London vs North East

Douggy B

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't confuse my concise style with any kind of emotion. Anyone who knows me will tell you I have a smile on my face 99% of the time.

Never trust a man (excuse the assumption) who smiles in his sleep.

Or actually.... :D

"Its such a magical experiance"

"Like no other city on earth"

"The home of football"

"Were more passionate than other fans"

If you can't tell the difference between that and stating a clubs achievements, there is no hope for you.

Bit plastic isn't it? Reasoning your love for the club solely on it's "achievements".

That's what makes Newcastle fans special you see. We don't do that. We can't.

You still don't get it do you? Every fan has a love for their club. Let me get back to Barnet, what have they won? Are their fans special? Would you consider their experiance magical?

No but they would.

Are you starting get it yet?

You still don't get it do you? Every fan has a love for their club. Let me get back to Barnet, what have they won? Are their fans special? Would you consider their experiance magical?

No but they would.

:D :D

I get what your saying danny, these are all abstract and subjective concepts. Barnet will be special to some people, and Man Utd to others...maybe a few more. This in itself does not make them special to all.

It boils down to 11 blokes on a pitch representing something, it's up to each of us to decide what they represent and what that means to us. For plastic fans of all clubs it may just be something to support so they can be involved in the most talked about entertainment in the land and bears no reflection at all on where they grew up or their family or their cultural heritage etc etc etc

I know what NUFC represents to me. It is special yet retarded and tied up with my growing up in the North East (arguably also special and retarded, but there's another thread for that somewhere). The collective feelings of the fans build up into a nebulous mass of how the club is perceived by both those within it's grasp and outsiders. Some people can see both sides, others only one. Intelligence varies widely amongst all fans, we all have our nongs but unfortunately the media seems to love nothing more than a angry/excited toon nong.

I don't think NUFC is more or less special than any other similar clubs, but I know what life is like up there, what the people are like up there and how their outlook, attitude, humour and sensibilities are special. It's not the club, it's the people.

Perhaps this explains your presence here, maybe you like the people too?

"Its such a magical experiance"

"Like no other city on earth"

"The home of football"

"Were more passionate than other fans"

If you can't tell the difference between that and stating a clubs achievements, there is no hope for you.

Bit plastic isn't it? Reasoning your love for the club solely on it's "achievements".

That's what makes Newcastle fans special you see. We don't do that. We can't.

No but they would.

So do you have a presence on the Barnet board telling them to wind their neck in?

You haven't got as many posts on 90 other boards have you? :D

Really? :D

Saddo

I get what your saying danny, these are all abstract and subjective concepts. Barnet will be special to some people, and Man Utd to others...maybe a few more. This in itself does not make them special to all.

It boils down to 11 blokes on a pitch representing something, it's up to each of us to decide what they represent and what that means to us. For plastic fans of all clubs it may just be something to support so they can be involved in the most talked about entertainment in the land and bears no reflection at all on where they grew up or their family or their cultural heritage etc etc etc

I know what NUFC represents to me. It is special yet retarded and tied up with my growing up in the North East (arguably also special and retarded, but there's another thread for that somewhere). The collective feelings of the fans build up into a nebulous mass of how the club is perceived by both those within it's grasp and outsiders. Some people can see both sides, others only one. Intelligence varies widely amongst all fans, we all have our nongs but unfortunately the media seems to love nothing more than a angry/excited toon nong.

I don't think NUFC is more or less special than any other similar clubs, but I know what life is like up there, what the people are like up there and how their outlook, attitude, humour and sensibilities are special. It's not the club, it's the people.

Perhaps this explains your presence here, maybe you like the people too?

The people of Stoke Newington are fabulous too, if you like Heroin trafficking Turks and Albanian hookers that is.

I cant be arsed to get into the whole debate about any club being special or not. What I will add though is the vast difference being in a small one club city. NUFC is on the vast majority of peoples lips every day. I can walk into any shop, or when I get my hair cut or whatever and the conversation will always get onto NUFC. Its the whole focus of the city. If I go to other cities they may be more rugby lead or may have more than one club. When people think about Newcastle (the city) they think about 1. Geordies and 2. NUFC. Both go hand in hand and have a unique identity. This doesn't make us special or anything, but you have to live here to understand it.

I cant be arsed to get into the whole debate about any club being special or not. What I will add though is the vast difference being in a small one club city. NUFC is on the vast majority of peoples lips every day. I can walk into any shop, or when I get my hair cut or whatever and the conversation will always get onto NUFC. Its the whole focus of the city. If I go to other cities they may be more rugby lead or may have more than one club. When people think about Newcastle (the city) they think about 1. Geordies and 2. NUFC. Both go hand in hand and have a unique identity. This doesn't make us special or anything, but you have to live here to understand it.

But it does, that's what our cocknee sparra can't quite get :D

How is that different to Sunderland or Boro? If boro sell out (they used to), thats like 1 in 3 of the population attending. Would you call that special?

Edited by Danny B

How is that different to Sunderland or Boro? If boro sell out (they used to), thats like 1 in 3 of the population attending. Would you call that special?

Would be nice to get an answer on this.

Boro don't sell out and even if they did it wouldn't represent 1 in 3 of the population. Will that do?

Is Boro a city? :D Anyway, not the point. Sunderland possibly so. A lot comes from the working class background and that mindset. I'm not sure about Boro though. People with far more football knowledge than I will say that Newcastle fans and city have a different passion. I haven't experienced what Sunderland or Boro is like day in day out to give comment. I was saying what Newcastle is like, I can't say what others are accurately like. Much like you. However, do Mackems or Smoggies have the same national identity? Do people across the UK even know what a Smoggy is? Many might not even know what a Mackem is while Geordie is known and associated with our club. This is about identity and Geordies have a much stronger identity than any of our north east rivals.

But, I'm on about the bigger picture, not just the north east.

This is of course getting away from the main point. What exactly was your point again?

This is of course getting away from the main point. What exactly was your point again?

I think it was that Laaandan are doing better than the North East at football.

If you ignore the WUmmery inherent in Danny B starting such a thread, then you can just use it to highlight how much of a Premier league obsessed, plastic, Sky Sports generation fan he is.

London has 8 clubs (Barnet, Brentford, Charlton Athletic, Crystal Palace, Dagenham & Redbridge, Leyton Orient, Millwall and Queens Park Rangers) in addition to the Premier league clubs (Arsenal, Chelsea, Fulham, West Ham United and Tottenham). So only 38% are good enough for the top flight.

We've got 3 top flight league clubs, plus Hartlepool, Darlington and Carlisle. So 50% of North East league Clubs are at the top level. Some might include Hull and say it's more like 57%.

So Danny, why it is that London football underperforms so badly?

Boro don't sell out and even if they did it wouldn't represent 1 in 3 of the population. Will that do?

Population of Boro: 135K.

I have already answered that earlier in the thread.

I would say that it is the shear number of clubs that share out great capital city, has lead to some falling by the wayside. Lets face it, when you have the city to yourself you have a captive audience and the benefits that brings.

Are you saying that makes us a special case?

:D

Population of Newcastle upon Tyne is 259K but I dont see your point Danny? Im not including North Tyneside or Northumberland just like you are not include other places in Teeside.

Actually, hang on, id you use 135K to support your 1 in 3 arguement? Are you saying Boro have had 45K attendances in their what 35K seater stadium or 25K at their old ground? Anyway, it pointless, if you want to compare attendance to population then you need to look at the catchment area of the ground not the just the borough the ground is in.

At least you admitted you were wrong.