Official Jimbo's TV Confirmation: Alan Shearer: Manager of Newcastle United

Jimbo

What's the betting Lardash has been trying to get Shearer in for weeks but to no avail? Shearer, like the rest of us, recognised the situation is desperate and has given in and dropped his objections in order to help the cause; desperate times and all that.

This club was standing in quick sand, sinking slowly into oblivion without the slightest attempt to get out. Someone has chucked us a rope, a rope we know and respect and one which could just help us out. The rope may break, but at least we will be trying to survive.

If anyone, anyone, didn't get a tingle of anticipation and excitement at the news of Shearer coming in in an attempt to save the day, then I'd question if they aren't true Newcastle United supporters. Yes, of course he might fail, and yes, it's yet another lurch from the club by those in charge/ownership, but at least Shearer's here trying to do something about the shit we're in; good on him.

imo he'll be in the dugout on Saturday. We're still expected to lose, but Shearer doesn't strike me as a man who would shy away from meeting the challenge head on, at the earliest opportunity. And Shearer isn't the man to take any shite, so Lardash, Wise and Llabia will have to tread very carefully over the next couple of months.

Good post Snakey, no doubt people will accuse him of only coming for (what will no doubt be a massive) payout but I honestly believe he does love the club and as you say sees exactly what is happening and wants to do whatever he can. It may not be enough that's the fault of others.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They better employ extra workers for the ticket office so all the fickle cunts can get tickets for saturday now

Cynical bastard that I can be, you've probably just mentioned the reason that Ashley chose the big man.

Bad ticket sales + Alan Shearer = much better ticket sales

Well it seems to be his one clue about how to run the club. Whenever we get in the shit just bring a legend in to pull us out.

If we are back to this situation next year he's gonna need someone who can raise the dead to bring in one of Jackie Milburn, Joe Harvey or Hughie Gallagher in.

I've only read the first six pages - but why's there nothing on .co.uk? Surely they'd let us know? I'm still a bit wary of the date - I don't care how many hours early the announcement was made.

What's the betting Lardash has been trying to get Shearer in for weeks but to no avail? Shearer, like the rest of us, recognised the situation is desperate and has given in and dropped his objections in order to help the cause; desperate times and all that.

This club was standing in quick sand, sinking slowly into oblivion without the slightest attempt to get out. Someone has chucked us a rope, a rope we know and respect and one which could just help us out. The rope may break, but at least we will be trying to survive.

If anyone, anyone, didn't get a tingle of anticipation and excitement at the news of Shearer coming in in an attempt to save the day, then I'd question if they aren't true Newcastle United supporters. Yes, of course he might fail, and yes, it's yet another lurch from the club by those in charge/ownership, but at least Shearer's here trying to do something about the shit we're in; good on him.

imo he'll be in the dugout on Saturday. We're still expected to lose, but Shearer doesn't strike me as a man who would shy away from meeting the challenge head on, at the earliest opportunity. And Shearer isn't the man to take any shite, so Lardash, Wise and Llabia will have to tread very carefully over the next couple of months.

Bang on. Of course my first reaction was "get the fuck in!". We know he has no experience and we know there is no guarantee it will work. However, if there is one thing he can do is lift the dressing room and get the team playing. He has presence. Two things you wont get from Houghton. He'll also lift the fans and hopefully get us all behind the team.

I still maintain we need 8 points from 8 games.

At the moment, Im not arsed about conspiracy theories, why's etc. Just getting points on the board however we can.

Bring it on.

They better employ extra workers for the ticket office so all the fickle cunts can get tickets for saturday now

Im sorry but how the fuck can you make that statement 2 posts after pointing out you gave your ticket away so you could do a bit overtime? ;)

Im sorry but how the fuck can you make that statement 2 posts after pointing out you gave your ticket away so you could do a bit overtime? ;)

Are you offering him out? I bet you think you're rock.

Im sorry but how the fuck can you make that statement 2 posts after pointing out you gave your ticket away so you could do a bit overtime? :nufc:

Are you offering him out? I bet you think you're rock.

;)

Guest Stevie

Like yee????

Half the toon fans on here divvint even fuckin gan, or have ditched season tickets like you. The life blood of NUFC are always going to be your peasepud's, your Alex's, you smoggeordie's, your me's.

Just got up and heard this news.

I feel a mixture of too little, too late and cynicism with a spine tingle of anticipation mixed in.

If we do stay up what happens then? - are we supposed to be happy going back to Kinnear or even Steve Bruce after having Shearer? If we go down anyway I don't think it will ruin Shearer for the fans but it might have an affect on him to the degree he would be reluctant to try again in better times in the future.

I think its a huge gamble but at the same time an "obvious" one.

A day of SSN mongness awaits - working from home due to expected riots and missing the fun that brings has its advantages.

Happy as a pig rolling around in shit.... ;)

I am excited as well. Not in the same way as last year when Keegan returned as Shearer as a manager is still a dark horse, but still a lot more hopeful than I've been the last couple of months.

Mental, which is par or the course for us.

Anyway, I think it's a good move, in the short-term at least. For one thing something needed to be done and I also think it might give the players a much needed lift and I'd like to think we'll now approach the games against the 'lesser' sides (especially at home) with a postive attitude, i.e. we'll have a go at them, which represents our best chance of survival.

I'd be lying if I wasn't a bit cynical about Ashley's motives, not least regarding the May ST deadline but at least I'll actually be looking forward to going to remaining games.

No doubt the droves of mongs will be lining up to be interviewed by Sky Sports. Get some oil money in. :jesus:

Canny choice...champions league next season. Way aye,

There's always an undertone of lingering bitterness in your posts Danny,do you know that? :nufc:

Must be shit being a spurs fan, a roller-coaster that goes in a flat straight line ;)

Think what your saying Tom. Really. You were jizzing your pants when Ramos got the push. Oh and 2 cup finals in 2 years?

You need to learn the difference between a roller coaster and a downward slope son.

I hear Spurs have announced a new stadium. Shouldn't you have started a thread on that?

Please do, and stay in the fucker, this is nowt to do with you.

Mental, which is par or the course for us.

Anyway, I think it's a good move, in the short-term at least. For one thing something needed to be done and I also think it might give the players a much needed lift and I'd like to think we'll now approach the games against the 'lesser' sides (especially at home) with a postive attitude, i.e. we'll have a go at them, which represents our best chance of survival.

I'd be lying if I wasn't a bit cynical about Ashley's motives, not least regarding the May ST deadline but at least I'll actually be looking forward to going to remaining games.

It certainly will give the whole place a lift. It won't be buzzing and if Ashley an Co. are thinking they can deflect attention from their shortcomings they are certainly wrong, but for the remaining games an overall more positive attitude will certainly be a big plus. On and off the pitch.

Like yee????

Half the toon fans on here divvint even fuckin gan, or have ditched season tickets like you. The life blood of NUFC are always going to be your peasepud's, your Alex's, you smoggeordie's, your me's.

;)

Love it when Newcastle get a new boss and it goes in the main news, rather than the sports section like it does for other clubs.

:nufc:

That's why Danny hates us.

We're a club that matters and always will be. ;)

Love it when Newcastle get a new boss and it goes in the main news, rather than the sports section like it does for other clubs.

:nufc:

First item on FiveLive news, just pipping Obama's visit to Downing Street ;)

Edited by alex

There are certain reasons why the phrase “Geordie Messiah” sprung so readily to mind last night as news of Alan Shearer’s appointment at St James’ Park filtered through. Newcastle United is a club that calls out for such intervention, just as it did when Kevin Keegan came to their rescue 17 years ago, although, as on that occasion, there is a case for aping the Monty Python team and arguing that, while there is a mess all right, there can be no Messiah.

The question, from Shearer’s point of view, is simple: why now? He has been so content in the comfort of the Match of the Day studio for so long, since retiring at the end of the 2005-06 season, that he seemed to be holding out for the perfect moment to fulfil his apparent destiny as Newcastle manager. He was supposed to be waiting until his hometown club had sunk to rock bottom, until it had reached the point at which it could only be propelled upwards, but instead he has taken over at a time when he must fear that Newcastle could yet slip even further towards oblivion.

That was Keegan’s fear in February 1992, when he took the call from Sir John Hall, who told him that there were only two people who could save Newcastle and that they were on opposite ends of the telephone line. Keegan arrested the decline, his mere presence giving a much-needed sense of belief and momentum to a team that had been in freefall and had them looking up towards the Premier League, where very soon they were giving Manchester United a run for their money, but, in Shearer’s case, the fear is that there is further to fall.

Newcastle were in a predicament long before Joe Kinnear took over as caretaker-manager in September, after the predictably short-lived Second Coming of Kevin Keegan, but now they are in the bottom three of the Barclays Premier League and in severe need of rescue. They have won just once in 12 league matches since December 21 and, with their next matches coming at home to Chelsea and away to Stoke City, there is a growing fear that they will be beyond help if they leave it any longer, a point clearly not lost on Mike Ashley, the club’s embattled and clearly terrified owner.

There is no reason whatsoever to assume that Shearer is a great manager in waiting. There is, however, every reason to assume that his appointment will engender the kind of fervour and excitement that, coupled with the passion in the stands at St James’ Park, might prove the difference in the final reckoning at the end of the season.

The suspicion is that this is a terribly short-sighted, short-term choice, but that is what everybody said of Keegan’s appointment at the time. It is what Newcastle need, which says everything about the depression that has engulfed the club in recent years. It is much the same now, as he takes over from Kinnear, an interim manager, and Chris Hughton, the caretaker manager, and, while the perils of dropping down into the old third division, which was about to be rebranded as the second division in 1992, were severe, it must be recognised that there is even more to lose right now.

The presumption is that the club have nothing to lose. It really has got that bad, just as it had by the time Keegan arrived 17 years ago. An upturn appears inevitable. If not, then it is not just his own long-term prospects that will take a nosedive.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle6012652.ece

Well I'm flabbergasted!!!! :nufc: Someone on my facebook hinted at this yesterday at noon by the way, but couldnt say anymore. I thought it was an April fool's too.

Im so hyper now I cant sleep. I rekon Shearer probably despises Ashley but has put that aside because of his genuine and obvious love for his club. I dont care what Ashley's motives are- we now have a chance, perhaps not of staying up but hopefully of rebuilding the club we all love.

Im torn in two really because I've always wanted Shearer in charge but not untill he'd gained some managerial experience elsewhere (preferably at Torquay united ;) ) Im so scared it will go wrong and spoil my dream. Still, something had to be done and BigAl seeing the complete shambles we are in probably felt almost compelled to step in, theres no one I'd rather have in charge.