The Trent...

Scottish Mag

Yes Gemmill its died, well about to....

C028475A-0B26-6CF4-ADF8DA0AEAC8BA81.jpg

THE landlord of one of Newcastle’s best-known pubs is calling time on his bar after 23 years.

The Trent House on Leazes Lane will close in its current form on January 18 after owner Tom Caulker gave up the lease.

Famed for its free jukebox packed with soul hits, The Trent has forged a reputation as a unique drinking place in the city, not least with Newcastle United fans on match days.

But Mr Caulker is giving up his lease to concentrate more of his time on his club, World Headquarters, at Carliol Square.

Owner Scottish & Newcastle has found new owners who will take over on January 20.

Mr Caulker said: “It’s one of the few pubs in town that people really love. I had no idea the depth of feeling and I have been quite touched by all the people who have got in touch with me. I’ve always tried to run it independently and I think it has a unique feel.

“I have met lots of people, made lots of friends and now I feel it’s time to move into the next stage of my life.

“All the time I have run the Trent I have been DJ-ing and the day-to-day running of a pub doesn’t go with playing music in a club until 5am. I have got so much money invested in World Headquarters that I have to focus all my attention on that. I’ve got big plans for it.

“The new owners of the Trent come in with my full support and I’m sure they will do their best to manage it in their own way. A lot of the things in there are mine so I will be taking them with me. But I would like to think there will still be a bit of me left.”

Fans of the city centre watering hole have posted messages of support and sadness on website Facebook. And local residents and councillors say they will be sorry to see the Trent go.

Westgate ward councillor Nick Forbes said: “The Trent is in a conservation area, a historic area which is like a little village. Essentially it’s a village pub. It’s part of the local community.”

Newcastle East Liberal Democrat spokesman Greg Stone said: “It has always been more of a cultural institution than a pub, and its jukebox is deservedly legendary.

“I spent a considerable part of my student days there in the early 90s, and I know I am not the only one to appreciated its unique appeal.”

Rosie Serdiville, who lives opposite the Trent, said: “It has done a remarkable job of being a great place for students and people who are new to the area but also for people who live round here. It’s our local and we are really going to miss it.”

The Trent will be open Wednesday to Saturday next week.

Was wondering when this thread would surface...old news tbh :icon_lol:

Indeed.

The local resident quoted at the bottom of that article is my Dad's partner.

And my dad's, whats going on?

You're typing shite as usual, nowt else.

Was wondering when this thread would surface...old news tbh :angry:

Indeed.

:lol:

Handbags Greg, handbags! :icon_lol:

Indeed.

My fatha has been doing her for ages, when did your old man get into her furry purse?

Indeed.

My fatha has been doing her for ages, when did your old man get into her furry purse?

He only does her up the backdoor Barrymore due to his repressed homosexual tendancies. Or so I'm told.

If it reopens with a similar enough vibe, I doubt we'll shift - some people have been going there for so long they've actually started to take root. :icon_lol:

If it doesn't... gawd only knows. ;):D

There are other pubs in Newcastle? <_<

A vicious rumour. :icon_lol:

• 3 weeks later...