Ashley KOs third Keegan return

TheMoog

KEVIN Keegan will have a secret meeting with Newcastle chiefs tomorrow to thrash out a potential world record £9million pay-off – after they snubbed his offer to become Toon boss for a third time.

Tyneside legend Keegan quit the club last September after a bitter fall-out over Newcastle’s transfer policy.

But representatives for Keegan, 58, approached the club, saying he’d drop his £9m unfair dismissal claim and return as coach IF owner Mike Ashley sacked director of football Dennis Wise, who is hated by many fans.

Ashley has so far resisted Keegan’s offer, which would have delighted the Toon Army and saved the club a huge payout.

Newcastle fanatic Keegan has told friends he is alarmed at his former club’s current situation.

He would love a return to St James’ Park – especially as current boss Joe Kinnear, 62, is recovering from his second triple heart bypass operation.

Kinnear’s No.2 Chris Hughton and coach Colin Calderwood are currently in charge of the struggling Geordies, who play Bolton today and are deep in the relegation mire.

Toon chairman Derek Llambias has admitted the Geordie giants ‘underestimated’ the anger of the Newcastle fans over Keegan’s controversial departure.

Llambias said: “The reaction was so big it was naive on our part – we didn’t realise how big it would be.

“Kevin is the messiah. He is a great guy. I promise you, Kevin was where we wanted to go.”

Keegan is a legend both as a player and coach at Newcastle. He scored 48 goals in just 78 games and helped them win promotion to the old Second Division in 1984. Keegan returned as coach in 1992 as a replacement for Ossie Ardiles in a desperate bid to stop Newcastle crashing into the old Third Division.

In a roller-coaster five years under him, the club almost won the Premier League title in 1995-96 and smashed the British transfer record with a £15m swoop for Alan Shearer.

But Keegan resigned in 1997, saying he had taken the club as far as he could.

He was replaced by Liverpool legend Kenny Dalglish. After spells as Fulham, England and Manchester City coach, Keegan returned for a second stint as boss in January last year, after Ashley sacked Sam Allardyce.

But if a compensation deal is not settled out of court, the row could rumble on until a trial date is set for later in the year.

Keegan coming back would be a bonus for me (I know it's an unfashionable thought but I'd love it), to be honest though it's the fact Ashley refuses to ditch Wise that bothers me the most.

Edited by Armchair Pundit

There is no way that Ashley will get rid of Wise which is a worry, regardless of how hated he is or how well he does/ doesnt do his job the one thing that stands out is that Dennis Wise would appear to be bigger than this football club (which possibly makes it the only thing other than the cast of a Snow White pantomime that he is bigger than).

Nobody should be that important and Ashley is letting personal friendships lead this club, that doesnt mean that KK is necessarily right for the job or even that I think the most important thing to do is get rid of Wise (which I do though) but that I wonder now exactly what DW would have to do before he was kicked into touch?

Wise doesn't need the money or the job, why can't he get it through his thick little skull that we don't want him here? Life is cruel.

How can he sit and watch that performance against bolton and not realise he has made the mother of all fuck ups - bloody hell it was beyond abject and we are going down - ffs something has to be done because with personality free hughton and calderwood in the technical area we are fucked - and as for the lads doing it for joe!!! they were utterly testicle free for the whole game - knackerless and clueless

But representatives for Keegan, 58, approached the club, saying he’d drop his £9m unfair dismissal claim and return as coach IF owner Mike Ashley sacked director of football Dennis Wise, who is hated by many fans.

IF he actually offered that and IF they then turned him down (which are huge ifs), then they deserve all the get.

This is insane like, we're managerless and have no motivation...and Keegan could get us out of the shit.

But NOOOOOO, we have to have everybody SUING EACH OTHER FOR FUCK SAKE!!!! 11

Edited by Asprilla

I just can't see how at any stage ashley could have stepped back and thought - yes i made the right choice - wake up man and smell the coffee- your team are clueless - surely the cheaper option is to let kinnears contract run down to the end of the season, tell wise to take an extended holiday until he can step down at the end of the season and reinstate keegan - its not fuckin hard

This is insane like, we're managerless and have no motivation...and Keegan could get us out of the shit.

Tragic comedy innit.

The papers would go absolutely mental, it'd be worth it just for that. :lol:

There is no way that Ashley will get rid of Wise which is a worry, regardless of how hated he is or how well he does/ doesnt do his job the one thing that stands out is that Dennis Wise would appear to be bigger than this football club (which possibly makes it the only thing other than the cast of a Snow White pantomime that he is bigger than).

Nobody should be that important and Ashley is letting personal friendships lead this club, that doesnt mean that KK is necessarily right for the job or even that I think the most important thing to do is get rid of Wise (which I do though) but that I wonder now exactly what DW would have to do before he was kicked into touch?

Was it Henry Winter who once wrote that as soon as a club's fans turn on a manager / DOF, the clock is ticking rapidly otherwise the chairman / owner is cutting off his nose to spite his face?

Definitely the case of what's happening here - pig ignorant and shear bloody minded! It might work in the sportswear industry but Mike is going to end up falling arse over tit in a massive way.

Tragically he's going to take my club with him :lol: