Drugs - Time to legalise - The Economist

Rob W

Completely agree. The moral and legal basis for drugs being prohibited is harm, for the law to be coherent (an absolute must for any moral code) then equivalent harm needs to be treated equivalently.

That doesn't take into account historical norms though. There's a massive difference between prohibiting alcohol (doomed to failure any way) and keeping class A drugs as illegal.

Gloom, coke and alcohol, as you have already pointed out, go together synergistically, which is one reason it's so harmful. It's not unusual for people to binge on alcohol in excess of 100 units in a session if they're coked up. I don't think increasing the availability of it is a good idea.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cannabis, maybe (though I don't think it should for practical reasons). Cocaine, no way.

I was banging a Doctor recently and she said that Cannabis was by far the worst drug going around. Can proper fuck you up apparently.

Historical norms like 'it was the 1970s, our attitude towards paedophilia was different back then'?

Nonsense.

Eh? Fairly sure practising paedophilia has always been illegal and are you seriously comparing that to alcohol consumption? :lol:

Yeah, I would argue making alcohol illegal is the more logical alternative giving the number of deaths it contributes to annually

What's logical about that? What you're advocating is deregulation of a substance which is so easy to produce that prisoners manage it with some fruit, sugar, water and a plastic bag. How long would it take before anyone who wanted to would produce their own booze? That's without even considering how quickly smuggling would flood the market. Even if you could prevent smuggling (which isn't remotely realistic) or ban it worldwide (ditto), then the homemade stuff would be everywhere. It would most likely taste like shit on the whole too, so you'd be actively discouraging many people who enjoy the odd glass of wine or whatever with a meal / of an evening etc., i.e. those who enjoy the taste and chilling out rather than getting drunk. Meanwhile pissheads and people with genuine drink problems would create and obtain what would be, in many cases, a dangerous product (both in terms of consumption and risks of fire / explosion.) There would still be the public health issues of death, addiction etc. (arguably more so) but the treasury wouldn't get the money which helps offset that. On top of that, it would cost an absolute fortune were you to try and police the ban.

That doesn't take into account historical norms though. There's a massive difference between prohibiting alcohol (doomed to failure any way) and keeping class A drugs as illegal.

Gloom, coke and alcohol, as you have already pointed out, go together synergistically, which is one reason it's so harmful. It's not unusual for people to binge on alcohol in excess of 100 units in a session if they're coked up. I don't think increasing the availability of it is a good idea.

a standard friday night back in the day :lol:

no drug is good for you but in my opinion the dangers of taking them are overblown. it should be down to the individual to make an informed choice and not have to endure the risks of buying crap on the streets.

i doubt this will ever happen, but at the very least i think the drug classification laws in this country should be reviewed and the punishments for possession and personal use should be massively downgraded.

I went through a weed smoking phase and I started getting really anxious highs, and I had what I'm pretty sure was a panic attack so I stopped. I hate it now.

i gave up after having a kid, the two don't really mix.

I used cannnabis quite a bit back in the day and Tbh really regret it because it definitely damaged my motivation. People are all wired differently at the end of the day and react differently to individual drugs and alcohol. Alcohol can't be banned now, but its a stupid argument to say because of that all drugs should be legalized imo.

Hi Alex btw.

What's logical about that? What you're advocating is deregulation of a substance which is so easy to produce that prisoners manage it with some fruit, sugar, water and a plastic bag. How long would it take before anyone who wanted to would produce their own booze? That's without even considering how quickly smuggling would flood the market. Even if you could prevent smuggling (which isn't remotely realistic) or ban it worldwide (ditto), then the homemade stuff would be everywhere. It would most likely taste like shit on the whole too, so you'd be actively discouraging many people who enjoy the odd glass of wine or whatever with a meal / of an evening etc., i.e. those who enjoy the taste and chilling out rather than getting drunk. Meanwhile pissheads and people with genuine drink problems would create and obtain what would be, in many cases, a dangerous product (both in terms of consumption and risks of fire / explosion.) There would still be the public health issues of death, addiction etc. (arguably more so) but the treasury wouldn't get the money which helps offset that. On top of that, it would cost an absolute fortune were you to try and police the ban.

welcome back!

all it took was some drug chat to lure you back from wherever you've been hiding.

I used cannnabis quite a bit back in the day and Tbh really regret it because it definitely damaged my motivation. People are all wired differently at the end of the day and react differently to individual drugs and alcohol. Alcohol can't be banned now, but its a stupid argument to say because of that all drugs should be legalized imo.

Hi Alex btw.

Motivation in what aspect? If you're going to blame being overweight on it then you're as bad as those who cry 'genetics' :razz:

Edited by ClubSpinDoctor

Motivation in what aspect? If you're going to blame being overweight on it then you're as bad as those who cry 'genetics' :razz:

No, I was a skinny bastard then, despite the munchies. I mean it was damaging academically.

You missed the point spectacularly.

It was suggested

Alcohol - bad for you - legal

Drugs - bad for you - illegal

So why not make drugs legal too

Edited

Edited by TheRollingStones

it's fucking bonkers that something like weed is illegal.

Or anything else that can be grown naturally.

The underlying issue is personal choice/responsibility and the control of that by states - my view is that the fact that drugs were only declared illegal when their use spread to the masses show that control is the reason not health.