Owen Carrol

not back till pompey game.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lawro:

Tottenham v Newcastle (1330 BST)

Tottenham are now looking up instead of down and will attack at home which will mean they create chances but leave themselves open at the back.

The changes Alan Shearer made with 25 minutes to go in the match against Stoke last week made a big difference and I feel Newcastle may have turned a corner.

Verdict: 1-1

I'd probably play 3 at the back again with Duff and Jonas as the wing-backs this time and Owen playing a deeper role behind Carroll and Shola. Not ideal by any means but there aren't exactly loads of options.

Can't see us getting a damned thing other than a good performance.

Spurs are on the up, playing with a lot more confidence than we are. Which helps them as their team seems to be based on confidence more than most. I'd put their start of the season down to a few bad decisions and zero self-belief. Once the new man came in, they've started to play with a little more swagger.

They're safe and we can hope to get a little mileage out of their complacency, but I think our best bet is to play ugly football and snatch what ever chances fall our way.

-------------------Harper

Beye Bassong Taylor Edgar Duff

-----------------Butt Nolan

------------------Gutierrez

----------------Owen Carroll

Spiderman to roam and Nolan to put a reducer or two onto Lennon and Keane

Lawro:

Tottenham v Newcastle (1330 BST)

Tottenham are now looking up instead of down and will attack at home which will mean they create chances but leave themselves open at the back.

The changes Alan Shearer made with 25 minutes to go in the match against Stoke last week made a big difference and I feel Newcastle may have turned a corner.

Verdict: 1-1

Not sure Lawro's being entirely objective there but I'd take it in a flash.

..well I don't like to brag, but it has been said that I'm a fucking genius.

Maybe, if you'd stuck Bassong on the left of the 3 :o

Harper

Beye. Staylor. Bassong. Edgar

butt

Lovenkrands. Guthrie

owen

Carol. Viduka

Lovenkrands in central midfield and an unfit Viduka just to keep Jonas out? :o

..well I don't like to brag, but it has been said that I'm a fucking genius.

Maybe, if you'd stuck Bassong on the left of the 3 :o

yeah the formatting on this board is messed up... no idea how that happened :o

Harper

butt

Lovenkrands. Guthrie

owen

Carol. Viduka

Thats going to be a rough midfield battle to win :o

Harper

butt

Lovenkrands. Guthrie

owen

Carol. Viduka

Guthrie did NOTHING against Stoke and the minute Jonas came on we looked infinitely the better side. Lovenkrands and Guthrie is far far too lightweight a midfield when we're not going to out football the opposition, not with our paucity of confidence. It sucks but we've got to out muscle, out work and out fight Spurs.

Viduka isn't match fit at all.

This is why you should only come out for a fortnight, once a year.

Harper

butt

Lovenkrands. Guthrie

owen

Carol. Viduka

Guthrie did NOTHING against Stoke and the minute Jonas came on we looked infinitely the better side. Lovenkrands and Guthrie is far far too lightweight a midfield when we're not going to out football the opposition, not with our paucity of confidence. It sucks but we've got to out muscle, out work and out fight Spurs.

I'd have Guthrie ahead of Nolan any day.

Harper

butt

Lovenkrands. Guthrie

owen

Carol. Viduka

same here.

nolans offered nothing so far.

looks fat, unfit and more importantly, uninterested.

Harper

butt

Lovenkrands. Guthrie

owen

Carol. Viduka

same here.

Looks like he doesn't have the legs so he isn't even going to be able to get stuck in. I'd go with Fish's team though (more or less) with Guthrie instead of Nolan.

Harper

butt

Lovenkrands. Guthrie

owen

Carol. Viduka

same here.

Looks like he doesn't have the legs so he isn't even going to be able to get stuck in. I'd go with Fish's team though (more or less) with Guthrie instead of Nolan.

I'd have Guthrie ahead of Nolan if we're going to be playing football. But that's not what we need the central pairing to be doing. We need them to be spoiling the day. Nolan might be shit, but he's made of sterner stuff than Guthrie. He's got the experience to know when and where to commit the fouls that are unfortunately going to be necessary.

If I had my pick it's be Barton and Butt in the middle.. and that's taking into account I think Butt's legs have left him long long ago.

We live in hope as always but I can't see us getting anything out of this game. If we're still missing Enrique, who absolutely locked Lennon down in the opposite fixture, we could be in for a rough time.

Ah, but didn't Lennon have his good game the other week against Chewsee?

Someone mentioned Defoe's pace. Hasn't he only just returned to training??

Harper

butt

Lovenkrands. Guthrie

owen

Carol. Viduka

same here.

I'd have Guthrie ahead of Nolan if we're going to be playing football. But that's not what we need the central pairing to be doing. We need them to be spoiling the day. Nolan might be shit, but he's made of sterner stuff than Guthrie. He's got the experience to know when and where to commit the fouls that are unfortunately going to be necessary.

If I had my pick it's be Barton and Butt in the middle.. and that's taking into account I think Butt's legs have left him long long ago.

I understand your reasoning but I've seen nothing to suggest Nolan can even spoil these days. I'd say Guthrie is at least as good at getting stuck in and a better player. Plus, you've picked a side that would at least try to play football in terms of the formation with Duff and Beye on the wings and Jonas in behind the front two. It's bad enough having to play Butt but Nolan as well? I'd rather not.

--------------Harper

---- Beye Bassong Saylor

------------------------------- Guti

------------ Guthrie Colo Duff

-------Owen

------------Viduka Cars

That is how I would play it.

Edited by Attain

CT

I rarely talk football... this is just one of those rare times.

alex, I guess we'll see what the big man puts out. I'd love us to play some great football and whatnot, but I just think Shearer would stick with experience and grit ahead of youth and promise.

Hmm I can't getting anything and can still see us relying on our home matches to stay up.

However it's Tottenham so you never know!

The added bonus is they don't have as much to play for.

CT

I rarely talk football... this is just one of those rare times.

alex, I guess we'll see what the big man puts out. I'd love us to play some great football and whatnot, but I just think Shearer would stick with experience and grit ahead of youth and promise.

That's what's got us into this mess tbh (not Nolan as such - but you know what I mean).