Official Match Thread: Stoke 1-1 Newcastle United

JawD

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enrique, Taylor and Lovenkrands all ruled out.

FFS i'm sick to death of the shafting we get with injuries, you could guarentee that when Beye finally returned from injury, other defenders would start dropping like flies!

Enrique is a big miss, firstly because he's been in very good form and secondly because we have nothing adequate to replace him with on the left. They might end up playing Bassong there if he's fit, meaning Colo will have to get ready for a severe examination from Stokes big boys!

We've been unlucky but as we all know a small squad is asking for trouble. Especially when that squad includes a fair few injury-prone players.

we gonna get raped :lol:

+1

Just another step on the long road to the Championship. :lol:

I made that comment drunk, but looking at it in the cold light of day, we struggle in the air, they are likely to play collo and for a big lad he doesnt have struggle clearing the lines from high balls, might be better playing geremi back there, atleast he can head the ball

I see our emerging cult hero Nile Ranger is in the squad for Stoke, along with Carroll. He's eighteen, which is older than Shearer was when he made his debut (and followed up with that hat-trick on his first start). The idea of a fairytale in the making briefly crossed my mind, before I remembered this is NUFC, where things like that just don't happen :lol:

i dont have any clue why we persist with not giving younger players a chance and persist with people like damien duff who are the equivilent of blowing out a wet fart

Edited by charvski

Enrique, Taylor and Lovenkrands all ruled out.

FFS i'm sick to death of the shafting we get with injuries, you could guarentee that when Beye finally returned from injury, other defenders would start dropping like flies!

Enrique is a big miss, firstly because he's been in very good form and secondly because we have nothing adequate to replace him with on the left. They might end up playing Bassong there if he's fit, meaning Colo will have to get ready for a severe examination from Stokes big boys!

We've been unlucky but as we all know a small squad is asking for trouble. Especially when that squad includes mostly shit players.

childish I know.

I see our emerging cult hero Nile Ranger is in the squad for Stoke, along with Carroll. He's eighteen, which is older than Shearer was when he made his debut (and followed up with that hat-trick on his first start). The idea of a fairytale in the making briefly crossed my mind, before I remembered this is NUFC, where things like that just don't happen :lol:

I know he's got a good reputation, but he looked very poor and lazy in this weeks reserve match. Looked like Ameobi on a bad day. Only time I've seen him play so it might have been an off game.

Carroll played liked his life depended on it and some of the headers he jumped for and won were bone crunchers.

I will be very surprised if he doesn't start.

Hang on - were you at the reserve match the other night? :lol:

:lol:

I saw several reserve games last season and wouldn't read too much into them to be honest. Edgar was head and shoulders the best player regularly for the reserves; put him in the first team and it's a different story. Although as far as Carroll goes I think he's done fairly well this season in the bits and pieces he's had for the first team. If Shearer wants a target-man type I'd be happy to see Carroll get a game. He's excellent in the air, strong and far better at holding it up than Ameobi.

I saw several reserve games last season and wouldn't read too much into them to be honest. Edgar was head and shoulders the best player regularly for the reserves; put him in the first team and it's a different story. Although as far as Carroll goes I think he's done fairly well this season in the bits and pieces he's had for the first team. If Shearer wants a target-man type I'd be happy to see Carroll get a game. He's excellent in the air, strong and far better at holding it up than Ameobi.

At least you can play off Carroll as his touch is consistent (if not great). Shola's 2nd touch is a tackle more often than not and the occasional sublime bit of play is inevitably drowned amongst the ridiculous stuff. Wouldn't be against seeing three upfront with Owen dropping deep to help out the midfield.

At least you can play off Carroll as his touch is consistent (if not great). Shola's 2nd touch is a tackle more often than not and the occasional sublime bit of play is inevitably drowned amongst the ridiculous stuff. Wouldn't be against seeing three upfront with Owen dropping deep to help out the midfield.

Agree, especially with the last bit. He'd also be useful coming back for the inevitable barrage of long balls/throws that'll be heading towards our six-yard box tomorrow evening. We've got very few players who can handle that stuff - Carroll certainly can.

Agree, especially with the last bit. He'd also be useful coming back for the inevitable barrage of long balls/throws that'll be heading towards our six-yard box tomorrow evening. We've got very few players who can handle that stuff - Carroll certainly can.

Aye, good shout and we've missed that since Shearer. He did a very good job when he just cut anything out in and around the front post.

Stoke City manager Tony Pulis told BBC Radio 5 Live:

"It's bizarre [to see Newcastle struggling] because they've got some very good players.

"They've been unfortunate with [the illness of] Joe [Kinnear], because he seemed to have steadied the ship a little bit.

"They've brought Alan [shearer] in, and he'll galvanise the club, so it'll be a tough game for us.

Who started this frigging rumour? It seems to be gathering momentum as perceived wisdom rather than the patent bollocks it clearly is.

I was also at the reserves match and thought Carrol and Ranger were great together. Ranger is a very shearer-esque player. Not sure which match you were watching?

Supposed I arrived to watch him having only ever heard the hype. Quite often I thought he was out of position or more often, delayed in making the run into where the ball is going, like Ameobi does. Maybe he was just tired.

As ive said, it was only one look at him.

You saw him play did you, what...at a reserve match?

"It's bizarre [to see Newcastle struggling] because they've got some very good players.

"They've been unfortunate with [the illness of] Joe [Kinnear], because he seemed to have steadied the ship a little bit.

"They've brought Alan [shearer] in, and he'll galvanise the club, so it'll be a tough game for us.

Who started this frigging rumour? It seems to be gathering momentum as perceived wisdom rather than the patent bollocks it clearly is.

Sadly with most of the general populous if you say something often enough and they hear it enough it becomes true! Initially he improved on the complete shambles under Hughton (but who wouldn't have) and since then he's been found out as being nowhere near good enough, yet the belief still persists he was doing a good job.

Sadly with most of the general populous if you say something often enough and they hear it enough it becomes true! Initially he improved on the complete shambles under Hughton (but who wouldn't have) and since then he's been found out as being nowhere near good enough, yet the belief still persists he was doing a good job.

Aye. It's bizarre. Before falling ill his run of form was

Played 8

Won 0

Scored 6

Conceded 16

Points 3

Allardyce's was

Played 8

Won 2

Scored 7

Conceded 9

Points 9

Im very cautious today. I can just see hoofed balls or thrown balls into the box being our undoing. I reckon we'd do well to get a draw, but thats what Im going for 1-1.