Official Jimbo's TV Confirmation: Alan Shearer: Manager of Newcastle United

Jimbo

Shearer will be here next year, no doubt whatsoever and I think we might get into europe now!

Hold your horses man ffs :lol:

Got to say I don't know how anyone could have got the impression he was staying after 8 games. He categorically ruled it out several times.

He never really answered the question to be fair. He did answer "8 games and 8 games only" but I think that's pointing out what has been agreed. He evidently won't talk about anything beyond that rightly so as it's evidently not been something that's been discussed.

What a refreshing change after JFK to have a manager who will only talk about what he knows about and doesn't spout bullshit...

I'm also pleased to hear him talking about Ashley and Llambias on a first-name basis. I was never comfortable with either Keegan's "The owner" or "the chairman" nor JFK's "Mr Ashley". To be referred to in such a way should be done as a form of respect and I don't think either of them have done much this season to command respect.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Stevie
Shearer will be here next year, no doubt whatsoever and I think we might get into europe now!

Got to say I don't know how anyone could have got the impression he was staying after 8 games. He categorically ruled it out several times.

Do you not think he was being very cagey regarding many of his answers though. Things like "I hope to be in the stadium next season with Newcastle as a top flight club" and when pressed about his/Joes future saying that would be decided in the summer by other people.

That and the fact hes contracted to the BBC and JFK to us, I don't think he could have said much more than he did tbh..

This. Everyone knows he's staying. You could tell by his face, even people that are trying to put an alternative slant on it, they know he's staying too IF WE STAY UP. Every question about afterwards was deflected to "the powers that be" - you'll have to ask them. Everyone knows the crack.

I honestly got more excited when it became obvious that the relationship Iain and Alan have is a strong one. They seem to be bringing the enthusiasm and positivity back to St James'...

Reminds me of KK and Terry Mac when they first came back in '92 :lol:

I honestly got more excited when it became obvious that the relationship Iain and Alan have is a strong one. They seem to be bringing the enthusiasm and positivity back to St James'...

Reminds me of KK and Terry Mac when they first came back in '92 :lol:

Does that mean Iain Dowie is going to copy everything Shearer does, albeit a second or two after?

There's plenty doubt anyway.

He got put on the spot twice to rule it out and he didn't.

So what? He's media savvy. Use your loaf man. He's not going to rule anything in or out at this stage because there's no point in doing so. I'm as happy as everyone else but I've seen enough false dawns to realise this may just be another one. I'm not too bothered beyond the next 8 games anyway for now.

Absolutely. There isn't anything beyond guaranteeing survival. Nothing else matters. Run our players into the ground, bring back players a little early, get injuries if needs be... nothing other than survival matters.

I've got this belief that Dowie will be massively important in our survival, more than (if this makes sense) Shearer. I think he'll bring the experience we need, Shearer will bring the confidence and will bear the burden of pressure. No-one will be looking at the players now, the Media will focus on him.

Makes a nice change from Kinnear's first press conference. The memory still makes me cringe.

"Bird, you're a cunt!" live on SSN wouldn't have gone down well.

If he'd called Swanson one i'd have been over the moon.

Do you not think he was being very cagey regarding many of his answers though. Things like "I hope to be in the stadium next season with Newcastle as a top flight club" and when pressed about his/Joes future saying that would be decided in the summer by other people.

That and the fact hes contracted to the BBC and JFK to us, I don't think he could have said much more than he did tbh..

This. Everyone knows he's staying. You could tell by his face, even people that are trying to put an alternative slant on it, they know he's staying too IF WE STAY UP. Every question about afterwards was deflected to "the powers that be" - you'll have to ask them. Everyone knows the crack.

I'm tending to agree with this. I think what Alex says about him not discussing anything because he doesn't need to is probably true to an extent but to me, he looked very much like a man who, if given the choice, would snap their hands off to stay next season.

I'm tending to agree with this. I think what Alex says about him not discussing anything because he doesn't need to is probably true to an extent but to me, he looked very much like a man who, if given the choice, would snap their hands off to stay next season.

He'd love to in an ideal world I think. But he needs promises, and even if he gets them he'll be away if they're broken. I just hope to goodness 1) we stay up 2) he stays and 3) we're sold because, sadly a big injection of cash is the only thing that'll make a long term difference anyway.

I really hope your both right and I'm just shit at reading between the lines but I got a different impression. If we did stay up to go back to JFK would be unthinkable! :razz:

Anyway the next 8 games are crucial first and for the first time in months I have some hope.

Think it was a bit disingenuous to claim he's doing it all for the undying love of the club he has, that the money didn't come into it, that he wasn't doing it for himself in any way whatsoever, that he enjoys sitting on the sofa and being critical more than enough, that he's only done it to save us...

...but then asked if he'd have done it for any other club to bite his lip for 30 seconds and then say "I don't think so".

Edited by Happy Face

He'd love to in an ideal world I think. But he needs promises, and even if he gets them he'll be away if they're broken. I just hope to goodness 1) we stay up 2) he stays and 3) we're sold because, sadly a big injection of cash is the only thing that'll make a long term difference anyway.

Egssfookinsactly.

...but then asked if he'd have done it for any other club to bite his lip for 30 seconds and then say "I don't think so".

Maybe I'm wrong but when he did that i wondered if it was indicative that he was approached by Blackburn when Ince got the boot.... :lol:

I really hope your both right and I'm just shit at reading between the lines but I got a different impression. If we did stay up to go back to JFK would be unthinkable! :razz:

Anyway the next 8 games are crucial first and for the first time in months I have some hope.

If we stay up, bring JFK back and don't even offer it to Shearer there will be similar if not worse scenes around Newcastle than there was when KK left...

If we stay up, bring JFK back and don't even offer it to Shearer there will be similar if not worse scenes around Newcastle than there was when KK left...

Imagine the press releases.

FACT. Newcastle United offered Alan Shearer a full-time contract.

FACT. Alan Shearer took the part-time job in full knowledge of Joe Kinnear returning to his position

Edited by Stiva

Makes a nice change from Kinnear's first press conference. The memory still makes me cringe.

"Bird, you're a cunt!" live on SSN wouldn't have gone down well.

If he'd called Swanson one i'd have been over the moon.

I noticed Swanson was there and David Craig not. Move over Craigy it's Swanny time...

Stevie/Alex have it right.

He's media savvy and is under contract with the BBC. He's hardly going to commit to our future at the minute, 1 day into the job as he doesn't even have a contract in front of him!

I imagine that should we stay up, and Ashley doesn't dick about and bring Roy Keane/Ruud Gullit in as head of player recruitment, then he'll want to stay on.

There seems to be a bit of pant weeing at the thought of Shearer staying on next season. Crikey, he could be the shittest manager we've ever had!!

Let's just see what happens in the next eight games. Listening to his press conference, I have to say that the excitement was absent. For me. I just hope he's a bit better with the players (I'm guessing he must be).

Listen, I agree all that matters at the mo is staying up. But he refused to totally rule it out so we know...

IF WE STAY UP

He wants it, but naturally at this stage they cant agree anything in writing and he knows they are a bunch of slippery bastards, so knows everything would need to be in a contract.

That's the doubt I was on about dickhead :lol:

Edited by alex

Listen, I agree all that matters at the mo is staying up. But he refused to totally rule it out so we know...

IF WE STAY UP

He wants it, but naturally at this stage they cant agree anything in writing and he knows they are a bunch of slippery bastards, so knows everything would need to be in a contract.

That's the doubt I was on about dickhead :lol:

And anyone who thinks Ashley woke up on Sunday morning in a Scrooge like state after being visited by the ghosts of Toon past, present and future wants their heads examining.