did state that one of Mort's conditions for coming back would be that Ashley takes the club off the market.

Why do many continue to post about that we will sign duds for peanuts?

I am no Ashley fanboy but why are you so sure he will invest nowt and that it will be shite players? Colo, Guti, Bassong and Guthrie (for the money paid for him) have all been good signings so far. Admittedly Xisco and Speedy were panic buys (though I would still give Xisco a chance as he came with a semi-decent reputation). If Ashley etc bring in players that are of the same standard as Bassong, Colo and Guti I couldnt care if it cost them 2 million or 20 million tbh..

Talking about this today. I genuinely dont get all the stick thrown at Wise for anything other than being Dennis wise? Sure, he was a little prick as a footballer, but I really know fuck all else about him or what he does or doesnt do for this club. I couldnt argue to get rid of him as I dont knnow what he is or isnt to blame for. Our chairman is another matter, I hold him responsible for communicating with the fans (Llambias) and at the moment that side of the club is amongst the worse I can remember. Half of the problems come out of the way things are or arent communicated from the club.

Agree with both of these posts.

I am no Ashley fanboy but why are you so sure he will invest nowt and that it will be shite players? Colo, Guti, Bassong and Guthrie (for the money paid for him) have all been good signings so far. Admittedly Xisco and Speedy were panic buys (though I would still give Xisco a chance as he came with a semi-decent reputation). If Ashley etc bring in players that are of the same standard as Bassong, Colo and Guti I couldnt care if it cost them 2 million or 20 million tbh..

Apart from engineering Keegan's walkout, and that any decent players signed have very little to do with him, there's no problem with Wise. :unsure:

So do I to an extent but have you looked at the league table? it gives the lie to the myth that Wise/Jiminez have made "good" signings...they have made signings to make us continue to tread water, to keep running to stand still. I was in the San Siro a few years ago with a centre back pairing of Titus Bramble and Andy O'Brein.Go Figure.

Welcome back Mike, you really have won the battle for hearts and minds. So considerate of you to clear up any uncertainty for us and as for seeking worthy custodians, well I don't know why you don't just look in the mirror Mike?

All you need to do now is give JK £2 million so he can buy three or four promising Conference/Bolivian players and instruct him to sell anyone in the first team who will raise £4 million or more. Then you can worthily custode that cash for the great club too.

One thing though, how can you be so sure your text message gets to Joe before anyone elses?

Because that is the Mike Ashley business model, he buys a business, sells off all its good assets then replaces them with average, cheap goods which he then sells on at a profit later on. I dont necessarily think they will buy duds but what I do believe they will not do is buy proven world class players at the top of their game. Everything has a price tag in the Ashley world, everything and that price is not necessarily set at the "fuck me you'd be an idiot not to sell at such a profit level". A profit is a profit to MA. He will try and squeeze as much out of each player as possible. Buy them in cheap, offer low wages (meaning we attract less quality), build up their profile and sell on for 2 or 3 million profit, repeat until fade.....

Welcome back Mike, you really have won the battle for hearts and minds. So considerate of you to clear up any uncertainty for us and as for seeking worthy custodians, well I don't know why you don't just look in the mirror Mike?

All you need to do now is give JK £2 million so he can buy three or four promising Conference/Bolivian players and instruct him to sell anyone in the first team who will raise £4 million or more. Then you can worthily custode that cash for the great club too.

One thing though, how can you be so sure your text message gets to Joe before anyone elses?

Because that is the Mike Ashley business model, he buys a business, sells off all its good assets then replaces them with average, cheap goods which he then sells on at a profit later on. I dont necessarily think they will buy duds but what I do believe they will not do is buy proven world class players at the top of their game. Everything has a price tag in the Ashley world, everything and that price is not necessarily set at the "fuck me you'd be an idiot not to sell at such a profit level". A profit is a profit to MA. He will try and squeeze as much out of each player as possible. Buy them in cheap, offer low wages (meaning we attract less quality), build up their profile and sell on for 2 or 3 million profit, repeat until fade.....

This is the problem even if we don't go down this season, by next season (or the season after if Ashley still doesn't get his price) we could have a Derby challenging squad if we're not careful.

For one I dont think we could afford them nor would they want to come. Owen aside, and even he is debatable as it wasn't as if clubs were lining up to sign him, when was the last time we signed a proven world class player? Shearer?

All this talk of asset stripping, who have we got rid of to make a quick buck other than the media reports? Yes we sold Milner, but at 12 million who wouldn't? Yes a mistake was made in letting him go and not bringing in a replacement but how do we know that the intention was not to bring someone in but the end of the transfer window scuppered that. If we are going to be taken in by whats reported who is to say that Robinho not going to Chelsea affected the supposed move by us for Malouda?

So far I have seen Faye and Rozenhal shipped out and replaced by Colo and Bassong who as of late have looked an impressive partnership and Guti replace Milner, again an upgrade in my opinion. You could argue we have not replaced the likes of Emre but did he ever need replacing?

The proof will be in what he does in January as to how serious he intends to take the club forward but I don't for one minute to expect him to spend silly money.

For one I dont think we could afford them nor would they want to come. Owen aside, and even he is debatable as it wasn't as if clubs were lining up to sign him, when was the last time we signed a proven world class player? Shearer?

All this talk of asset stripping, who have we got rid of to make a quick buck other than the media reports? Yes we sold Milner, but at 12 million who wouldn't? Yes a mistake was made in letting him go and not bringing in a replacement but how do we know that the intention was not to bring someone in but the end of the transfer window scuppered that. If we are going to be taken in by whats reported who is to say that Robinho not going to Chelsea affected the supposed move by us for Malouda?

So far I have seen Faye and Rozenhal shipped out and replaced by Colo and Bassong who as of late have looked an impressive partnership and Guti replace Milner, again an upgrade in my opinion. You could argue we have not replaced the likes of Emre but did he ever need replacing?

The proof will be in what he does in January as to how serious he intends to take the club forward but I don't for one minute to expect him to spend silly money.

And so it shall, if however we sell Given, Taylor, Owen, N'Zog then thats 4 replacements required on top of the strengthening we already desperately needed. My moneys on us at best breaking even, sell those and use the money to buy maybe 6 or 7 lesser players. Thats not progress its asset stripping at its ugliest. If two of those players turn out to be Xisco'esque ie disappear without a trace then we are no better off than we are now.

I dont expect the big money signings or silly wages, thats not running a club properly within its means but I do expect actual investment on top of selling players we DONT need.

And so it shall, if however we sell Given, Taylor, Owen, N'Zog then thats 4 replacements required on top of the strengthening we already desperately needed. My moneys on us at best breaking even, sell those and use the money to buy maybe 6 or 7 lesser players. Thats not progress its asset stripping at its ugliest. If two of those players turn out to be Xisco'esque ie disappear without a trace then we are no better off than we are now.

I dont expect the big money signings or silly wages, thats not running a club properly within its means but I do expect actual investment on top of selling players we DONT need.

Yes that will be asset stripping but at this moment in time its purely speculation and opinion. I just do not see the point in calling him everything under the sun and making claims about what he will or won't do when in truth we have no idea..

Well said. :unsure:

Newcastle legend Peter Beardsley has urged fans to forgive and forget following owner Mike Ashley's decision not to sell the club.

The billionaire businessman has announced he has taken the Magpies off the market after a fruitless search around the globe for a suitable buyer.

Supporters were divided in their response to the news, but Beardsley urged them to unite behind Ashley as he attempts to get the club moving forward once again.

He said: "It's good news. I have never had a problem with Mike Ashley.

"He came here with the right intentions and now with the transfer window about to open, hopefully it is good news for us.

"He never wanted to leave this club. He always wanted to be here, he wants to be back among the fans and hopefully he will get the chance to do that now.

"I hope the fans react in the right way. I think it is very positive, I think it's good news.

"We are a big club and we need a big owner, and he is certainly that.

"When you look at all the foreign owners - and there are some good ones, don't get me wrong - we have an English owner and that's a great thing.

"We can go forward now in a positive vein."

Ashley incurred the wrath of fans in the wake of Kevin Keegan's departure in September.

Keegan walked away from St James' Park in protest at the club's summer recruitment policy, and the role played in it by executive director (football) Dennis Wise.

However, Beardsley pointed to the work being done with the club's academy as evidence that the future is in good hands.

He said: "They have brought some good youngsters in and long may that continue.

"But the most important thing is the first team at the moment.

"[Manager] Joe [Kinnear] is doing a brilliant job in that respect and we are moving up the league, which is a great thing.

"If we could get the academy on the back of that, that would be perfect."

Beardsley's sentiments were echoed by Bob Moncur, the last Newcastle captain to lift a major trophy.

He said: "It's a good thing. Stability is crucial at a football club and I think Mike has made the right decision.

"If he goes one step further when he comes back and tells the fans exactly how things are going to be, I think he will find them a forgiving bunch.

"Mike has to be praised for the fact he has put the club on a sound financial footing.

"Maybe people can't see the benefits of that at the moment, but over the next three or four years, that could be crucial for this club."

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,1...4712751,00.html

Stability is crucial at a football club and I think Mike has made the right decision.

Yes.... apart from the truck load of wrong decisions that have destabilised the club to the point where a 1-5 thrashing seems like a positive.

Eventually Ashley is/was bound to make a decision that doesn't royally screw the club up further. :unsure:

"Mike has to be praised for the fact he has put the club on a sound financial footing.

Again that has gone from:

Debt is paid off.

To some debt maybe paid off.

To debt serviced.

I suspect there's a big hairy monster of debt hiding somewhere in the clubs accounts. Another 3 years of £0 transfer windows and I'll be amazed if we're not in the Champions League. :unsure:

Yes that will be asset stripping but at this moment in time its purely speculation and opinion. I just do not see the point in calling him everything under the sun and making claims about what he will or won't do when in truth we have no idea..

Yeah no bother, Im sure that in this business he will be different to how hes ran all of his other businesses, Im sure that his personal fortune dropping ridiculously and his heavy gambling losses will make him release funds.

Im also sure that black is white and Baggio is not a wanker.

Stability is crucial at a football club and I think Mike has made the right decision.

Yes.... apart from the truck load of wrong decisions that have destabilised the club to the point where a 1-5 thrashing seems like a positive.

Eventually Ashley is/was bound to make a decision that doesn't royally screw the club up further. :unsure:

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who bang on about stability being crucial

Yeah no bother, Im sure that in this business he will be different to how hes ran all of his other businesses, Im sure that his personal fortune dropping ridiculously and his heavy gambling losses will make him release funds.

Nice to see NUSC lose their last bit of credibility by claiming Ashley only decided to announce he's staying to spoil Sir Bobby day btw, Peasepud.

If yesterday was the best NUSC could come up with then good luck with getting people to renew their membership.

Nice to see NUSC lose their last bit of credibility by claiming Ashley only decided to announce he's staying to spoil Sir Bobby day btw, Peasepud.

If yesterday was the best NUSC could come up with then good luck with getting people to renew their membership.

Do we have a case rested smilie?

please feel free to show me anywhere that the NUSC have claimed that though.

Do we have a case rested smilie?

please feel free to show me anywhere that the NUSC have claimed that though.

It was read out on Sky Sports, plenty of people on N-O who heard it and have been talking about it.

I know you don't like going in that thread on there because you can't handle any sort of criticism direct NUSC's way but perhaps you should.

Newcastle legend Peter Beardsley has urged fans to forgive and forget following owner Mike Ashley's decision not to sell the club.

The billionaire businessman has announced he has taken the Magpies off the market after a fruitless search around the globe for a suitable buyer.

Supporters were divided in their response to the news, but Beardsley urged them to unite behind Ashley as he attempts to get the club moving forward once again.

He said: "It's good news. I have never had a problem with Mike Ashley.

"He came here with the right intentions and now with the transfer window about to open, hopefully it is good news for us.

"He never wanted to leave this club. He always wanted to be here, he wants to be back among the fans and hopefully he will get the chance to do that now.

"I hope the fans react in the right way. I think it is very positive, I think it's good news.

"We are a big club and we need a big owner, and he is certainly that.

"When you look at all the foreign owners - and there are some good ones, don't get me wrong - we have an English owner and that's a great thing.

"We can go forward now in a positive vein."

Ashley incurred the wrath of fans in the wake of Kevin Keegan's departure in September.

Keegan walked away from St James' Park in protest at the club's summer recruitment policy, and the role played in it by executive director (football) Dennis Wise.

However, Beardsley pointed to the work being done with the club's academy as evidence that the future is in good hands.

He said: "They have brought some good youngsters in and long may that continue.

"But the most important thing is the first team at the moment.

"[Manager] Joe [Kinnear] is doing a brilliant job in that respect and we are moving up the league, which is a great thing.

"If we could get the academy on the back of that, that would be perfect."

Beardsley's sentiments were echoed by Bob Moncur, the last Newcastle captain to lift a major trophy.

He said: "It's a good thing. Stability is crucial at a football club and I think Mike has made the right decision.

"If he goes one step further when he comes back and tells the fans exactly how things are going to be, I think he will find them a forgiving bunch.

"Maybe people can't see the benefits of that at the moment, but over the next three or four years, that could be crucial for this club."

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,1...4712751,00.html

Beardsley may have been a great player and a good bloke, blah blah blah, but he himself pissed off when the club showed no ambition and wasn't good enough for him, then came back when it started going places.

Typical of you to post such shite.