BNP Wives

Kid Dynamite

The world would be a poorer place without many aspects of Islamic culture imo, not least their architecture.

Durham cathedral for one. Parts of the architecture there are indeed middle eastern.

The status of the BNP and NF (if it still exists) will be interesting over the next year or so. Xenophobic tendancies may well escalate as people lose their jobs due to the recession.

I read somewhere that they think the stonemasons used might have been from the Islamic world. And when you look around it, it does have that sort of look in some of the arches etc.

Howay, is that really true? I don't mind giving credit to the islamic world where its due (e.g. for early mathematics and realising the value of systematic research, as well as fantastic islamic architecture) but surely Durham cathedral is an early gothic structure built by Norman stone masons? There can't be a region of the medievel world further from the islamic world either, in distance I mean. Doesn't it also predate the great mosques (that's more of an assumption because I don't really know).

Regardless, its my favourite building in the world.

Not in the top 20 buildings in Britain in my view, not bad though for something a stone thrown from the River Wear.

What are your top 20, out of interest?

I'm not doing 20 now, but 5 that to me are majestic are the Spanish Cit...(nah kiddin on) Edinburgh Castle when it's night time and it's all lit up and you're looking from Princes Street, it looks like a castle in the Sky. Bamburgh Castle, the jewel in the regions crown in my opinion, St Paul's Cathedral, Westminster Abbey and the Houses of Parliament all iconic and in a league of their own. I'd even put York Minster well above Durham Cathedral.

Are you sure that's nothing to do with the location? :lol:

I'm with Bill Bryson for once. It's a stunning building I think. The age makes it all the more impressive. It's all a question of taste I suppose.

We've got some great buildings in our area though. Bamburgh's Caste's nice although it's not as old as people think - being largely a Victorian restoration job. There's been a one there for about 1500 years though. Stunning location as well. I think I prefer 'proper' castles like the Keep in Newcastle or Dunstanburgh castle though (we really are blessed when it comes to castle in the NE). Agree with the buildings you chose btw. Edinburgh Castle in particular is amazing.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The world would be a poorer place without many aspects of Islamic culture imo, not least their architecture.

Durham cathedral for one. Parts of the architecture there are indeed middle eastern.

The status of the BNP and NF (if it still exists) will be interesting over the next year or so. Xenophobic tendancies may well escalate as people lose their jobs due to the recession.

I read somewhere that they think the stonemasons used might have been from the Islamic world. And when you look around it, it does have that sort of look in some of the arches etc.

Howay, is that really true? I don't mind giving credit to the islamic world where its due (e.g. for early mathematics and realising the value of systematic research, as well as fantastic islamic architecture) but surely Durham cathedral is an early gothic structure built by Norman stone masons? There can't be a region of the medievel world further from the islamic world either, in distance I mean. Doesn't it also predate the great mosques (that's more of an assumption because I don't really know).

Not in the top 20 buildings in Britain in my view, not bad though for something a stone thrown from the River Wear.

I'm not doing 20 now, but 5 that to me are majestic are the Spanish Cit...(nah kiddin on) Edinburgh Castle when it's night time and it's all lit up and you're looking from Princes Street, it looks like a castle in the Sky. Bamburgh Castle, the jewel in the regions crown in my opinion, St Paul's Cathedral, Westminster Abbey and the Houses of Parliament all iconic and in a league of their own. I'd even put York Minster well above Durham Cathedral.

I'm with Bill Bryson for once. It's a stunning building I think. The age makes it all the more impressive. It's all a question of taste I suppose.

We've got some great buildings in our area though. Bamburgh's Caste's nice although it's not as old as people think - being largely a Victorian restoration job. There's been a one there for about 1500 years though. Stunning location as well. I think I prefer 'proper' castles like the Keep in Newcastle or Dunstanburgh castle though (we really are blessed when it comes to castle in the NE). Agree with the buildings you chose btw. Edinburgh Castle in particular is amazing.

Spanish City?

Spanish City?

Many a childhood memory from that place. And not all bad either. What a dump though.

Spanish City?

Many a childhood memory from that place. And not all bad either. What a dump though.

The dome of the Spanish (Moorish) city has a kind of islamic look to it. ;) The general state of Whitley Bay is shocking now like, I was going to get round to starting a thread on it.

Bamburgh is as fake as Penshaw monument as well.

The overall architecture of Edinburgh is superb, especially the castle. I do like modern sky lines as well though (New York in particular), but wouldn't identify many individual buildings as special.

Thank fuck snakehips got this off topic. :D

The dome of the Spanish (Moorish) city has a kind of islamic look to it. :lol: The general state of Whitley Bay is shocking now like, I was going to get round to starting a thread on it.

Bamburgh is as fake as Penshaw monument as well.

The overall architecture of Edinburgh is superb, especially the castle. I do like modern sky lines as well though (New York in particular), but wouldn't identify many individual buildings as special.

Thank fuck snakehips got this off topic. ;)

Not quite like. It was restored in Victiorian times but some of it dates back to Norman times (the central keep I think - or part of it).

Cities like Manchester and Birmingham, characterless and boring must be so jealous of what fine architecture we have. I mean Manchester oh dear. Their best old building is the town hall, and you can tell it was one of them, put it up to keep them quiet but don't spend too much on it jobs.

Edited by Stevie

Cities like Manchester and Birmingham, characterless and boring must be so jealous of what fine architecture we have. I mean Manchester oh dear. Their best old building is the town hall, and you can tell it was one of them, put it up to keep them quiet but don't spend too much on it jobs.

The Midland Hotel in Manc is a lovely building like. I don't think either city has anything to touch Grey Street mind.

1. SJP (of Course)

2.Hadrians Wall

3.Battersea Power station

4.The Lloyds Building

5.Post Office(BT) Tower

6.Tyne Bridge

7.Forth Rail Bridge

8.York Minster

9.Sage Gateshead

10. Stonehenge

can't be arsed with 20

Just as well, half them aren't even buildings :lol:

That right?

Just grew then?

1. SJP (of Course)

2.Hadrians Wall

4.The Lloyds Building

5.Post Office(BT) Tower

6.Tyne Bridge

7.Forth Rail Bridge

8.York Minster

9.Sage Gateshead

10. Stonehenge

can't be arsed with 20

That right?

Just grew then?

I think walls and bridges are classed as structures rather than buildings.

1. SJP (of Course)

2.Hadrians Wall

4.The Lloyds Building

5.Post Office(BT) Tower

6.Tyne Bridge

7.Forth Rail Bridge

8.York Minster

9.Sage Gateshead

10. Stonehenge

can't be arsed with 20

That right?

Just grew then?

picky ,picky, picky ;)

The Midland Hotel in Manc is a lovely building like. I don't think either city has anything to touch Grey Street mind.

I'm pretty much right on top of the Midland. It's massive when you see it from above.

Grey Street is really beautiful like. Bath aside you're not gonna see that anywhere else outside of London. The Toon also has the advantage of having the iconic river architecture-I'd say it has the most instantly recognisable 'identity' of all UK citites.

1. SJP (of Course)

2.Hadrians Wall

4.The Lloyds Building

5.Post Office(BT) Tower

6.Tyne Bridge

7.Forth Rail Bridge

8.York Minster

9.Sage Gateshead

10. Stonehenge

can't be arsed with 20

That right?

Just grew then?

picky ,picky, picky ;)

The Forth Bridge though :D

It's a wank city that spawns classless urchins regardless of their blood stock.

:lol: Subtle.

;) do you think he's trying to get a rise like?

Hatred is a very unattractive feature in a fat lad, Stevie. xx

:lol: do you think he's trying to get a rise like?

Don't flatter yourself honey :wub:

:lol: do you think he's trying to get a rise like?

Don't flatter yourself honey :wub:

Palpable tbh. Anyway I told you to change the record yesterday.

whats wrong with the spanna like, its being renovated at the mo. its gonna be a real icon.

whats wrong with the spanna like, its being renovated at the mo. its gonna be a real icon.

Nowt, when me nana used to take me down when I was 5 or 6 it was class, but...since then it's turned wank. Whitley Bay used to be lovely, but then all the scum from North Shields, Blyth, Ashington, Wallsend, Billy Mill etc... have completely ruined it.

That's the thing though, so long as you only look at one part of anything and squint a bit, there's always nice bits.

Where as in reality pretty much all religion (and most "culture") is just acceptable bigotry/them and us-ism.

That's the thing though, so long as you only look at one part of anything and squint a bit, there's always nice bits.

Where as in reality pretty much all religion (and most "culture") is just acceptable bigotry/them and us-ism.

I don't disagree, it was more a defence of it in the face of a this religion is worse than this one-type of argument. I do love the architecture though.

The BNP should really make a point of recruiting some hot bitches.

No facking sooties though. Mind you, that Frank Bruno's alriight [/cockney wanker - the viz]

I don't disagree, it was more a defence of it in the face of a this religion is worse than this one-type of argument. I do love the architecture though.

Aye it's nice (and relatively Tsunami proof), but even that isn't really that, as it takes its influences from several different pre-Islamic places as well.